The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 756 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Metal (\M/ METAL \M/)
PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 5:58 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

i approve of the previous post.

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 9:09 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Watch The Flames wrote:
Holy Shit I have just been immersed in Between The Buried And Me for the past couple weeks. Spotify had everything but their newest which I went ahead and picked up on CD. Definitely a lot more toned down but what a listening experience it is. Colors and The Great Misdirect are my favorites right now! Amazing musicians. When not listening to them, which isn't much right now, I'm also really enjoying High On Fire, and Farsot. Thanks again for all the recommendations guys.

I only discovered BTBAM about a year and a half ago, can't believe I missed out on them for so long - they are by far my favorite band right now. I even saw them live 3 years ago, but I was there to see Mastodon/High on Fire so we were hanging out in the bar most of the time and not really paying attention.

Colors is probably my favorite album because of Sun of Nothing/Ants of the Sky (probably the best consecutive songs on any metal album),and I also love the Viridian/White Walls closing, but The Great Misdirect is their most listenable start to finish. While I love Parallax II, it just hasn't done for me what most of their stuff has. I really like Parallax I, Alaska and the self-titled too. While it's a good album, the one that gets the least play from me is The Silent Circus. The covers album is ok, Blackened, Us & Them, and Three of a Perfect Pair are my favorite tracks.

Saw them live in November 2011, probably the 3rd best show i've ever been to, and I'm finally seeing them again in 3 weeks in San Francisco.

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 9:25 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

bada wrote:
I click on the links in this thread and the music is cool then the guy starts growling and I lose interest.

That's kinda how I felt. I clicked on the other "non growling" vids but they are removed.

I really don't know much about metal. I listened to Anthrax and Metallica when I was in middle and high school. Watched a lot of Headbangers Ball back in the day too. I absolutely love those first 4 Metallica albums.

Some newer stuff I've heard is either too growly for me, or too fast. I realize I sound like an old fuck with that last one, but I guess PJ kinda shifted me to more groove rock and as my college days and 20's came on, I was into the Seattle stuff, hard rock, classic rock and alternative rock. I just kinda dropped metal out of my rotation.

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 9:32 pm 
Rank This Poster

darth_vedder wrote:
bada wrote:
I click on the links in this thread and the music is cool then the guy starts growling and I lose interest.

That's kinda how I felt. I clicked on the other "non growling" vids but they are removed.

the fuck? these videos had been online for years :|

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 9:34 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

conoalias wrote:
bada wrote:

no growling:

These are the ones I clicked on that didn't work.

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 9:34 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Heathen wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
bada wrote:

That's more my speed.

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 9:35 pm 
Rank This Poster

darth_vedder wrote:
Heathen wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
bada wrote:

That's more my speed.

check out their album To the Nameless Dead, it's all like that and all awesome

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 9:40 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

^ Will do.

What do metal fans think of a song like "Zero" by the Smashing Pumpkins? Or "Jesus Christ Pose". To me, those are pretty metalish. Or about as hard as hard rock can get.

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 10:01 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

darth_vedder wrote:
^ Will do.

What do metal fans think of a song like "Zero" by the Smashing Pumpkins? Or "Jesus Christ Pose". To me, those are pretty metalish. Or about as hard as hard rock can get.

I find the metal bands I like fall in the stoner/sludge metal categories. Heavy music but they sing in the more traditional sense.

PostPosted: Sat February 02, 2013 3:41 am 
AnalLog

I'm more or less with bada here, but I've been getting into the more abrasive vocal styles recently.

PostPosted: Sat February 02, 2013 8:19 am 
Rank This Poster

It took me a while to enjoy growls, I used to make fun of my friends who listen to death metal, but now I'm there and there's just a whole new world of great music available.

What I can't stand is the hardcore-ish kind of vocals, sounds so lame.

PostPosted: Sat February 02, 2013 11:56 am 
AnalLog

Basically my exact experience.

PostPosted: Sat February 02, 2013 11:58 am 
AnalLog

Metalcore is just awful.

PostPosted: Sat February 02, 2013 12:55 pm 
Rank This Poster

That kinda goes without saying

PostPosted: Sun February 03, 2013 6:33 am 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

Three metal points I have been thinking about lately.

1. Fade to Black by Metallica on the Binge and Purge box set has them most wicked double bass drum kick ever. Lars has that thing going crazy at the end.

2. Type O Negative- Everythig Dies: Incredibly dark, heavy, and meolodic. Too bad Pete had to die like everything else.

3. In high school my Dad took a couple of friends and I to a Life of Agony, Korn, and Ozzy Osbourne concert. I think it was 95. Right around when Ozzmosis came out. I know Joe Holmes was on guitar that night. Anyway, first time I ever heard Life of Agony and they stole the show. Korn was awful. Ozzy was losing the fastball but still cool. Anyway, I got super into Life of Agony. Keith Caputo was the singer. Keith Caputo can sing. Keith is no longer a man. He had a sex change and is female now. To each his own. I think that does however put to bed any chance of a Life of Agony reunion. Keith is now Mina Caputo.

PostPosted: Mon February 04, 2013 12:07 pm 
AnalLog

This video is so great.

PostPosted: Fri February 08, 2013 1:24 am 
Banned from the Pit

I was also not into the growling vocals for a long time. It always took me out of the music. The hardest metal I had listened to were the standards, Metallica, Slayer, Antrax, Pantera, and such. The band that changed all that for me was "Death". I don't know what it was, but now I can listen to just about anything and enjoy it regardless of the types of vocals. Death is now my all time favorite metal band, and probably in my top 5 bands of all time. Also, anyone not into any kind of growling needs to check out The Sword as well! Not hard metal, but you'll probably love them!

PostPosted: Fri February 08, 2013 12:57 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

And anyone who's into the Sword should check out Saviors.

they're like a cross between the Sword and Priestess (who you should also listen to)

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2013 8:36 pm 
Rank This Poster

will rule:

this is probably more to this thread's liking:

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 10:48 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

Black Sabbath and OM are now playing Adelaide on the same night.

Hey universe, fuck you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 756 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 38  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands