The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: generic smashing pumpkins thread
PostPosted: Wed April 09, 2014 1:11 pm 
The worst

I was listening to adore on the way to work yesterday. There's some great stuff on that album.

I bet this is terrible.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed April 09, 2014 1:12 pm 
The worst

Not that I won't listen to it.

I think Billy still has some good ideas in him, but he needs to find a singer.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed April 09, 2014 1:24 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I listened to Mellon Collie, for the first time in like maybe 15 years, recently; I forgot how good that album is.

PostPosted: Tue April 22, 2014 12:51 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Anyone ever listen to James Iha's solo stuff?

I heard one of his songs this morning-- "Who Knows Where", I think it was called-- and found it surprisingly not-terrible.

PostPosted: Tue April 22, 2014 2:25 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

I owned his first solo album for a while. It was all very samey.

PostPosted: Tue April 22, 2014 2:35 am 
Commissioner

Kevin Davis wrote:
I love that Zwan record. I haven't listened to it in far too long.

I saw three of the five Zwan shows at the Metro the week before the album came out in 2003. They were some of the most splendidly amazing shows I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Tue April 22, 2014 3:50 am 
tl;dr

Yeah, I saw them play in Bloomington just a few months after the album was released--it was tremendous, less meaningful personally but far better musically than the Pumpkins show I saw on the ''Mellon Collie'' tour. They opened with a lengthy version of ''Mary Star of the Sea'' and then went straight into a cover of ''Don't Let Me Down.'' Queens of the Stone Age was the support act. Pretty good night.

PostPosted: Tue April 22, 2014 3:51 am 
tl;dr

stip wrote:
I think Billy still has some good ideas in him

His pro wrestling thing, you mean?

PostPosted: Tue April 22, 2014 4:03 am 

Kevin Davis wrote:
They opened with a lengthy version of ''Mary Star of the Sea'' and then went straight into a cover of ''Don't Let Me Down.'' Queens of the Stone Age was the support act. Pretty good night.

:o

PostPosted: Tue April 22, 2014 4:05 am 
Commissioner

I think between Zwan & Pearl Jam I've ended up seeing QOTSA like five or six times now.

PostPosted: Tue April 22, 2014 4:22 am 

You're a fan by default!

PostPosted: Tue April 22, 2014 4:28 am 
Commissioner

I'm trying to think of whether or not they hold the title of "Band I've seen the most without ever actually going to see." I can't think of any serious challengers.

PostPosted: Tue April 22, 2014 5:51 am 
AnalLog

zeb wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
They opened with a lengthy version of ''Mary Star of the Sea'' and then went straight into a cover of ''Don't Let Me Down.'' Queens of the Stone Age was the support act. Pretty good night.

:o

Hey, I was at that show too! I met Billy at Mother Murphy's before. Queens of the Stone Age completely slayed - and managed to really confuse most of the audience. It was fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:24 pm 
AnalLog

So the new SP drummer is Tommy Lee. Not quite sure what to think of that.

http://pitchfork.com/news/55101-motley-crues-tommy-lee-will-drum-on-the-smashing-pumpkins-next-album/

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:39 pm 
Future Drummer

no one can say corgan is predictable, so he's got that going for him.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:23 pm 
AnalLog

Several months on, I'm still really pleased with my Smashing Pumpkins bootleg mix. This version of "Starla" from the Mellon Collie tour is absolutely incredible. I'm going to throw in another plug for the January-February 1997 tour. If you Pumpkins fans out there get a chance, check out a show or two from this final leg of the Mellon Collie tour. They're completely burnt out on touring by this point so they just start jamming out songs to the extreme, digging up stuff they haven't played in 3-4 years and stretching out "Silverfuck" until it hits a sort of psychedelic breaking point.

Here's the tour: https://archive.org/search.php?query=co ... %221997%22

I particularly recommend the following shows:

* January 08, 1997 - Vancouver, BC: https://archive.org/details/tsp1997-01-08.flac16
* January 19, 1997 - Cincinnati, OH: https://archive.org/details/tsp1997-01-19.ANA2.flac16
* January 26, 1997 - Rochester, NY: https://archive.org/details/sp1997-01-26.flac16
* February 01, 1997 - Charlotte, NC: https://archive.org/details/tsp1997-02-01.flac16

As embarrassing as this band and Billy Corgan are now, it's easy to forget how amazing they were back in the day.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:56 pm 

Billy Corgan wrote:
The notion to reach out to T Lee came from The Shredder, who in hearing me say ’we really need to get someone like Tommy to play on this song’ said, “well, why don’t we reach out to him?” And let me tell you something: I’ve had the fortune of being in the room with some of the all-time greats, and when you’re that close to someone who is the best at what they do you gain insight into the way they are able to communicate to so many. Let’s call it a universal language (which music is, obviously), and in applying it with heart/soul they present intangibles that give dimension and depth to a composition which otherwise would not be as kaleidoscopic.

So on flying out a few weeks ago I presented T Lee with the idea, played him all the songs that I’d worked hard to finish, and discussed the way we’d be most comfortable finding common ground in the studio. Which explains the rush to prepare the arrangements for him to drum on, and also our keeping the work under wraps; so that nothing and nobody could influence the process.

I’m also happy to report that not only did we have a blast, but the 9 ’MONUMENTS’ songs sound epic in a way that is indescribable. I guess I could toss off hyperbole after pronoun, but it would sell short what I like to call ’Supersonic Pumpkins’; which is a descriptor in itself. Tommy hits the drums in a crushing manner, but as many fans know this is not without nuance or reaction; as he has a fantastic ear for music and plays with the songs in a means that only enhances excitement. The only other place I’ve heard this phenomena is with John Bonham of Led Zeppelin: where heavy drums can sound soft and expressive. Good company indeed!

As for the connection, I first met Tommy way back in 1991 when he came to one of our shows, and through the years we’ve run into each other many times at various places. So the coupling is not as odd as some might assume, as he, like I, has pushed into embracing new technologies, electronics, etc where it pertains to making new sounds. He is a wonderful, warm person to be around, and I wouldn’t have come to him with this proposition if I didn’t trust that this was something we’d both be proud of. So we expect to finish up the drums in a few weeks, seeing as we’re in a rush to get this stuff out and oh yeah, Tommy’s got this mega-Crue tour to do.

Let me also add on a personal and public level that I’m truly excited, for there’s an excitement in the music that is vital and necessary; especially when you consider what’s dying on the vine out there. I believe this is soul music we’re making, and I’m proud of who I’m stuck in the foxhole with. Attack, attack, attack…

W.P.C.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:51 am 
Rank This Poster

Yea reeders mix is pretty awesome..

I put it on my buddy's flash drive for him not too long ago bec there was a little space left after I put on what he wanted.. saw him out the other night n he was telling me how he loves it n listens all the time

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:11 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

http://m.noisey.vice.com/blog/a-brief-h ... noiseyfbus

A Brief History of Billy Corgan Losing His Goddamn Mind Since the Last Brief History of Billy Corgan Losing His Goddamn Mind

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:25 am 
The worst

Quote:
He says the record “has qualities that are both meditative and alien; but not alienating,” which probably means they will be technically listenable; but not preferably listenable.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 97  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands