Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: War on Drugs

Sun August 23, 2020 2:12 am

durdencommatyler wrote:Listened to Lost in the Dream tonight. The two songs that sound like Tom Petty were my favorites.

I will listen to Strat and Mickey's mixes soon.


This album took a few listens to reveal itself to me, though since it was my first exposure to the band I think it was probably less the album itself and more just me needing to acquaint myself with how their songwriting works. Musically their songs kind of unfold one line at a time, so in the beginning the structures felt kind of indistinct, and the echo-heavy production that ultimately turned out to be one of the emotional touchstones of their music initially had an obscuring effect that just made it challenging to pick out the shapes of the melodies. But once I got a grip on all that stuff, the curve from "this is pleasant" to "holy shit, this is a masterwork and the only thing I want to hear" was staggering. It's one of my favorite albums of the 2010's.

A Deeper Understanding is an excellent follow-up, and "Thinking of a Place" might be their best song. There is a cleanness to this album that ever so slightly comes at the expense of some of the sense of mystery that made Lost in the Dream such a singularly special album, but that's an extremely petty gripe. If Lost in the Dream is an A+ (and I think it is), this is an A.

I've never managed to get super into Slave Ambient apart from "Best Night" -- it's enjoyable, but it feels like a prototype for what came after and ultimately makes me want to listen to those albums instead.

Re: War on Drugs

Sun August 23, 2020 2:19 am

Kevin Davis wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:Listened to Lost in the Dream tonight. The two songs that sound like Tom Petty were my favorites.

I will listen to Strat and Mickey's mixes soon.


This album took a few listens to reveal itself to me, though since it was my first exposure to the band I think it was probably less the album itself and more just me needing to acquaint myself with how their songwriting works. Musically their songs kind of unfold one line at a time, so in the beginning the structures felt kind of indistinct, and the echo-heavy production that ultimately turned out to be one of the emotional touchstones of their music initially had an obscuring effect that just made it challenging to pick out the shapes of the melodies. But once I got a grip on all that stuff, the curve from "this is pleasant" to "holy shit, this is a masterwork and the only thing I want to hear" was staggering. It's one of my favorite albums of the 2010's.

A Deeper Understanding is an excellent follow-up, and "Thinking of a Place" might be their best song. There is a cleanness to this album that ever so slightly comes at the expense of some of the sense of mystery that made Lost in the Dream such a singularly special album, but that's an extremely petty gripe. If Lost in the Dream is an A+ (and I think it is), this is an A.

I've never managed to get super into Slave Ambient apart from "Best Night" -- it's enjoyable, but it feels like a prototype for what came after and ultimately makes me want to listen to those albums instead.


Agreed with all of this, especially the bold part.

Re: War on Drugs

Wed October 07, 2020 8:58 pm

Live album coming in November: https://pitchfork.com/news/the-war-on-d ... ive-drugs/

01 An Ocean Between the Waves (Live)
02 Pain (Live)
03 Strangest Thing (Live)
04 Red Eyes (Live)
05 Thinking of a Place (Live)
06 Buenos Aires Beach (Live)
07 Accidentally Like a Martyr (Live)
08 Eyes to the Wind (Live)
09 Under the Pressure (Live)
10 In Reverse (Live)

Re: War on Drugs

Sat November 21, 2020 12:58 am

Well, "Live Drugs" sounds amazing!

Re: War on Drugs

Sat November 21, 2020 2:20 am

i love this band so much.

their next LP is right around the corner too

Re: War on Drugs

Sat November 21, 2020 2:27 am

are they straight edge

Re: War on Drugs

Sat November 21, 2020 2:32 am

Chris_H_2 wrote:i love this band so much.

their next LP is right around the corner too

Yea man. I can't wait to see what their next step might sound like.

Re: War on Drugs

Sat November 21, 2020 2:43 am

My wife is gonna hate all this so much

Re: War on Drugs

Sat November 21, 2020 2:44 am

Rangi Guy wrote:My wife is gonna hate all this so much

Go on...

Re: War on Drugs

Sat November 21, 2020 2:46 am

Strat wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:My wife is gonna hate all this so much

Go on...

Like R.E.M. and Radiohead she says that these guys are too white. They've been relegated to the 'listen when I'm alone' category

Re: War on Drugs

Sat November 21, 2020 3:02 am

Rangi Guy wrote:
Strat wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:My wife is gonna hate all this so much

Go on...

Like R.E.M. and Radiohead she says that these guys are too white. They've been relegated to the 'listen when I'm alone' category

hahahaha.

That's a good wife though....

Re: War on Drugs

Sat November 21, 2020 7:10 pm

This take on "Accidentally Like a Martyr" is really nice.

Re: War on Drugs

Sun November 22, 2020 2:42 pm

Strat wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
Strat wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:My wife is gonna hate all this so much

Go on...

Like R.E.M. and Radiohead she says that these guys are too white. They've been relegated to the 'listen when I'm alone' category

hahahaha.

That's a good wife though....

I've mentioned this before, but EVERY TIME I play these guys my wife rolls her eyes and says "not Bryan Adams again!". :roll:

Re: War on Drugs

Mon November 23, 2020 4:28 pm

Higgs wrote:
Strat wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
Strat wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:My wife is gonna hate all this so much

Go on...

Like R.E.M. and Radiohead she says that these guys are too white. They've been relegated to the 'listen when I'm alone' category

hahahaha.

That's a good wife though....

I've mentioned this before, but EVERY TIME I play these guys my wife rolls her eyes and says "not Bryan Adams again!". :roll:

how much bryan adams do you listen to higgs?

Re: War on Drugs

Mon November 23, 2020 6:59 pm

Live Drugs is a nice listen. They have a podcast about the album here
Spoiler: show
https://open.spotify.com/show/63d6ahacnN1Mzu70AEgYJI?si=dbeAxICZQ4-8E87pFq5kXQ
.

Re: War on Drugs

Tue November 24, 2020 4:02 am

surfndestroy wrote:Live Drugs is a nice listen. They have a podcast about the album here
Spoiler: show
https://open.spotify.com/show/63d6ahacnN1Mzu70AEgYJI?si=dbeAxICZQ4-8E87pFq5kXQ
.


Could've been the fumes, but Live Drugs really hit the spot while I was painting the basement today. Nice mix of songs.

Re: War on Drugs

Tue November 24, 2020 9:58 am

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Higgs wrote:
Strat wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
Strat wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:My wife is gonna hate all this so much

Go on...

Like R.E.M. and Radiohead she says that these guys are too white. They've been relegated to the 'listen when I'm alone' category

hahahaha.

That's a good wife though....

I've mentioned this before, but EVERY TIME I play these guys my wife rolls her eyes and says "not Bryan Adams again!". :roll:

how much bryan adams do you listen to higgs?

Less than very little.
Post a reply