The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thr
PostPosted: Sat November 29, 2014 10:28 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Kevin Davis wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Kevin Davis and I don't often disagree. But when we do it's all the way, man.

The Decemberists are one of those bands where I absolutely love about 85% of everything they've done, but the remaining 15% I just unrepentantly hate. Very little middle ground. Can't really come up with a good explanation for why, except to surmise that maybe the theatrical nature of their songs comes across as precious and annoying if the songs don't work for me on some other level. Thankfully that theatricality seems to be dwindling away a bit -- "King is Dead" had an "everyday listening" vibe to it whose plainness was a welcome break from the typical "alternate Decemberists universe" of rogues and pirates and outdated words from the 18th century. Judging from what I've heard the new material tends that direction as well, though I hope we see more electric guitar and less harmonica this time out.

Yeah, that's probably the main difference for us, then. Bring on the pirates and ghosts and shape-shifting rapists and chimney sweeps.

The King is Dead was a very welcome break especially after Hazards. But I'd be sad if that's what they become from here on out. I'm holding out hope that, at the end of their career, King will be somewhat of an outlier.

PostPosted: Sun November 30, 2014 3:27 am 
tl;dr

Oh, don't get me wrong -- that stuff was part of why I fell in love with the Decemberists, and I strongly doubt they will ever release another record that I like as well as their first two (which basically play like the vanity projects of a collegiate theater company). But I can't imagine them pushing that element of their songwriting any further than "Hazards," and across the band's career I think Meloy's best songs ("California One," "Red Right Ankle," "On the Bus Mall") have always been the ones that have mixed a dash of sentiment in with the whimsy, and to that effect I find the songs on "The King is Dead" sound sharper and more durable for having tipped the scales a bit. Even the songs from those sessions that sound more traditionally "Decemberisty" -- namely "E. Watson" and "Burying Davy" -- sound rote not only compared to most of the rest of "The King is Dead," but more importantly to songs from earlier records that laid those templates. They were wise to omit those songs from the record (even though I like them both better than a couple tracks that made the cut). I think Meloy will always have a fondness for the antique (and even on "King" it is evident, if downplayed), but ultimately I am more intrigued by how he can evolve than how he can stay the same. I fear the latter is just going to result in a bunch of songs that sound okay but not as good as "Billy Liar."

PostPosted: Sun November 30, 2014 4:34 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I'm all about evolution. I certainly don't want them to remain stagnant, whatever they do. I just feel like those songs that you find so durable and endearing, I find generic and... easy (for lack of a better word). With the exceptions of Rox in the Box and the Hymns, the songs on King could have been written by a myriad other bands. I like those songs. But there's not much about them that's all together Decemberists-y. Other than Meloy's voice, obviously. It doesn't sound like a band expanding or growing, it sounds like a band not knowing what to do next so they chose the easiest, most accessible possible collection.

I listen to Long Live the King way more than The King is Dead these days. I think E. Watson, Foregone, Burying Davy and I4U are better than almost everything on King is Dead AND give me all the elements I love about the Decemberists. But none of them really feel like they belong on any of the previous albums. They have their own sound but still give me that ineffable quality that makes them Decemberists songs.

Having said all of that, I goddamn LOVE The King is Dead. It's still better than most of the other albums that I heard that came out that year.

PostPosted: Sun November 30, 2014 4:44 am 
tl;dr

"Foregone" is my favorite song from either of those releases. I would love to hear the new album explore that vein more thoroughly.

PostPosted: Sun November 30, 2014 5:26 am 
tl;dr

I just preordered this bitch (two copies actually, one for my brother for Christmas), along with Sleater Kinney's new album. Doing my part for the people of Portland today.

PostPosted: Sun November 30, 2014 8:55 am 
Rank This Poster

I rarely agree with dct but when I do it's all the way. Except for the part about TKID being better than most 2011 albums.

PostPosted: Sun November 30, 2014 10:02 am 
Rank This Poster

So I guess it's not really all the way.

PostPosted: Sun November 30, 2014 2:33 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Kevin Davis wrote:
I just preordered this bitch (two copies actually, one for my brother for Christmas), along with Sleater Kinney's new album. Doing my part for the people of Portland today.

:luv:

I preordered two copies as well. One on vinyl and one on CD. Because Decemberists.

And, yeah, more Foregone would not be a bad thing at all. I'd love a drive down that highway in a 2015 Decembersits.

PostPosted: Sun November 30, 2014 2:36 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Heathen wrote:
So I guess it's not really all the way.

But I was careful to qualify that it was "of the albums I heard." Which, duh, because how could I compare it to things I haven't heard. But what I should have added was that I think I only heard about a dozen albums that came out that year. And of those dozen TKID is one of only two or three that I listen to regularly.

PostPosted: Sun November 30, 2014 2:41 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Just skimmed wikipedia. Looks like I've heard 13 albums from 2011. One of which I just heard for the first time a few months ago. TKID is probably middle of the pack. So I overstated. It's not better than most of the albums that came out that year. But it's better than a few of the ones I heard. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun November 30, 2014 2:53 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Whole album leaked today.

PostPosted: Sun November 30, 2014 4:58 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

:shock:

PostPosted: Sun November 30, 2014 11:35 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Kevin Davis wrote:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon December 01, 2014 7:20 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Three songs in and I'm loving the holy shit out of this thing. It's so great to have them back!

The opening track cracked me up. Kevin, our earlier conversation made the song extra special. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.

PostPosted: Tue December 02, 2014 2:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I've listened to the whole thing a few times now and I just could not be more thrilled. After such a long (for them) hiatus, this band far exceeded my expectations. This is a really great album full of very different influences and sounds. There's quite a bit of bluegrass, which I love, and a peppering return of that Colin Meloy wryness and whimsy.

Trying to decide if I want to stip shit up with a song by song breakdown. If I do, I'll spoiler tag it so it doesn't bother everyone. But I need to give it at least one more complete listen before I'm ready to start thinking about writing about these songs in any detail.

Anyway, thanks Decemberists. It's been along time. I'm glad to have you back.

PostPosted: Tue December 02, 2014 2:49 pm 
Future Drummer

i like most of it quite a bit, the first 5 songs and the last one especially right now. the rest needs to grow on me i think.
'better not wake the baby' and 'easy come and easy go' might be skipped forever, though. right now those two might be some of the most annoying decemberist songs in the catalog to me. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue December 02, 2014 3:06 pm 
Future Drummer

'lake song' is gorgeous. :luv:

edit: i already changed my mind about 'better not wake the baby', its not that bad. i should not talk about songs
before listening to them a few times. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue December 02, 2014 4:25 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Anyone going to see them on this tour? I got tix (front row!) for the Chicago Theatre. Spike, you going?

PostPosted: Wed December 03, 2014 1:54 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Anyone going to see them on this tour? I got tix (front row!) for the Chicago Theatre. Spike, you going?

:luv:

Nice!

I'll be seeing them at the Beacon in April.

PostPosted: Wed December 03, 2014 1:54 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Mike wrote:
i like most of it quite a bit, the first 5 songs and the last one especially right now. the rest needs to grow on me i think.
'better not wake the baby' and 'easy come and easy go' might be skipped forever, though. right now those two might be some of the most annoying decemberist songs in the catalog to me. :lol:

That's funny, those are two of my favorites right now! :haha:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands