The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crucify the Insincere: A Smashing Pumpkins Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 12:10 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

i got bugs wrote:
Why us zeitgeist or zwan not on spotify?

Wonder the same.

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 12:45 am 
jeeeesus relax already

i got bugs wrote:
Why is zeitgeist or zwan not on spotify?

because they belong to Warner.
The same with Billy's Future Embrace. Im not sure whats the problem there, but all of that material is absent from Spotify.
The American Gothic EP is also absent.

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 12:47 am 
jeeeesus relax already

There is so many good stuff from this era...i would say 2007 is super weird but also super interesting. Billy and Jimmy were in top form, i always loved Jeff and Ginger, and the shows are a good mix between the hits and the new songs...and there were some classic outtakes in pure Pumpkin tradition, being played live....Gossamer, Superchrist, G.L.O.W....Also some solid songs like Zeitgeist too.

Its a shame Billy was so fucking mad in 2008 with everyone...because this album was good and it also debuted at 2.

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 3:10 am 
The Master

verb_to_trust wrote:
spike wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
I think I bought Zeitgeist at a KMart

you live in moline, that tracks.

Hey guys Spike has never shopped at a department store

kmart probably carries taco pizza

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 3:45 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Spike, one again I ask that you please limit your flirting with Verb to the N&D forum.

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 1:40 pm 
Rank This Poster

VinylGuy wrote:
i got bugs wrote:
Why is zeitgeist or zwan not on spotify?

because they belong to Warner.
The same with Billy's Future Embrace. Im not sure whats the problem there, but all of that material is absent from Spotify.
The American Gothic EP is also absent.

Yeah forgot about Billy's solo.. which was really good

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 1:47 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

American Gothic EP

So this is what I was more or less in the space for more than the loud and driving Zeitgeist. The songs here seem to harken more to a band that exercised a level of detail in their approach. Stripping it down does them a huge service here. All four songs are exactly what I needed to keep me going on this journey just when I was concerned the journey exhausted itself. Atmosphere, songs that move around a bit…this is far better than what I was expecting. Shame it’s not on Spotify.

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 2:10 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Teagarden By Kaleidyscope Vol. 1 - Songs for a Sailor

Once again, the Smashing Pumpkins I gave up on surprise me. The songs here are again very well orchestrated and have a lot of balance - I was frankly expecting something either too spaced out or too full on assault. A Song for a Son might be my favorite song of theirs since maybe Try on Machina II. Astral Planes is a solid rock song if not a little off balance but in a good way. Widow Make My Mind was quite catchy and enjoyable. A Stitch in Time solid. This little project is starting out nicely.

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 2:10 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Thats a great forgotten EP. It kinda feels like a reaction to the heavyness of Zeitgeist. I think everyone at that moment wanted or needed some more acoustic or pop songs and Billy moved forward with that...but at the same time 2008 was a really weird year too, with him being so fucking mad at his fan base and writing as many songs as he could.

There are great moments like Gossamer, Superchrist, GLOW and the acoustic songs he did for the SP residency in at The Orange Peel in Asheville and The Fillmore, but after that it kinda begins a super weird moment for the band.

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 2:16 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

liebzz wrote:

Once again, the Smashing Pumpkins I gave up on surprise me. The songs here are again very well orchestrated and have a lot of balance - I was frankly expecting something either too spaced out or too full on assault. A Song for a Son might be my favorite song of theirs since maybe Try on Machina II. Astral Planes is a solid rock song if not a little off balance but in a good way. Widow Make My Mind was quite catchy and enjoyable. A Stitch in Time solid. This little project is starting out nicely.

super glad you are tacking this one. Yeah this Vol has good songs...They sound horrible tough, and for me, its the begin of the sounding horrible, which is surprising because they always had great production.

I have a problem with their sound from this moment to Shiny Vol 1

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 2:28 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Teagarden By Kaleidyscope Vol. 2 - the Solstice Bare

Moving along to the next set of songs to comprise this project, the songs seem a bit heavier but offer much in the same qualities as vol. 1. The Fellowship is a solid rock song with electronic elements that add to the atmosphere. Freak is the winner here, just a completely solid rocker that stands with any of their older material. Tom Tom is also quite solid. The ball keeps moving in the right direction here for me. Even the quiet acoustic Cottonwood Symphony worked for me here.

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 2:30 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

VinylGuy wrote:
liebzz wrote:

super glad you are tacking this one. Yeah this Vol has good songs...They sound horrible tough, and for me, its the begin of the sounding horrible, which is surprising because they always had great production.

Having to tackle these on YouTube, sadly I wouldn’t be able tell if the production was good or sucked. So I am left with the songs which for me are stepping up.

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 2:31 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Freak! i loved that one when it came out...they played it live when i saw them in 2010 maybe?....and they opened with The Fellowship.

I think those recordings are all Billy and Darcy's ex husband who also produce them? dont remember...i remember a very weird show at a record store with Mike playing for the first time with the band...and the guy from The Electric Prunes playing bass maybe? First time they did A Song For A Son.

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 2:32 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

liebzz wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
liebzz wrote:

Having to tackle these on YouTube, sadly I wouldn’t be able tell if the production was good or sucked. So I am left with the songs which for me are stepping up.

Oh it sucks hard. But it will also suck hard on Oceania and Monuments.
I was surprised on how much i liked the songs when i revisited them a few years ago.

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 2:35 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Teagarden By Kaleidyscope Vol. 3 - Lightning Strikes/Owata

Thankfully the last item I need to pull from YouTube for a while. Lightning Strikes is a solid rock song from them, not anything over the top spectacular but a decent enough song. Owata has a bit more atmosphere though even here the drums sound more tinny than I would have expected. Shame because the song has some nice building to it and intermingles acoustic and louder guitars nicely and is quite catchy in its chorus.

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 2:49 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

By the way, I could be in the minority here, but I find myself really enjoying the Smashing Pumpkins when delivered in short bursts rather than lengthy albums. The intensity and the song craft to me comes out more fully when I chew on a few songs at a time rather than hours of continuing albums. Just something I am noticing as I listen my way through. It’s what made Adore so hard on me but these last volumes so easy. I am not so exhausted.

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 2:53 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Owata was cool yeah.

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 3:02 pm 
tl;dr

liebzz wrote:
By the way, I could be in the minority here, but I find myself really enjoying the Smashing Pumpkins when delivered in short bursts rather than lengthy albums. The intensity and the song craft to me comes out more fully when I chew on a few songs at a time rather than hours of continuing albums. Just something I am noticing as I listen my way through. It’s what made Adore so hard on me but these last volumes so easy. I am not so exhausted.

I'm probably the opposite! SP undoubtedly have a lot of tracks that sound great in isolation but more and more for me they've become a "sonic experience" band, where everything just sounds better the deeper and more immersive the listening becomes. They just made such a beautiful noise.

Of course I'm talking about V1.0 SP, and even then, mostly pre-Adore, where the baseline sonic signature becomes less distinct. I'm sure I'd prefer the present-day stuff, which I gave up on around the time of Teargarden, in small doses too :)

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 3:04 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Well, Billy was right at the time with releasing this songs as eps or maybe free singles...people wasnt paying attention to a double album like they used to with their music.
He was really surprised and frustrated with that fact and completely oversaw that Zeitgeist got lots of attention when it was released. It was super weird.

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 3:18 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Forgot completely about Cottonwood Symphony. Its a really nice one. Sounds like Billy circa 95/96

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 97  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands