The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thread
PostPosted: Sat August 16, 2014 4:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67509
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
We had one on the old board, but I didn't see an official one on the board.

So here's a place where stip can come and learn about The Decemberists. And those of us that are already familiar can celebrate their genius.

And Heathen can come make fun of us.

Also, rumour has it, their new album should be dropping late this year or early next year.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thr
PostPosted: Sat August 16, 2014 4:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67509
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Stip, here are some samples, one from each of their albums.

From their first album: Castaways and Cutouts

Leslie Ann Levine



From their second album: Her Majesty

Billy Liar



From their third album: Picaresque

On the Bus Mall (many consider this their best song)


From their fourth album: The Crane Wife

The Island: Come and See/The Landlord's Daughter/You'll Not Feel the Drowning


From their fifth album: The Hazards of Love

The Wanting Comes in Waves (maybe my personal favorite of theirs)


From their most recent album: The King is Dead

June Hymn


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thr
PostPosted: Sat August 16, 2014 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 9:20 am
Posts: 3803
Location: Great southern land.
This is my favourite, as just discussed in the 2000's tourney thread:

The Rake's Song (from The Hazards of Love)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thr
PostPosted: Sat August 16, 2014 4:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67509
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
And here's Culling of the Fold (outtake from The Crane Wife sessions). Another contender for personal favorite.



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thr
PostPosted: Sat August 16, 2014 4:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 30, 2013 4:30 pm
Posts: 4728
durdencommatyler wrote:
And Heathen can come make fun of us.


I don't see why. Unless stip comes here and says something stupid like he always does.

_________________
cutuphalfdead wrote:
so glad i don't see signatures


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thr
PostPosted: Sat August 16, 2014 5:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67509
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Heathen wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
And Heathen can come make fun of us.


I don't see why. Unless stip comes here and says something stupid like he always does.

Rank the stupid things he's said.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thr
PostPosted: Sat August 16, 2014 5:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 30, 2013 4:30 pm
Posts: 4728
durdencommatyler wrote:
Heathen wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
And Heathen can come make fun of us.


I don't see why. Unless stip comes here and says something stupid like he always does.

Rank the stupid things he's said.


I don't have all day.

_________________
cutuphalfdead wrote:
so glad i don't see signatures


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thr
PostPosted: Sat August 16, 2014 5:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67509
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Heathen wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Heathen wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
And Heathen can come make fun of us.


I don't see why. Unless stip comes here and says something stupid like he always does.

Rank the stupid things he's said.


I don't have all day.

Just when you get some free time. No rush.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thr
PostPosted: Sat August 16, 2014 5:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 33460
Location: Buenos Aires
I'm not a big fan of Picaresque-- I think most of the songs are good (the only big exception is "The Sporting Life", which I can't stand), I just really dislike the production sound they went with. Everything sounds dull and flat.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thr
PostPosted: Sat August 16, 2014 6:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 30, 2013 4:30 pm
Posts: 4728
how they love... the sporting life

_________________
cutuphalfdead wrote:
so glad i don't see signatures


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thr
PostPosted: Sat August 16, 2014 6:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67509
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
theplatypus wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Picaresque-- I think most of the songs are good (the only big exception is "The Sporting Life", which I can't stand), I just really dislike the production sound they went with. Everything sounds dull and flat.

The Sporting Life is definitely not my favorite. Feels like an outtake from Her Majesty.

Not sure I agree about the production though. I think it sounds pretty rich, especially the quiet numbers like Eli, The Barrow Boy and From My Own True Love and Bus Mall. And I love the live feel/sound of Mariner's Revenge.

Having said that, I do think Crane Wife's production sound is better.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thr
PostPosted: Sun August 17, 2014 12:03 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 18614


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thr
PostPosted: Sun August 17, 2014 12:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Sat August 24, 2013 2:33 pm
Posts: 2497
Location: Baltic Sea, Germany


:luv:

i somehow always forget about the decemberists. i should listen to them more often.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thr
PostPosted: Sun August 17, 2014 3:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67509
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
spike wrote:

Another one of my all time favorites. But it never seems to get any love. They rarely play it live and none of the other big fans that I know seem to care for it. I love the thing.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thr
PostPosted: Sun August 17, 2014 9:30 pm 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 6202
The first two Decemberists records are some of my favorite music ever. For the first few years of their career they were a big deal band for my friends and me, one of those groups we would listen to obsessively and make it a point to see multiple times per year. I like the later stuff too but not as much.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thr
PostPosted: Sun August 17, 2014 9:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:05 pm
Posts: 1278
Location: Montreal, QC
A girl I used to be involved with ruined this band for me. I will never forgive her for that.

_________________
chud wrote:
Posting! Glorious posting!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thr
PostPosted: Sun August 17, 2014 9:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67509
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Bob Loblaw wrote:
A girl I used to be involved with ruined this band for me. I will never forgive her for that.

Jesus, that's fucking depressing as shit. I'll never forgive her for that!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thr
PostPosted: Sun August 17, 2014 9:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 67509
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Kevin Davis wrote:
The first two Decemberists records are some of my favorite music ever. For the first few years of their career they were a big deal band for my friends and me, one of those groups we would listen to obsessively and make it a point to see multiple times per year. I like the later stuff too but not as much.

KEVIN DAVIS!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thr
PostPosted: Sun August 17, 2014 9:44 pm 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 6202
theplatypus wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Picaresque-- I think most of the songs are good (the only big exception is "The Sporting Life", which I can't stand), I just really dislike the production sound they went with. Everything sounds dull and flat.


I agree with this. Chris Walla recorded the album in some abandoned church and I don't think he really mastered the dynamics of the room. It's a solid record, it just feels a little off.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: We All Raise Our Voices to the Air! - A Decemberists Thr
PostPosted: Sun August 17, 2014 9:45 pm 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 6202
durdencommatyler wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
The first two Decemberists records are some of my favorite music ever. For the first few years of their career they were a big deal band for my friends and me, one of those groups we would listen to obsessively and make it a point to see multiple times per year. I like the later stuff too but not as much.

KEVIN DAVIS!!


What's going on, man? New Mynabirds record yet?


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Simple Torture and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Fri December 14, 2018 9:53 pm