Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: War on Drugs

Fri January 03, 2020 10:39 pm

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Droppin Ordnance wrote:
Captain Termite wrote:They are playing 2 Philly shows this month, after none the rest of the year. I would guess more shows to come in 2020 and probably new music too.

Is there any new music coming in 2020?

I kinda like this band

Of you would’ve posted this question three days ago I would’ve unequivocally said yes. But they played zero new songs at the two philly shows that they just played. They did play a ton from slave ambient though.

If you were there, lucky for you. I saw them in Berkeley a year or two back and they totally ignored Slave Ambient iirc. I love that album and LITD is a masterpiece... the latest one doesn’t really hit me though, other than Pain. What am I missing?

Are TWOD the band of the decade? I think they are.

Fri January 03, 2020 10:42 pm

Matters wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Droppin Ordnance wrote:
Captain Termite wrote:They are playing 2 Philly shows this month, after none the rest of the year. I would guess more shows to come in 2020 and probably new music too.

I kinda like this band

Of you would’ve posted this question three days ago I would’ve unequivocally said yes. But they played zero new songs at the two philly shows that they just played. They did play a ton from slave ambient though.

If you were there, lucky for you. I saw them in Berkeley a year or two back and they totally ignored Slave Ambient iirc. I love that album and LITD is a masterpiece... the latest one doesn’t really hit me though, other than Pain. What am I missing?

For me? yea probably.

I think the latest one is a hell of a follow up to LITD. I think "thinking of a place" into "In Chains" is one of the best 1-2 combos there is.

Fri January 03, 2020 11:26 pm

Strat wrote:
Matters wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Droppin Ordnance wrote:

I kinda like this band

For me? yea probably.

I think the latest one is a hell of a follow up to LITD. I think "thinking of a place" into "In Chains" is one of the best 1-2 combos there is.

a deeper understanding is more complete and balanced album than lost in a dream. i prefer it, but it's like picking your favorite kid.

and strat is right -- that thinking of place into in chains is perfect.

Mon April 27, 2020 5:28 pm

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Strat wrote:I think the latest one is a hell of a follow up to LITD. I think "thinking of a place" into "In Chains" is one of the best 1-2 combos there is.

a deeper understanding is more complete and balanced album than lost in a dream. i prefer it, but it's like picking your favorite kid.

and strat is right -- that thinking of place into in chains is perfect.

A Deeper Understanding is a great pandemic listen.

Wed August 05, 2020 3:10 am

Strat wrote:
Zantac Junkie wrote:Goddamn, what a show. They closed with a cover of Like a Hurricane that blew the roof off the place. Unreal.

what a great fucking cover for them! Perfect.

Ruddo, there's calm in her I

Fri August 14, 2020 5:30 pm

[YouTube]www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=CrQ67oJb4X8&feature=emb_logo[/YouTube]

WoD with Rolling Stones remix.

Fri August 14, 2020 5:57 pm

Strat wrote:
Matters wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Droppin Ordnance wrote:

I kinda like this band

For me? yea probably.

Yup.

Fri August 14, 2020 5:58 pm

Also, "War on Drugs suck my cock" hits a little differently now...

Fri August 14, 2020 5:58 pm

Strat, do you like these guys more than wilco

Fri August 14, 2020 6:50 pm

Mickey wrote:Also, "War on Drugs suck my cock" hits a little differently now...

He still hasn't responded to Pitchfork's request for a comment but he turned that song around in like a week.

Fri August 14, 2020 7:58 pm

Simple Torture wrote:
Mickey wrote:Also, "War on Drugs suck my cock" hits a little differently now...

He still hasn't responded to Pitchfork's request for a comment but he turned that song around in like a week.

Sexual Assault Victim Suck My Cock

Thu August 20, 2020 3:30 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:Strat, do you like these guys more than wilco

No. I dont know. Maybe. Wilco has been around long enough to wear out. WoD's have not yet. We'll see with their next couple albums!

Thu August 20, 2020 10:06 pm

Strat wrote:

No. I dont know. Maybe. Wilco has been around long enough to wear out. WoD's have not yet. We'll see with their next couple albums!

strat, let's make an amalgamation of the best of both bands. 20 songs (10 songs each). the ultimate two-band mix. what do you think?

Thu August 20, 2020 10:39 pm

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Strat wrote:

strat, let's make an amalgamation of the best of both bands. 20 songs (10 songs each). the ultimate two-band mix. what do you think?

Does this mean i have to rank stuff?

Thu August 20, 2020 10:42 pm

Can I get in on this? I'm not very familiar with either band. So you guys could make these mixes for me and I'll decide who wins?

Thu August 20, 2020 11:50 pm

Strat wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Strat wrote:

Does this mean i have to rank stuff?

You know, forget the “best.” How about what fits the best instead.

Thu August 20, 2020 11:51 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:Can I get in on this? I'm not very familiar with either band. So you guys could make these mixes for me and I'll decide who wins?

Deal

Fri August 21, 2020 1:23 am

War on Drugs aren't really a "make a mix" band yet -- they only have a few albums, and their trajectory thus far has basically just been a refining of one aesthetic. I imagine most mixes will have a lot of overlap.

Just listen to Lost in the Dream and A Deeper Understanding.

Fri August 21, 2020 1:26 am

Whatever. Shut up, KD.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3TjWl ... rpNmiL1Jxw

There is your playlist. Perfectly curated.

Fri August 21, 2020 2:22 am

i don't think random playlists are the best way to compare two bands you're barely familiar with
Post a reply