The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hour To Hour, Note To Note / The Elliott Smith Thread
PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 9:46 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
It's really great, and one of those rare albums that is all the better for its sense of sloppiness.

Could be. Though, I've never really perceived a sense of sloppiness with it. If anything, I think the one fault it has is it's effort to avoid sloppiness and embrace some kind of false sense of order. I wish it was more all over the place. But that's certainly not a deal breaker, obviously. I adore the record.

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 9:47 pm 
Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
It's really great, and one of those rare albums that is all the better for its sense of sloppiness.

Could be. Though, I've never really perceived a sense of sloppiness with it. If anything, I think the one fault it has is it's effort to avoid sloppiness and embrace some kind of false sense of order. I wish it was more all over the place. But that's certainly not a deal breaker, obviously. I adore the record.

You think? When I first heard it, I was really taken aback by how loose and raw everything was compared to Figure 8 and XO. But I guess, yea, some of those songs are pretty orderly. He bounces back and forth a lot on that record, from the acoustic stuff to the rock stuff. I wonder how it may have been different had he been able to mix and sequence the album himself.

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 9:50 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

You think? When I first heard it, I was really taken aback by how loose and raw everything was compared to Figure 8 and XO. But I guess, yea, some of those songs are pretty orderly. He bounces back and forth a lot on that record, from the acoustic stuff to the rock stuff. I wonder how it may have been different had he been able to mix and sequence the album himself.

God me too!

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 9:52 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

And, yeah, the songs are more raw and loose than Figure 8 and XO. I agree with that. I guess I meant the album as a whole, how it hangs together, isn't as sloppy as I want it to be. I wasn't really talking about the individual compositions or how they compare to previous efforts.

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 10:02 pm 
Production Police

Have you ever ranked the Elliott Smith albums, Joey? If not, would you care to do it now?

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 10:08 pm 
Gone

I'm a figure 8 guy. That break in the middle of Son of Sam sounds pretty neat cranked through my stereo.

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 10:10 pm 
Production Police

verb_to_trust wrote:
I'm a figure 8 guy. That break in the middle of Son of Sam sounds pretty neat cranked through my stereo.

That songs is insanely good. Have you ever heard the acoustic version?

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 10:12 pm 
Production Police

I saw Elliott do a solo gig at the Middle East in Cambridge in 1999 or 2000, right before the Oscars. It was a small, packed room, and it was sublime. He did that beautiful cover of Harvest Moon.

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 10:14 pm 
Production Police

tragabigzanda wrote:
I saw Elliott do a solo gig at the Middle East in Cambridge in 1999 or 2000, right before the Oscars. It was a small, packed room, and it was sublime. He did that beautiful cover of Harvest Moon.

Wait, something about my dates are off. He already had done the Oscars, but Figure 8 wasn't out yet. Not sure what the deal was, if he was on tour or if it was just a one-off? But I was definitely in my freshman year of college.

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 10:25 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
Have you ever ranked the Elliott Smith albums, Joey? If not, would you care to do it now?

1. Either/Or
2. XO
3. Basement
4. Figure 8
5. Elliott Smith
6. Roman Candle

Basement and XO are known to flip spots. And Figure 8 is really just 3B more than #4. It's difficult to rank his stuff and it always changes. Except Either/Or which consistently my favorite by him by a fair margin.

If we're counting New Moon as a proper album for ranking purposes, I'd put it after S/T and ahead of Roman Candle.

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 10:31 pm 
Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

1. Either/Or
2. XO
3. Basement
4. Figure 8
5. Elliott Smith
6. Roman Candle

Basement and XO are known to flip spots. And Figure 8 is really just 3B more than #4. It's difficult to rank his stuff and it always changes. Except Either/Or which consistently my favorite by him by a fair margin.

If we're counting New Moon as a proper album for ranking purposes, I'd put it after S/T and ahead of Roman Candle.

:nice: Our rankings are very similar:

tragabigzanda wrote:
Either/Or
XO
S/T
Figure 8
From a Basement on a Hill
Roman Candle
New Moon

I agree that Either/Or is his best by a fair margin. I'm way more apt to listen to From a Basement than Figure 8 or S/T these days, but I spent so many hours with those two (especially S/T) in the early aughts that I don't feel right about bumping it lower.

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 10:36 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

There really isn't a bad album in the bunch, man. I've had all of them ranked at #2 (except Either/Or) at one time or another. This is the ranking I've settled into and default to. But like I said, the next time I go through is catalog, I'm sure I'll move stuff around. Sometimes I think I'm burnt out on Figure 8 but then... I hear Stupidity Tries or Can't Make a Sound for the first time in forever and I fall all over that record again. Fuck, this guy was a goddamn genius. I miss him. A lot.

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 11:33 pm 
Broken Tamborine

tragabigzanda wrote:
I wonder how it may have been different had he been able to mix and sequence the album himself.

Elliott apparently was attempting to make his White Album, so I expect that it would have been a double album. And the sprawling, catch-all feel certainly fits. He certainly had the back catalog to make it happen. I remember reading that he was trying to pare down 50+ songs into 30 or so for Basement. Of all the archival releases (outside a catch-all box set), I'd like to get a Basement Deluxe the most.

PostPosted: Wed March 15, 2017 11:51 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Zantac Junkie wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
I wonder how it may have been different had he been able to mix and sequence the album himself.

Elliott apparently was attempting to make his White Album, so I expect that it would have been a double album. And the sprawling, catch-all feel certainly fits. He certainly had the back catalog to make it happen. I remember reading that he was trying to pare down 50+ songs into 30 or so for Basement. Of all the archival releases (outside a catch-all box set), I'd like to get a Basement Deluxe the most.

Wasn't he also planning on it starting with Shooting Star? I think I remember he originally want it to be a double album that started all frenetic and crazy and "heavy" and then slowly "devolved" into quiet, acoustic, stripped down songs by the end. Am I remembering that correctly?

PostPosted: Thu March 16, 2017 12:10 am 
Broken Tamborine

durdencommatyler wrote:
Zantac Junkie wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Wasn't he also planning on it starting with Shooting Star? I think I remember he originally want it to be a double album that started all frenetic and crazy and "heavy" and then slowly "devolved" into quiet, acoustic, stripped down songs by the end. Am I remembering that correctly?

I think so, yeah. But it was a different, noisier, longer mix of shooting star than what ended up on the album. I think he was planning on including Don't Go Down from the Brion sessions as well. He had also revisited and reworked a large number of songs from his back catalog, which would have really added to the the new songs he was already working on. True Love, Stickman, Dancing on the Highway, From the Poisoned Well, See You In Heaven, et. al. could hav only enhanced the concept as a whole.

PostPosted: Thu March 16, 2017 12:52 am 
Rank This Poster

Basement was his first album that really did it for me. I loved the messy, noisy and raw aspect of it compared to the rest of his discography.
I'll probably consider Either/Or my favorite now, but Basement is special.

PostPosted: Thu March 16, 2017 1:21 am 
Gone

durdencommatyler wrote:
There really isn't a bad album in the bunch, man. I've had all of them ranked at #2 (except Either/Or) at one time or another. This is the ranking I've settled into and default to. But like I said, the next time I go through is catalog, I'm sure I'll move stuff around. Sometimes I think I'm burnt out on Figure 8 but then... I hear Stupidity Tries or Can't Make a Sound for the first time in forever and I fall all over that record again. Fuck, this guy was a goddamn genius. I miss him. A lot.

Oh man the outro to Stupidity Tries is just phenomenal.

PostPosted: Thu March 16, 2017 1:25 am 
Gone

tragabigzanda wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

That songs is insanely good. Have you ever heard the acoustic version?

This is pretty cool. I was wondering how my favorite part of the song would sound stripped down: HARMONICA!

PostPosted: Thu March 16, 2017 3:00 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

verb_to_trust wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Oh man the outro to Stupidity Tries is just phenomenal.

So. Fucking. Gooooooooood.

PostPosted: Thu March 16, 2017 3:01 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Zantac Junkie wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Zantac Junkie wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I think so, yeah. But it was a different, noisier, longer mix of shooting star than what ended up on the album. I think he was planning on including Don't Go Down from the Brion sessions as well. He had also revisited and reworked a large number of songs from his back catalog, which would have really added to the the new songs he was already working on. True Love, Stickman, Dancing on the Highway, From the Poisoned Well, See You In Heaven, et. al. could hav only enhanced the concept as a whole.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Man... what could have been. Just sucks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands