The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: generic smashing pumpkins thread
PostPosted: Thu January 23, 2014 4:45 pm 
The worst

matt reeder wrote:
stip wrote:
what session is that untitled song from their GH on. that was the last pumpkins song I really liked.

They went into the studio right before they broke up and recorded this. I'd put it at somewhere between November 18 and November 28, 2000.

stip wrote:
I made your playlist. I threw try try try (II version) and atom bomb on the end because I really like the former and may like the later. I've heard Machina II once or twice but I'm not familiar with it. Machina I I haven't heard in years but that album got a lot of attention from me shortly after it came out because I loved the pumpkins and REALLY wanted to like this one.

Remember, Machina II is WAY, WAY, WAY better than Machina. The following songs are all top-notch Smashing Pumpkins songs:

Home
Let Me Give the World To You
Vanity
Innocence
Glass Theme
Cash Car Star
Here's to the Atom Bomb
Speed Kills
Dross

Really, the entire "album" disc of Machina II is just awesome. If they'd released that instead of Machina they would be remembered very differently. "Home", for example, is just so, so, so, so, so good.

They're good core songs, but the singing and esp the production does them no favors.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu January 23, 2014 6:22 pm 
Future Drummer

home is a pretty great song. definitely among the best of the later original band songs. i saw the 4-show philly run in 2007 and they did an acoustic version on the last night that was also pretty good from what i remember.

i quite like the m2 version of blue skies bring tears. definitely would take that over the album version, though i do like it, too.

the first third of glass + the ghost children is probably my personal favorite piece of music the pumpkins ever laid down. i love the song as a whole, and would name it as my favorite pumpkins track, but those first 3-4 minutes or so are just incredible to me.

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2014 4:57 am 
The worst

and to think, I created this thread to talk about how great a song Muzzle is.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2014 7:48 am 
AnalLog

And to get this thread back on track, I'm now going to post some awesome Smashing Pumpkins videos.

The best thing about that video? Billy's and James' GODLIKE guitar tone. I cannot get over how great it is. The other remarkable thing is just how passionate and into the performance Billy is. See him on stage now and it's easy to wonder what happened to him.

This one speaks for itself. Hopefully they release the full DVD when the Machina reissue comes out.

I love that their hometown crowd is heckling them at their own album release party. The weird juxtaposition here is how they come off very petulant and irritated, and then launch into one of their absolute best songs with no introduction whatsoever. This band is full of so many contradictions, and that's a major reason why they fascinate me so much.

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2014 3:29 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

matt reeder wrote:
And to get this thread back on track, I'm now going to post some awesome Smashing Pumpkins videos.

The best thing about that video? Billy's and James' GODLIKE guitar tone. I cannot get over how great it is. The other remarkable thing is just how passionate and into the performance Billy is. See him on stage now and it's easy to wonder what happened to him.

This one speaks for itself. Hopefully they release the full DVD when the Machina reissue comes out.

I love that their hometown crowd is heckling them at their own album release party. The weird juxtaposition here is how they come off very petulant and irritated, and then launch into one of their absolute best songs with no introduction whatsoever. This band is full of so many contradictions, and that's a major reason why they fascinate me so much.

Great post...that Metro show is fucking amazing. And yes, Billy´s reaction torwards the audience are always weird.

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2014 4:06 pm 
AnalLog

This is pretty sweet:

All that circulates from this show out there is a bad audience tape. Hopefully there's a full source of this video somewhere. It's like being in the front row, seeing them play "Mayonaise".

This is also pretty sweet, from the show the next night:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bwi6Ha0 ... edit?pli=1

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2014 4:10 pm 
The worst

i just put your nmga compilation on my ipod . i look forward to making my way through it

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2014 4:19 pm 
AnalLog

Oh, and there's this too:

PostPosted: Sat January 25, 2014 9:02 am 
Future Drummer

matt reeder wrote:
This is pretty sweet:

All that circulates from this show out there is a bad audience tape. Hopefully there's a full source of this video somewhere. It's like being in the front row, seeing them play "Mayonaise".

I don't want to break your heart, but I had access to all kinds of cool uncirculated Pumpkins videos from the Siamese Tour, including this one, shot by a friend of mine in front of the stage. But because I don't like the Pumpkins, I never pursued it. Right around the time I began to become interested in maybe getting some of these videos, my friend passed away accidentally. All I have now is a VHS sampler tape with various clips from the shows. Kind of a bummer.

PostPosted: Sat January 25, 2014 7:49 pm 
Future Drummer

matt reeder wrote:

I always find it so powerful when a band believes in their art so much that they'll accept the heckling, knowing/hoping that the fans will eventually catch up to what's being created.

PostPosted: Sat January 25, 2014 10:07 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Can we get more live show recommendations?

PostPosted: Sat January 25, 2014 10:10 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I'm sure we can. But do we really want to?

PostPosted: Sat January 25, 2014 10:32 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

surfndestroy wrote:
matt reeder wrote:

I always find it so powerful when a band believes in their art so much that they'll accept the heckling, knowing/hoping that the fans will eventually catch up to what's being created.

I have to say, Billy´s been right with a lot of things, specially with Adore. Fuck, we hated that album when it came out. It was really weird...but nowadays, its just plain awesome.

PostPosted: Sun January 26, 2014 3:57 am 
AnalLog

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
This is pretty sweet:

I don't want to break your heart, but I had access to all kinds of cool uncirculated Pumpkins videos from the Siamese Tour, including this one, shot by a friend of mine in front of the stage. But because I don't like the Pumpkins, I never pursued it. Right around the time I began to become interested in maybe getting some of these videos, my friend passed away accidentally. All I have now is a VHS sampler tape with various clips from the shows. Kind of a bummer.

That's okay man. I'm not as interested in video as audio, and I'm mostly waiting for Billy to open the archives since he has all this stuff too. I've got plenty to tide me over.

ritchiem4812 wrote:
Can we get more live show recommendations?

Here's a good one:
--------------------
https://archive.org/details/tsp1993-08-13.flac16_48

Band/Artist: Smashing Pumpkins
Date: August 13, 1993 (check for other copies)
Venue: Metro

Source: ECM-S220 > TCD-D3 (48k)
Lineage: DAT-M > FLAC
Taped by: JB
Transferred by: JB

01. intro
02. Soma
03. Geek U.S.A.
04. Rhinoceros
05. Quiet
06. Window Paine
07. Today
08. Disarm
09. Siva
10. Mayonaise
11. Rocket
12. Hummer
13. Cherub Rock
14. Starla
15. I Am One

16. Drown
17. Silverfuck > Over the Rainbow > Jackboot (tease)
Notes

Note:
This is a 16bit / 48KHZ recording. It cannot be burned to a cd, unless you convert it to 44.1KHZ.
The FLAC files were created using CD Wave 1.98, and they were tested using Media Monkey 3.1.1.1261.
*Part of SilverF*ck is missing. I had to change batteries.

PostPosted: Sun January 26, 2014 7:19 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

matt reeder wrote:
Oh, and there's this too:

This is the first of the live stuff posted on here that I've clicked on. I can't believe how good that was!
On a side note - picked up Siamese Dream on Vinyl the other day - had forgotten how great an album this was

PostPosted: Wed January 29, 2014 11:10 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I guess this is the right thread to post this in.

A friend of mine has written and published a book of poems about Billy Corgan.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Will-Al ... 6951600658

She's pretty funny.

PostPosted: Thu January 30, 2014 12:49 am 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

I really love the song Drown. Can anyone recommend other SP songs similar in vibe to this tune?

PostPosted: Thu January 30, 2014 1:13 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Fuzzcharger wrote:
I really love the song Drown. Can anyone recommend other SP songs similar in vibe to this tune?

Maybe Soma or Mayonaise?

PostPosted: Thu January 30, 2014 1:15 am 
The worst

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9c8xe ... aise_music

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu January 30, 2014 1:15 am 
The worst

Mayonnaise is probably closest. It's a pretty great song.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 97  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands