Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: The Official Neil Young Thread

Sat June 27, 2020 2:08 pm

If I remember correctly I felt the same way about Peace Trail. Of the slower albums, Silver & Gold is great.

Sat June 27, 2020 2:44 pm

Yeah S&G is a perfect listen front to back

Sat June 27, 2020 2:50 pm

I barely remember anything about Peace Trail, except for "Terrorist Suicide Hang Gliders". I remember liking that one.

And yeah, Silver & Gold is one of his best. "Razor Love" is a Top 10 NY tune.

Sat June 27, 2020 3:01 pm

Yeah I really like Razor Love as well.

Sat June 27, 2020 3:02 pm

Stone recently said he’d love to cover that one, we should be great if it came to pass

Sat June 27, 2020 3:03 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:Stone recently said he’d love to cover that one, we should be great if it came to pass

I actually think Stone should sing it. His voice would fit the song well.

Sat June 27, 2020 3:12 pm

I looove Silver and Gold. I picked it up when it came out and it was my chill album for a long time.

And yes, Stone should do it. Perfect song for him.

Sat June 27, 2020 4:37 pm

Silver and Gold is one of my very favorite Neil Young albums, it was a cornerstone of my listening when I was first getting into Neil (along with Harvest, Rust Never Sleeps, and Decade), so it will always be deeply special to me.

Peace Trail is a weak album, but "Show Me" is a good song.

Sat June 27, 2020 6:30 pm

All this talk this week inspired me to spin Harvest, Homegrown, and On The Beach today.

Add After the Goldrush to that list.

Sun June 28, 2020 9:40 am

'Silver&Gold' is perhaps his most underrated record ever (along with Mirrorball?). 'Silver & Gold' is such a gem and one of my personal favorites!

Sun June 28, 2020 3:58 pm

joostone wrote:'Silver&Gold' is perhaps his most underrated record ever (along with Mirrorball?). 'Silver & Gold' is such a gem and one of my personal favorites!

yeah i agree. Praire Wind too. and Mirroball should be consider a classic.

Sun June 28, 2020 4:59 pm

I haven't listened to Mirrorball for a long time. I always remember it as one of those albums with some really great songs, and then some other songs that are similar but not as good (though still enjoyable enough). I always liked it but never thought of it as an upper-tier Neil album, just because there are so many that I couldn't imagine ranking it higher than. I need to listen to it again.

Sun June 28, 2020 5:04 pm

Its a top 3 for me. Its super intense and raw and has some of favorite Neil moments. I love the fact that the band is Pearl Jam.

Listening to Silver and Gold now.

What a great album.

Sun June 28, 2020 5:54 pm

Razor Love is such a gem. I really hope Stone does it someday.

Without Rings is another great one. I also love Good To See You. I love how simple and beautiful the lyrics are.

Tue June 30, 2020 10:12 pm

What I've heard (updated rank):

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
After the Gold Rush
On The Beach
Silver and Gold
Long May You Run
Mirror Ball
Homegrown
Harvest Moon
Prairie Wind
Le Noise
Chrome Dreams II
Tonight's the Night
Rust Never Sleeps
Harvest
Comes A Time
Are You Passionate
Freedom
Living With War
Neil Young
Greendale

Listened to On The Beach and Le Noise (each for the first time) over the last couple days. Also revisited Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, Silver and Gold, and Long May You Run.

Tue June 30, 2020 10:25 pm

I think that’s a great ranking. Nearly every record would go up or down just a couple notches on my own list, b it generally speaking you’ve got the masterpieces towards the top, and the so-so records near the bottom (although Tonight’s The Night is way too low).

Tue June 30, 2020 10:27 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:I think that’s a great ranking. Nearly every record would go up or down just a couple notches on my own list, b it generally speaking you’ve got the masterpieces towards the top, and the so-so records near the bottom (although Tonight’s The Night is way too low).

Possible. I need to revisit TTN. It's been a really long time.

Tue June 30, 2020 10:28 pm

I agree with that ranking but its weird not to see Ragged Glory or more Crazy Horse albums there.

Tue June 30, 2020 11:01 pm

VinylGuy wrote:I agree with that ranking but its weird not to see Ragged Glory or more Crazy Horse albums there.

Just haven't heard then yet. I'll get there.

Tue June 30, 2020 11:37 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:I agree with that ranking but its weird not to see Ragged Glory or more Crazy Horse albums there.

Just haven't heard then yet. I'll get there.

I know, i know.
Post a reply