The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post subject: Re: War on Drugs
PostPosted: Mon February 28, 2022 2:26 pm 
The Master

Got Slave Ambient playing in the background. I don’t think I’ve ever heard the whole thing, but I definitely need a disciplined listen.

PostPosted: Tue June 07, 2022 5:56 pm 
Broken Tamborine

https://www.news-herald.com/2022/06/01/ ... -pavilion/

Quote:
It was a full-circle moment recently for The War on Drugs’ Adam Granduciel, who last month caught a Pearl Jam show in Los Angeles.

“I was supposed to go see them in 1994 in Boston where I grew up,” said Granduciel, calling from Burbank. “My friend like had tickets and then he didn’t have tickets so I never saw them. The other day was my first time. It was so much fun.”

On the surface, one wouldn’t necessarily see a musical connection between the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame grunge act and the modern indie band that seamlessly melds indie rock and psychedelia with a small hint of jam band sensibility.

However, taking a step back you can see a comparison more in the spirit of the music and respect of their respective audiences.

“You probably don’t hear it but (Pearl Jam) taught me how to play guitar,” Granduciel said. “When they’d play on ‘Saturday Night Live’ or (David) Letterman, I’d record them on VHS and watch it over and over studying where their hands were and what amps they were playing.

“The only thing they really influenced was we did Jimmy Fallon during lockdown. We decided to do a song nobody’s ever heard before. That was inspired by when (Pearl Jam) was promoting ‘Vs.’ on ‘Saturday Night Live’ and the first song they played was ‘Not for You’ (from the then-unreleased album “Vitalogy”), which no one had heard. I was like, ‘That’s the balls-iest thing I’ve ever seen. Then they did ‘Rearviewmirror’ and ‘Daughter.’ It was life-changing.”

PostPosted: Wed June 08, 2022 2:32 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I spent part of the commute today listening again to Arcade Fire’s WE and really enjoying it. Spotify decided the best follow up would be Harmonia’s Dream and damned if they weren’t 100% right.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2023 7:56 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

The more I listen to it the more I know, Disappearing is my favorite music track ever.

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2024 12:52 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

WoD podcast returns with a story about how Lost in the Dream was made. i'm a sucker for stuff like this.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7cKqD4 ... e9XG9F7TlA

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2024 1:04 pm 
tl;dr

Lost In the Dream is a top 10 2010’s album for me, but it’s one of those “soundtrack to a miserable life moment” records that makes it tough to revisit. Sufjan’s Carrie and Lowell is the same way — same general time period, same feeling. Still, what a collection of songs (both of ‘em).

PostPosted: Fri March 29, 2024 5:15 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I have a few of those. Would make a good thread topic.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun March 31, 2024 12:24 am 
Broken Tamborine

I like lost in a dream a lot. For me deeper understanding really hits the sweet spot.

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2024 1:27 pm 
Broken Tamborine

"Thinking of a Place" is just a beautiful song to play during a warm summer night where the sun is setting and everything is just gold.
That song is just a warm blanket, so beautiful and it really does evoke a certain place in my mind.

Just love this song and this band.

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2024 1:31 pm 
The Master

Clem Halibut wrote:
"Thinking of a Place" is just a beautiful song to play during a warm summer night where the sun is setting and everything is just gold.
That song is just a warm blanket, so beautiful and it really does evoke a certain place in my mind.

Just love this song and this band.

Also beautiful for falling asleep to!

That bridge is just gorgeous, the way the instruments come in and out of eachother

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2024 2:31 pm 
tl;dr

"Thinking of a Place" is probably my favorite WOD song. So great.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands