The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: I Feel Stupid And Contagious / A Nirvana Thread
PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 4:28 pm 
AnalLog

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
Wait, no "Gallons of Rubbing Alchohol Flow Through the Strip"? That's one of the weirdest Nirvana songs ever, and one of my favorite. It's completely nonsensical, but has some of Kurt's best and most unique guitar work.

- It's a hidden track like Endless Nameless.
- It's available in a perfect mastering now as part of the regular "In Utero".
- It takes up a lot of space.

The Albini mixes of "Heart-Shaped Box" and "All Apologies" are both on the In Utero reissue. "Gallons" was actually kind of hard to find for many years. I bought a copy of In Utero in Japan that had it but stateside it was not easy to track down for many years. I think it's more worthy of being on a b-side mix than alternate versions of two of their most famous songs.

But it's the same story with "Endless Nameless", which was excluded from various pressings and technically a rairity. With the release of the deluxe edition, it is a permenent part of the album proper as it should be.

But it isn't the same story. "Endless, Nameless" was meant to be on Nevermind. Gallons was never meant to appear on In Utero, at least not the way the band meant it. If it was it would have appeared on the US version in some form. That's why it's labeled "Devalued American Dollar Purchase Incentive Track". I'm sure Kurt had something to do with that; they probably asked him which b-side or outtake he wanted to tack on to the international editions of the album as a bonus to get people abroad to pay higher prices for it. But it wasn't on the US version of the album, wasn't meant to be part of the album, and was actually really hard to track down in the pre-internet days.

Again, I'm just quibbling since I love your set overall. But I'm just perplexed by the exclusion of "Gallons".

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 5:02 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

tragabigzanda wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
Wait, no "Gallons of Rubbing Alchohol Flow Through the Strip"? That's one of the weirdest Nirvana songs ever, and one of my favorite. It's completely nonsensical, but has some of Kurt's best and most unique guitar work.

The Albini mixes of "Heart-Shaped Box" and "All Apologies" are both on the In Utero reissue. "Gallons" was actually kind of hard to find for many years. I bought a copy of In Utero in Japan that had it but stateside it was not easy to track down for many years. I think it's more worthy of being on a b-side mix than alternate versions of two of their most famous songs.

But it's the same story with "Endless Nameless", which was excluded from various pressings and technically a rairity. With the release of the deluxe edition, it is a permenent part of the album proper as it should be.

Was Endless Nameless excluded from some versions? My CD copy that I got from Columbia House had it.

Mine didn't have it but my friends did...I was pissed.

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 5:10 pm 
Production Police

bada wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
matt reeder wrote:
matt reeder wrote:

Was Endless Nameless excluded from some versions? My CD copy that I got from Columbia House had it.

This is odd...

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 5:29 pm 
Future Drummer

fyfe79 wrote:
Is the improved sound of the alternate In Utero mixes the only difference between the updated version and the original?

Edit: Also see Aneurysm from Del Mar and Seasons in the Sun have been added, and GORAFTTS and the radio edit of SLTS and have been removed.

Yes and yes.

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 8:18 pm 
A Return To Form

fyfe79 wrote:
Is the improved sound of the alternate In Utero mixes the only difference between the updated version and the original?

Edit: Also see Aneurysm from Del Mar and Seasons in the Sun have been added, and GORAFTTS and the radio edit of SLTS and have been removed.

Yes and yes.

Excellent, thanks once again. Great to have the info on where everything comes from too. For the original version actually, I couldn't figure out which release the live version of "On a Plain" came from. Now I know!

As for GORAFTTS, it's omission is fine by me. Being Irish, and getting the "international" version of IU when it was released, it wasn't rare for me - there was even a sticker on the case highlighting the fact that it was on the album. At least 'Endless Nameless' had the decency to be a genuine hidden track!

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 9:05 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

tragabigzanda wrote:
bada wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

This is odd...

In Australia, Endless Nameless was never on Nevermind, I had to buy the Come As You Are CD single to hear it, and Gallons was always on In Utero.

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 9:07 pm 
Production Police

Birds in Hell wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
bada wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

This is odd...

In Australia, Endless Nameless was never on Nevermind, I had to buy the Come As You Are CD single to hear it, and Gallons was always on In Utero.

Wow, that first part is weird. Why exclude a bonus cut that's available in the country of origin?

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 9:09 pm 

Who knows, Kurt's Incesticide liner notes were (as best I recall) never included in overseas editions either - certainly not here, anyway.

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 9:23 pm 
Production Police

wtf?!

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 9:52 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
Why exclude a bonus cut that's available in the country of origin?

Random US pressings have always excluded it. My original copy didn't have it and I didn't own it on CD until the MFSL came out.

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 10:17 pm 
tl;dr

RM confession: My original copy of "Nevermind" didn't have "Endless Nameless" either, though through folklore and the internet I was aware of its existence. When I was about 13 I agreed to take care of a neighbor's dog while they were on vacation, and when I was in their house I noticed a copy of "Nevermind" on their shelf. Out of curiosity, I put it into their CD player, and immediately took note of its 59-minute running time in lieu of its usual 41. Next time I came back to feed the dog, I brought my copy of "Nevermind" and swapped them. That's the copy of the album I have to this day. I made $25 for feeding the dog, and I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've sought out "Endless Nameless."

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 10:20 pm 
Production Police

Wow...so KD ain't so squeaky clean after all?

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 10:23 pm 
tl;dr

I feel so ashamed. I hope they haven't been wondering what happened to it all these years.

PostPosted: Mon March 13, 2017 10:25 pm 
Production Police

Welp, I think we just cracked the Kurt Cobain suicide mystery wide open.

PostPosted: Tue March 14, 2017 12:17 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Oh yeah the 90s...i love how weird it was that SuperUnknown had She Likes Surprises as the last track in the South American version of the cd.

PostPosted: Tue March 14, 2017 12:31 am 
Production Police

VinylGuy wrote:
Oh yeah the 90s...i love how weird it was that SuperUnknown had She Likes Surprises as the last track in the South American version of the cd.

did not know this

PostPosted: Tue March 14, 2017 1:19 am 

Same with every Australian edition.

I sought out a US copy so I could have it without the bonus track.

PostPosted: Tue March 14, 2017 1:31 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Oh yeah i got a US copy...I need that album to end with Like Suicide...i mean, SLS is a pretty cool song, but its not the closer track.

PostPosted: Tue March 14, 2017 1:47 am 

VinylGuy wrote:
Oh yeah i got a US copy...I need that album to end with Like Suicide...i mean, SLS is a pretty cool song, but its not the closer track.

Exactly.

PostPosted: Tue March 14, 2017 9:13 am 
A Return To Form

VinylGuy wrote:

Ha, I guess it depends on where in the world you're from. To me, living in Ireland, Superunknown always ended with She Likes Surprises and the album feels wrong without it. A cousin of mine now lives in the US and went to watch them perform the album in full a few years ago in Austin and messaged me after that it was a cool show but couldn't understand why they didn't play SLS at the end. He wasn't aware of it not being released in the US.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 67  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands