The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Counting Crows playing new songs live
PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 12:02 pm 
Future Drummer

dsb1218 wrote:
Tonight's set list in Houston

Round Here (with Palisades Park alternate lyrics)
Untitled (Love Song)
Four Days
Come Around
Hospital
Colorblind
Four White Stallions
Omaha
Scarecrow
Sessions
God of Ocean Tides
Mercury
Richard Manuel
Cover Up the Sun
Long December
Return of the Grievous Angel
Hanging Around
--- encore ---
Palisades Park
Rain King (with Oh Susannah alternate lyrics)
Holiday in Spain

All in all a solid show with at least two songs from every record, including the new one out this Fall.

I haven't seen them since 1996 (yes, I'm that old, fuck you).. is Long December basically their Even Flow?

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 12:15 pm 
Rank This Poster

broken iris wrote:
dsb1218 wrote:
Tonight's set list in Houston

Round Here (with Palisades Park alternate lyrics)
Untitled (Love Song)
Four Days
Come Around
Hospital
Colorblind
Four White Stallions
Omaha
Scarecrow
Sessions
God of Ocean Tides
Mercury
Richard Manuel
Cover Up the Sun
Long December
Return of the Grievous Angel
Hanging Around
--- encore ---
Palisades Park
Rain King (with Oh Susannah alternate lyrics)
Holiday in Spain

All in all a solid show with at least two songs from every record, including the new one out this Fall.

I haven't seen them since 1996 (yes, I'm that old, fuck you).. is Long December basically their Even Flow?

I'd say that is a good comparison. That or Rain King.

I'm old too. :|

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 12:19 pm 
AnalLog

They don't have an Even Flow. They genuinely mix up their set lists every night. The hits get rotated in and out with the rest of the catalog. (I've noticed that certain tours seem to feature certain songs more heavily than others.) I do wish they would give a little more shine to Saturday Nights/Sunday Mornings. It's not their best record, but there's some good material on there. And, really, this is a band that's only released five albums of original material in 21 years, so why not play everything?

The best versions of LD are those that begin with "Live Forever" by Oasis.

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 3:07 pm 
Rank This Poster

PryTo wrote:
They don't have an Even Flow. They genuinely mix up their set lists every night. The hits get rotated in and out with the rest of the catalog. (I've noticed that certain tours seem to feature certain songs more heavily than others.) I do wish they would give a little more shine to Saturday Nights/Sunday Mornings. It's not their best record, but there's some good material on there. And, really, this is a band that's only released five albums of original material in 21 years, so why not play everything?

The best versions of LD are those that begin with "Live Forever" by Oasis.

Long December (according to setlist.fm) has been played 699 (the most) out of any song and it was on their second album. Thats an insane amount of times. Without doing the math I'd say 90% of the time maybe? I'm not sure of the stats on Even Flow but I'm sure it's similar. That'd be a fun project when I'm bored.

Agreed on Saturday Nights/Sunday Mornings. Adore Sundays, Cowboys (incredible rock song), Wash Square, Michelangelo, Le Ballet D'Or, Come Around, etc. I love the vibe they have with Gil Norton who produced it. He produced Recovering the Satellites and some Pixies and Echo & the Bunnymen albums. I'd love to see RTS get the August treatment and have them play that album front to back at least once. That will probably be my favorite album until the day I die. Back to SNSM.... I honestly think Sessions is one of the best songs they have ever recorded and it didn't even make the album. I'm glad I saw them right after SNSM came out in Lawrence, Kansas at a place that holds like 1000 people. Video below. Show was great and I'm the moron in the yellow shirt in the front row. The sound went out during Rain King and we all just shouted the lyrics. Fun times.

I do kinda wish they mixed up setlists more. I'm digging the setlists on this tour though. Songs like Sullivan Street, Time and Time Again & Four Days are getting played a lot which is fun. I kinda wish they'd dust off Raining in Baltimore (my favorite song of theirs), Wiseblood, Carriage, She Don't Want Nobody Near, etc. I heard Another Horsedreamer's Blues two years ago when I saw them (I did the meet and greet at that show....so fun) and it was the highlight of the show. Agreed, with their catalog they do a decent job mixing it up for the most part. It's not like a band like ACDC. Seen them once, you have seen them 50 times.

Adam hates making albums. He's said that in interviews. He'd rather be on the road. I kinda wish they had more albums but at the same time you get the chance to see them every year. Double edged sword there. Do you want lots of albums and not as many tours or vice versa? I'm hoping after this album drops they make at least 1-2 more in their career.

Yes that version of December is awesome. Always wanted to see an Oasis/Crows tour. They were big fans of each other.

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 6:23 pm 
AnalLog

I didn't realize it was that high, but even if you go by Setlist numbers, it's played around 80% of the time (still way higher than I assumed). I'd venture that Even Flow is closer to something like 98% -- I'm sure someone on here has the specifics on that. You go see Pearl Jam, it's a rare night when they don't play EF. It's interesting that once you get past the first six or so CC songs, the play rate falls to less than 50 percent.

I'd recognize Liberty Hall anywhere. Saw many, many shows there when I lived in Lawrence. Fantastic venue. One of the greats!

My all-time favorite Crows shows were in August 2001. Me and a buddy drove (from Lawrence) to New Orleans, where they played back-to-back nights at the House of Blues (capacity is < 850). These were warmup dates for the Hard Candy recording sessions and in those days, bootlegs weren't online the next morning like they are today. Hard Candy was nearly a year from being released and I hadn't heard any of the songs. So they were using these dates to try out new material, most of which I don't think had even been recorded at that point. The setlists were phenomenal:

Night 1 -- 7/17 songs were new/unreleased
Miami
I Wish I Was a Girl
Richard Manuel
Omaha
Angels of the Silences (acoustic)
American Girls
Goodnight L.A.
Recovering the Satellites
Black and Blue
Mr. Jones
Up All Night
Rain King/Thunder Road
Good Time
Round Here
Have You Seen Me Lately?
Goodnight Elizabeth
Hanginaround

It was a good show, but night two is probably the best show I've ever seen them play. Something about second nights almost always makes them the better of two shows, for any band. The setlists had a lot of the same songs, but that was actually a good thing because I'd only heard many of them for the first time the night before and that gave them a chance to sink in a bit more.

Night 2 -- 8/18 songs were new/unreleased
Miami
Anna Begins
Richard Manuel
High Life
Carriage
1492(!!!)
Goodnight L.A.
Omaha
Black and Blue
American Girls
Catapult (acoustic)
Up All Night
Rain King
A Long December
Sullivan Street
A Murder of One
Hanginaround

Going to see 'em in San Francisco next Friday. A hometown show -- can't wait!

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 7:27 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I also went to the 8/2 show in Durant, OK and preferred it to the Houston show a few nights earlier. These were my 15th and 16th shows since my first one in 2002, and what the Durant show gave up in balance across all their studio releases it made up for in rocking versions of some of the classics from August and Recovering the Satellites. In my experience it's pretty rare to get a show with Sullivan, Murder, Round Here AND Rain King - each of which now lands between 7 to 10+ minutes (not to mention the new track Palisades Park, which is 8+ minutes and has locked down the first song of the encore throughout the summer tour).

They sound-checked Mercury and Start Again (Teenage Fanclub cover) but neither made the setlist that night. With Mercury, it sounded like they were still working out the interplay of Immy's slide guitar intro into Bryson's riff that opens the studio version found on Recovering.

8/2 Durant OK Setlist:
Sullivan St
Untitled (Love Song) (the Romany Rye cover)
Come Around
Hospital (Coby Brown cover)
Colorblind
Mercy (Tender Mercies cover)
Omaha
Cover Up the Sun
Round Here
God of Ocean Tides
A Long December
You Ain't Goin' Nowhere (technically a Dylan cover, but I consider it more of a nod to The Byrds' version)
A Murder of One
- encore -
Palisades Park
Rain King
Holiday in Spain

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 9:38 pm 
Rank This Poster

PryTo wrote:
I didn't realize it was that high, but even if you go by Setlist numbers, it's played around 80% of the time (still way higher than I assumed). I'd venture that Even Flow is closer to something like 98% -- I'm sure someone on here has the specifics on that. You go see Pearl Jam, it's a rare night when they don't play EF. It's interesting that once you get past the first six or so CC songs, the play rate falls to less than 50 percent.

I'd recognize Liberty Hall anywhere. Saw many, many shows there when I lived in Lawrence. Fantastic venue. One of the greats!

My all-time favorite Crows shows were in August 2001. Me and a buddy drove (from Lawrence) to New Orleans, where they played back-to-back nights at the House of Blues (capacity is < 850). These were warmup dates for the Hard Candy recording sessions and in those days, bootlegs weren't online the next morning like they are today. Hard Candy was nearly a year from being released and I hadn't heard any of the songs. So they were using these dates to try out new material, most of which I don't think had even been recorded at that point. The setlists were phenomenal:

Night 1 -- 7/17 songs were new/unreleased
Miami
I Wish I Was a Girl
Richard Manuel
Omaha
American Girls
Goodnight L.A.
Black and Blue
Mr. Jones
Up All Night
Rain King/Thunder Road
Good Time
Round Here
Have You Seen Me Lately?
Goodnight Elizabeth
Hanginaround

It was a good show, but night two is probably the best show I've ever seen them play. Something about second nights almost always makes them the better of two shows, for any band. The setlists had a lot of the same songs, but that was actually a good thing because I'd only heard many of them for the first time the night before and that gave them a chance to sink in a bit more.

Night 2 -- 8/18 songs were new/unreleased
Miami
Anna Begins
Richard Manuel
High Life
Carriage
1492(!!!)
Goodnight L.A.
Omaha
Black and Blue
American Girls
Catapult (acoustic)
Up All Night
Rain King
A Long December
Sullivan Street
A Murder of One
Hanginaround

Going to see 'em in San Francisco next Friday. A hometown show -- can't wait!

Badass. I didn't know you were from Lawrence. I almost went to KU which would have alienated my Husker lovin family but I love the school. Did you make that Liberty Hall show ion 2008?

Awesome about those 2001 shows. I'd love to hear Carriage and Up All Night live. Two of my faves. Hard Candy is super underrated. I didn't see them until 2003.

Last edited by BigRedLedbetter on Sat August 09, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 9:43 pm 
Rank This Poster

dsb1218 wrote:
I also went to the 8/2 show in Durant, OK and preferred it to the Houston show a few nights earlier. These were my 15th and 16th shows since my first one in 2002, and what the Durant show gave up in balance across all their studio releases it made up for in rocking versions of some of the classics from August and Recovering the Satellites. In my experience it's pretty rare to get a show with Sullivan, Murder, Round Here AND Rain King - each of which now lands between 7 to 10+ minutes (not to mention the new track Palisades Park, which is 8+ minutes and has locked down the first song of the encore throughout the summer tour).

They sound-checked Mercury and Start Again (Teenage Fanclub cover) but neither made the setlist that night. With Mercury, it sounded like they were still working out the interplay of Immy's slide guitar intro into Bryson's riff that opens the studio version found on Recovering.

8/2 Durant OK Setlist:
Sullivan St
Untitled (Love Song) (the Romany Rye cover)
Come Around
Hospital (Coby Brown cover)
Colorblind
Mercy (Tender Mercies cover)
Omaha
Cover Up the Sun
Round Here
God of Ocean Tides
A Long December
You Ain't Goin' Nowhere (technically a Dylan cover, but I consider it more of a nod to The Byrds' version)
A Murder of One
- encore -
Palisades Park
Rain King
Holiday in Spain

Agreed about You Ain't Goin Nowhere. Much more like the Byrds version. Thought Adam loves the Band and Dylan (obviously) as well.

Really loving God of Ocean Tides and Palisades Park (which had a Potters feel to it) so far. Also love the Mercy cover. They dedicated it to someone famous a few years ago. I forget who at the moment.

I remember reading that setlist last week. Very nice. I had no idea where Durant, OK was and as someone who is very familiar with the NE, KS, IA, OK area I was confused.

Thats a lot of shows! Very cool. Two weeks ago in CB was my 6th show. I met a girl two weeks ago who was seeing her 35th show.

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 10:26 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Durant is practically in Texas. Less than 20 miles past the border driving up on I-35.

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 11:23 pm 
mXn

I have nevet heard many of the unreleased songs that people are listing here.

Sessions, Wiseblood, Carriage, She Don't Want Nobody Near, etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to obtain these? CD or MP3 would be fantastic. Is there a b-side collection that I don't know about, similar to Lost Dogs?

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 11:26 pm 
AnalLog

Bammer wrote:

Can anyone point me in the right direction to obtain these? CD or MP3 would be fantastic. Is there a b-side collection that I don't know about, similar to Lost Dogs?

I don't know if there's a collection of them out there, but they're pretty easy to find online, including YouTube. We should make a master list, though. I'll start digging through my iTunes and see what's there. I'm sure we can get 'em to you one way or another.

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 11:30 pm 
Rank This Poster

dsb1218 wrote:
Durant is practically in Texas. Less than 20 miles past the border driving up on I-35.

Nice. I've made that drive a lot I'm surprised I haven't heard of it.

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 11:33 pm 
Rank This Poster

Bammer wrote:

Carriage is on Hard Candy. The rest are not on studio albums.

I like PryTo's idea for a master list.

Barely Out of Tuesday is awesome too. Actually written by Courtney Cox when her and Adam were dating.

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 11:33 pm 
AnalLog

There's a bunch of demos from August. Some of these might be covers.

Shallow Days (love this tune!)
Bulldog
Diamonds, Babies, and Cars
Floating Over You
The Ghost In You
Lightning
Love and Obsession (or is it Addiction)
Margery
Wiseblood
40 Years
August and Everything After (the amazing, unreleased title track. Never heard a studio version myself)

Open All Night (LOVE this one, too!)
She Don't Want Nobody Near (great tune from the greatest hits album)
Going Down to New York Town (pretty good song fro the Mr. Deeds soundtrack)
Einstein on the Beach (great early tune from the DCG sampler)

And Mod-L Society and the Himilayas stuff.

What else, guys?

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 11:39 pm 
Rank This Poster

PryTo wrote:

Bulldog
Floating Over You
The Ghost In You
Lightning
Margery
Wiseblood
40 Years
August and Everything After (the amazing, unreleased title track. Never heard a studio version myself)

What else, guys?

Off to a good start without getting my iPod out.

It's Love and Addiction fantastic song. I second Shallow Days....I would have loved to of heard this on AAEA

I will add....

Baby, I'm a Big Star Now (at the end of the movie Rounders)

August and Everything After (the song)....Adam has said he didn't want it on there because he didn't like it but I think lyrically it might be one of the best sings he has written

Last edited by BigRedLedbetter on Sat August 09, 2014 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 11:39 pm 
Future Drummer

PryTo wrote:

Bulldog
Floating Over You
The Ghost In You
Lightning
Margery
Wiseblood
40 Years

What else, guys?

Is "We're Only Love" a Himalayas track?

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 11:43 pm 
Rank This Poster

broken iris wrote:
PryTo wrote:

Bulldog
Floating Over You
The Ghost In You
Lightning
Margery
Wiseblood
40 Years

What else, guys?

I'm pretty sure. They covered a lot of Himalayans stuff early on.

Their The Ghost In You in you cover (Psychedelic Furs) is incredible. Better than the original I think.

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 11:55 pm 
AnalLog

Yeah, their covers are almost worthy of a separate list. I love their version of Caravan ("shake it, man, shake it!"). They do a pretty awesome take on "Night Moves," too. They used to do those bunny suit shows in New Orleans that were basically all covers. Lot of good stuff from that era. Some of those songs ended up on the covers album, like "Jumping Jesus" and "Four White Stallions," which date back to the beginning. Have you guys heard AD's version of Carmelita? Wowzers!

PostPosted: Sun August 10, 2014 12:00 am 
Future Drummer

BigRedLedbetter wrote:
broken iris wrote:

I'm pretty sure. They covered a lot of Himalayans stuff early on.

Their The Ghost In You in you cover (Psychedelic Furs) is incredible. Better than the original I think.

I love, love the cut from the Clueless soundtrack. A perfect example of honest passion in a vocal performance. The version on the AaEA reissue, not so much.

PostPosted: Sun August 10, 2014 12:16 am 
Rank This Poster

PryTo wrote:
Yeah, their covers are almost worthy of a separate list. I love their version of Caravan ("shake it, man, shake it!"). They do a pretty awesome take on "Night Moves," too. They used to do those bunny suit shows in New Orleans that were basically all covers. Lot of good stuff from that era. Some of those songs ended up on the covers album, like "Jumping Jesus" and "Four White Stallions," which date back to the beginning. Have you guys heard AD's version of Carmelita? Wowzers!

Yes love this.

I'd love to see a devil and a bunny show.

They do a mean Borderline and Crazy For You (yes Madonna) cover too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands