The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2698 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127 ... 135  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Official Neil Young Thread
PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 6:38 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Strat wrote:
spike wrote:
Strat wrote:
aren’t CD players themselves becoming obsolete ? At least in cars and computers ?

You have a line on a sweet dashboard turntable?

The argument here was why stream because artists music disappear and to solely rely on cd. Is vinyl guys are not placing our bets on vinyl only

Err, in direct response to Kevin Davis post.

In a lot of ways this. I rely on Spotify in the car and on public transportation, where probably 95% of my consumption is done. The other 5%, weekends when I can sit for a little while with a cup of coffee and a record cover until the family pulls me away for other things, is always physical media and never streaming (it could sometimes be a CD or a concert video). So mostly I am whining about this because it eliminates Neil Young as an option for me unless I am in the 5% window.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 6:43 pm 
The Master

liebzz wrote:
Strat wrote:
spike wrote:
Strat wrote:
aren’t CD players themselves becoming obsolete ? At least in cars and computers ?

The argument here was why stream because artists music disappear and to solely rely on cd. Is vinyl guys are not placing our bets on vinyl only

In a lot of ways this. I rely on Spotify in the car and on public transportation, where probably 95% of my consumption is done. The other 5%, weekends when I can sit for a little while with a cup of coffee and a record cover until the family pulls me away for other things, is always physical media and never streaming (it could sometimes be a CD or a concert video). So mostly I am whining about this because it eliminates Neil Young as an option for me unless I am in the 5% window.

Unless you move to Apple....

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 6:49 pm 
tl;dr

Strat wrote:
spike wrote:
Strat wrote:

I didn't say to rely solely on CD, did I? I said that I wouldn't want to rely solely on a streaming service to ensure I had access to the music I love, and CD happens to be my personal preferred format, but I certainly wasn't meaning to disparage people who collect vinyl, keep a collection of FLAC's, whatever. I'm not even meaning to disparage exclusive streamers; I'm just relating my own experience and preferences.

But, to answer your question as to why I prefer CD to vinyl: It's mostly the expense, lack of portability, and what seems like a lack of reliability in the physical product -- bad pressings, manufacturing delays, etc. It seems like there is a lot of fretting over that stuff among vinyl lovers and that's not something I really care to invest my energy in. CD's have their own issues for sure, but most of the time they're ones that are within my control to prevent.

If I go to eBay and type "neil young cd" into the search and sort by price, I can find almost all of his proper catalog albums for under $5 from highly rated sellers. Vinyl would likely be far pricier, with a great deal of potential variation in product. With CD's, unless I get shipped a scratched disc (which has happened to me maybe twice in 20 years), I can be reasonably sure of what I'm getting.

CD players are absolutely becoming obsolete, but at the same time, not particularly difficult to find. I just replaced mine last year, literally just drove to Best Buy and bought it. There aren't 100 options like there were 20 years ago, but I have never had difficulty replacing them when I've needed to, which at my level of system has proven to be about once every 7-8 years. I certainly can't imagine it's any harder than assembling a good vinyl setup. My car, a 2016 Honda, has a nice CD system; I expect next time I'm in the market for a vehicle, I won't be so lucky. In this case I'll be fine with using a streaming service to plug the gap.

All just my preference. Ultimately I think every format has pros and cons, and every listener values different things that cause those pros and cons to weigh out differently.

Last edited by Kevin Davis on Thu January 27, 2022 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 6:49 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Strat wrote:
liebzz wrote:
Strat wrote:
spike wrote:
Strat wrote:

Unless you move to Apple....

Realistically it's just not gonna happen. Damn anti-vaxxers win again.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 6:54 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kevin Davis wrote:
Strat wrote:
spike wrote:
Strat wrote:

I didn't say to rely solely on CD, did I? I said that I wouldn't want to rely solely on a streaming service to ensure access to the music I love, and CD happens to be my personal preferred format, but I certainly wasn't meaning to disparage people who collect vinyl, keep a collection of FLAC's, whatever. I'm not even meaning to disparage exclusive streamers; I'm just relating my own experience and preferences.

But, to answer your question as to why I prefer CD to vinyl: It's mostly the expense, lack of portability, and what seems like a lack of reliability in the physical product -- bad pressings, manufacturing delays, etc. It seems like there is a lot of fretting over that stuff among vinyl lovers and that's not something I really care to invest my energy in. CD's have their own issues for sure, but most of the time they're ones that are within my control to prevent.

If I go to eBay and type "neil young cd" into the search and sort by price, I can find almost all of his proper catalog albums for under $5 from highly rated sellers. Vinyl would likely be far pricier, with a great deal of potential variation in product. With CD's, unless I get shipped a scratched disc (which has happened to me maybe twice in 20 years), I can be reasonably sure of what I'm getting.

CD players are absolutely becoming obsolete, but at the same time, not particularly difficult to find. I just replaced mine last year, literally just drove to Best Buy and bought it. There aren't 100 options like there were 20 years ago, but I have never had difficulty replacing them when I've needed to, which at my level of system has proven to be about once every 7-8 years. I certainly can't imagine it's any harder than assembling a good vinyl setup.

All just my preference. Ultimately I think every format has pros and cons, and every listener values different things that cause those pros and cons to weigh out differently.

Well put. I have converted closer to vinyl but still have many hundreds of CDs. I converted because it seems like records are the dominant format, because I enjoy weirdly forcing myself to listen to full albums than skipping around, and the warmth of the sound particularly on older releases. I do though appreciate and utilize CDs.

PostPosted: Sun January 30, 2022 12:55 pm 
tl;dr

Up early this morning and enjoying a low-volume spin of Songs For Judy while I have my coffee. Man, just hearing him roll through one of these amazing songs after another, with nothing but guitar and voice -- I love, love, love Neil Young, but sometimes I forget just how much.

PostPosted: Sat February 26, 2022 4:27 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

Quote:
Even for a band whose brand is sloppy anarchy, Americana is a hot mess of blown tempos and bizarre arrangements that only seem logical if you’re listening while staring through the bottom of a tequila bottle. Sometimes, the lunacy is so extreme that it whips around back to palatable. No interest in a cover of “Oh Susannah”? What if it sounds like “Louie Louie” as performed by a bar band that’s been paid for the night in quaaludes? Does the idea of covering “Get A Job” seem corny? What if Neil is the only one who remembers Crazy Horse’s doo wop roots and yearns for a return to them? Americana is about setting up a ridiculous scenario and then somehow making it even more preposterous.

I like that record a lot, but this was funny.

PostPosted: Sat February 26, 2022 11:58 am 
Future Drummer

Kevin Davis wrote:
CD players are absolutely becoming obsolete, but at the same time, not particularly difficult to find. I just replaced mine last year, literally just drove to Best Buy and bought it. There aren't 100 options like there were 20 years ago, but I have never had difficulty replacing them when I've needed to, which at my level of system has proven to be about once every 7-8 years. I certainly can't imagine it's any harder than assembling a good vinyl setup. My car, a 2016 Honda, has a nice CD system; I expect next time I'm in the market for a vehicle, I won't be so lucky. In this case I'll be fine with using a streaming service to plug the gap.

There is no logical reason that vinyl and cassettes should be experiecing a big comeback while CD's are becoming obsolete, other than it suits the industry monetarily at the moment because of popular trend. Eventually the opposite will happen and it will be 1986 all over again. Sony will suddenly start manufacturing CD players again with funky designs on them, they will be telling young people to forget about those dumb scratchy LP's and hissy cassettes, and hipsters everywhere will be raiding yard sales for long forgotten compact discs. And so it goes.

PostPosted: Sat February 26, 2022 1:55 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

There is no logical reason that vinyl and cassettes should be experiecing a big comeback while CD's are becoming obsolete, other than it suits the industry monetarily at the moment because of popular trend. Eventually the opposite will happen and it will be 1986 all over again. Sony will suddenly start manufacturing CD players again with funky designs on them, they will be telling young people to forget about those dumb scratchy LP's and hissy cassettes, and hipsters everywhere will be raiding yard sales for long forgotten compact discs. And so it goes.

I hope they come to my yard sale. I have a lot of CDs.

PostPosted: Sat February 26, 2022 4:28 pm 
tl;dr

Birds in Hell wrote:

Quote:
Even for a band whose brand is sloppy anarchy, Americana is a hot mess of blown tempos and bizarre arrangements that only seem logical if you’re listening while staring through the bottom of a tequila bottle. Sometimes, the lunacy is so extreme that it whips around back to palatable. No interest in a cover of “Oh Susannah”? What if it sounds like “Louie Louie” as performed by a bar band that’s been paid for the night in quaaludes? Does the idea of covering “Get A Job” seem corny? What if Neil is the only one who remembers Crazy Horse’s doo wop roots and yearns for a return to them? Americana is about setting up a ridiculous scenario and then somehow making it even more preposterous.

I love that album, precisely because it is kinda how Hyden describes.

PostPosted: Sat February 26, 2022 11:44 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

Kevin Davis wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Quote:

I love that album, precisely because it is kinda how Hyden describes.

Me too!

The article prompted me to listen to Life yesterday. I forgot how much I like Mideast Vacation.

PostPosted: Sun February 27, 2022 12:08 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Life came out on the exact day I was born which is pretty cool, I like the album more each time I hear it but it’s still a bit of a jarring listen. It’s crazy how the album sounds compared to the rusted out garage tour video. I’m ok with the production though (landing on water is one of my favorites)

PostPosted: Sun February 27, 2022 1:25 am 

The Beastie Boys New Style sample in Ice Cube’s Check Yo Self is great.

Right?

PostPosted: Sun February 27, 2022 2:36 pm 

I agree that there is a certain vibe I get from Mideast Vacation that makes it pretty memorable.

Glad that Hyden ranked Time Fades Away so high.

PostPosted: Mon February 28, 2022 7:50 am 

I think i've listened to enough Neil that i could probably rank all the albums up until psychedelic pill.

actually.. i haven't listened to silver and gold,are you passionate and a few others enough to fairly rank them..

PostPosted: Mon February 28, 2022 2:15 pm 

Silver and Gold is a pleasant listen. Not sure if I'll ever listen to it again but its got a few okay songs(for Neil, music critics might go nuts over them if they were by some other less prolific guy).

PostPosted: Mon February 28, 2022 2:24 pm 
The Master

Godawful take, guys. S&G is his best album since Sleeps With Angels.

PostPosted: Mon February 28, 2022 3:32 pm 

Silver and Gold is kind of dull, I much prefer Comes A Time(I'm a 70's Neil guy, not a huge fan of Ragged Glory or Sleeps With angels). Going Home is probably the only decent song on are You Passionate.

There is only one Neil though.

PostPosted: Mon February 28, 2022 3:38 pm 
The Master

Yeah I’ve really come to love Comes a Time more recently, since inheriting an OP vinyl pressing. Awesome collection of songs.

PostPosted: Mon February 28, 2022 5:57 pm 
tl;dr

tragabigzanda wrote:
Godawful take, guys. S&G is his best album since Sleeps With Angels.

Silver and Gold is one of my favorite NY albums, in the top 3 of my favorite post-70's albums along with Ragged Glory and Sleeps With Angels.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2698 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127 ... 135  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands