The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: War on Drugs
PostPosted: Thu October 09, 2014 2:59 am 
Future Drummer

so lost in the dream was the monthly selection for vinyl me, please subscribers a couple months back. as i said above, i never wanted to hear under the pressure ever again, so suffice it to say i wasn't excited about receiving the record. but i did get it and tried to give it a few fair listens.

i don't get it. the album really doesn't do much at all for me. the songs definitely feature a confluence of styles that form a unique whole, but i feel no excitement or impulse from it. this is one album that, the more people gush about it (which is happening more and more), the more i am confused as to how i just don't feel the same way. like, what am i missing? i wish i knew.

PostPosted: Thu October 09, 2014 3:42 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Are you Mark Kozelek?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu October 09, 2014 3:50 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

i'm jus kiddin'

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu October 09, 2014 4:10 am 
Rank This Poster

still album of the year for me

PostPosted: Thu October 09, 2014 10:57 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I love this album. I also love Benji and just saw SKM. Does that make me a bad person?

Wish TWOD would come to Portland, ME.

PostPosted: Fri October 10, 2014 7:30 pm 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:
Are you Mark Kozelek?

have to say, war on drugs can suck my cock ... war on drugs ... suck my cock ... war on drugs ... suck my cock

PostPosted: Fri October 10, 2014 11:38 pm 
tl;dr

In response to AndySlash's question earlier: This album wasn't an instant winner for me either. Sometimes the songwriting feels kind of vague and sketchy, like you can't tell where the composition ends and the interpretation begins (some of Will Oldham's songs are like that -- the melodies are so austere that it seems hard to believe that someone deliberately composed them). And the thing about this record is that those subtle melodies and turns of phrase are obscured by walls of atmosphere, so at first it comes on sounding like this big noisy mess of nondescript nothing. However, once those tunes start to emerge, that atmosphere adds an immense weight to them. All I can really advise is to keep listening -- it repays not only repeat listens but also listens in a variety of settings; I too found the cursory listens on my headphones rather unremarkable, but once I took it out into the world and listened to it in the city, on the highway, etc., a lot of the hidden pleasures of the album started to reveal themselves. There is a nostalgic sweetness at the heart of it, and there's a masterful sense of conjunction between the songwriting and the singer's sense of phrasing. I'm having a hard time pulling as much of that good stuff out of "Slave Ambient" -- hopefully it's in there somewhere...

PostPosted: Sun October 12, 2014 8:41 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I have had this for a few weeks. I am begining to appreciate it more. Thus far it reminds me a little of 80's Don Henly and Bryan Adams. But I trust Kevin Davis, in that there is more than meets the eye. Although I prefer Mingus to his contemporaries (I'm certainly no jazz expert)

PostPosted: Sun October 12, 2014 9:15 pm 

There is no doubt that on the surface their music sounds like the worst of early 80s adult contemporary garbage (and some not so terrible bands), but the end result is something far superior. Its kinda amazing. I can't stop listening.

I feel like Dire Straights (who WoD steals wholeheartedly from) never lived up to their potential. They had a cool sound, but never seemed too concerned with exploring it in depth. They kinda had that "too cool to care" mentality that I've grown to hate (ie Jim James). WoD seems to take it further. This sort of "derivative" art is fine by me.

Its hard to choose between this one and Slave Ambient, though. I like both.

PostPosted: Sun October 12, 2014 9:18 pm 

oh also, their band name sucks.

PostPosted: Sun October 12, 2014 9:21 pm 
Rank This Poster

Maybe you just like 80s adult contemporary garbage, Burt.

PostPosted: Sun October 12, 2014 9:22 pm 

Heathen wrote:
Maybe you just like 80s adult contemporary garbage, Burt.

I like it more than I care to admit.

PostPosted: Tue December 02, 2014 11:14 pm 
Gone

I'm pretty sure I heard the single by these guys on a rerun of Top Gun this past weekend. Had no idea this band dated back to the 80's.....

PostPosted: Wed December 03, 2014 4:20 pm 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:
There is no doubt that on the surface their music sounds like the worst of early 80s adult contemporary garbage (and some not so terrible bands), but the end result is something far superior. Its kinda amazing. I can't stop listening.

I feel like Dire Straights (who WoD steals wholeheartedly from) never lived up to their potential. They had a cool sound, but never seemed too concerned with exploring it in depth. They kinda had that "too cool to care" mentality that I've grown to hate (ie Jim James). WoD seems to take it further. This sort of "derivative" art is fine by me.

Its hard to choose between this one and Slave Ambient, though. I like both.

There are some pretty incredible tracks on Slave AMbient but the overall product that is Lost in a Dream is superior. It's the total package from start to finish. This is hands down my favorite record of the year.

PostPosted: Wed December 03, 2014 11:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Mon June 01, 2015 1:12 am 
The Master

Fuck. This record just continues to blow my mind a year later.

PostPosted: Fri June 05, 2015 3:15 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I'm really excited -- just scored tickets to a Lollapalooza after show at the Metro to see these guys on July 30th. Can't wait.

PostPosted: Fri June 05, 2015 5:44 pm 
AnalLog

Chris_H_2 wrote:
I'm really excited -- just scored tickets to a Lollapalooza after show at the Metro to see these guys on July 30th. Can't wait.

Damn man, I didn't think this was gona sell out so fast. I'm jealous!

PostPosted: Fri June 05, 2015 6:19 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

HardTI wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

Damn man, I didn't think this was gona sell out so fast. I'm jealous!

if you had posted about and an hour and a half earlier, i still had 2 more tickets in my cart (i ended up letting them go, like the idiot that i am)

PostPosted: Fri June 05, 2015 6:27 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Chris_H_2 wrote:

You mean pre-show? and i scored tickets as well. :nice:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands