The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2716 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 136  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Official Neil Young Thread
PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 3:58 pm 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
I used an app called SongShift to transfer all my playlists over when I switched from Spotify. Worked like a charm.

Any experience with your own music files being lost after signing up for apple music ?

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 4:26 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

So….most of my “own music” (bootlegs, the *correct* mix of Real Gone, stuff I wrote), I keep on a Google Drive. But the 2014 St Paul show, which I purchased and downloaded from the band, is currently in my Apple Music app as a playlist. So that tells me that you must be able to incorporate outside files somehow.

My son set that up for me, however, and I don’t know what he did.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 4:31 pm 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
So….most of my “own music” (bootlegs, the *correct* mix of Real Gone, stuff I wrote), I keep on a Google Drive. But the 2014 St Paul show, which I purchased and downloaded from the band, is currently in my Apple Music app as a playlist. So that tells me that you must be able to incorporate outside files somehow.

My son set that up for me, however, and I don’t know what he did.

The kids are alright

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 5:00 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

You guys sound like my grandfather who berated a 17 year old for opening a McDonalds at 5:33 am instead of 5:30 (he had to wait an extra 3 minutes to get his $.50 coffee) and went on about how irresponsible kids today are.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 5:01 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

liebzz wrote:
Not to get all “kids today”, but we now live in a world of instant gratification and convenience.

You are currently complaining because Neil Young’s discography is being removed from a single streaming platform, and it happens to be the one you have an account with.

Quote:
As a 15-17 year old, I hunted down every Led Zeppelin album on CD and vinyl, went into every record store I passed every time in search of Pearl Jam - Dissident single #2, etc.

So show a fraction of that gumption again, my man. A sea of Neil Young recordings awaits.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 5:33 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Just listened to Pleasures of the Harbor again. It kind of wrecked me.

That bastard McP should just spoiler all his posts.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 5:36 pm 
The Master

Malloy wrote:
Jorge wrote:
This is an extremely fitting turn for a Neil Young thread

our hurts pulse to one palpable beat

All these morherfuckers should’ve bought Ponos when they had the chance.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 5:39 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

McParadigm wrote:
liebzz wrote:
Not to get all “kids today”, but we now live in a world of instant gratification and convenience.

You are currently complaining because Neil Young’s discography is being removed from a single streaming platform, and it happens to be the one you have an account with.

Quote:
As a 15-17 year old, I hunted down every Led Zeppelin album on CD and vinyl, went into every record store I passed every time in search of Pearl Jam - Dissident single #2, etc.

So show a fraction of that gumption again, my man. A sea of Neil Young recordings awaits.

As to the first point, that is precisely correct. I am whining.

As to the second point, yes. I have a bunch of his albums through the dollar bin back in the day, but now it’s likely to be really expensive to get the albums even used when I am probably missing 30 or so of them.

On a positive note, when my wife asks me why the hell I still buy records, this is my ready made reason.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 5:52 pm 
mXn

Chris_H_2 wrote:
You guys sound like my grandfather who berated a 17 year old for opening a McDonalds at 5:33 am instead of 5:30 (he had to wait an extra 3 minutes to get his $.50 coffee) and went on about how irresponsible kids today are.

Wait a damn minute I’ve been paying a full dollar for McD’s coffee all this time!!!

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 5:53 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

We all have a bit of it in us.

My phone doesn't always recognize swipe motions on the screen anymore, and my wife keeps telling me to just buy a new one, but I don't want to buy a new one I want to use this one.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 6:01 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

As an aside, there is nothing I miss more than scouring the used records bin for treasures reasonably priced. Life has prevented me from doing this for a long time.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 6:14 pm 
tl;dr

liebzz wrote:
On a positive note, when my wife asks me why the hell I still buy records, this is my ready made reason.

Apart from just liking the format, this has always been one of my biggest reasons for continuing to curate a CD collection even as they fell from prominence into obsolescence and eventually became objects of ridicule. Ever since virtual platforms became most people's dominant listening mode, it seemed like there were always artists I really liked that just wouldn't engage with any given platform at any given time -- the Beatles weren't on iTunes, Jay-Z/Kanye would only put their stuff on Tidal, Taylor Swift wouldn't put her stuff on Spotify, lots of artists police YouTube, now Neil Young, etc. Jazz recordings have always been hit and miss (the entire ECM records catalog was unavailable to stream until I think 2020), as have catalog oddities and obscurities.

Streaming services are beautiful things for many reasons (convenience, access, discovery, etc.), but archival integrity is not one of them; if I was solely dependent on them to ensure I had access to the music I really cared about, this kind of thing:

Spoiler: show
Strat wrote:
Switched to Tidal yesterday on a whim. Ill give it a go. But Neil hates Tidal and only about half of his catalogue is there. Reading up, Neil and some seem to think Tidal is actually not losless and its a bit of scam. I think at some point we're splitting hairs and what the human ear can actually pick up.

That being said, most seem to think Apple music is the cheapest and absolute highest quality delivering lossless music. On top of that, all of Neils music is there and he supports it.

Same with Amazon but apparently the interface sucks balls and i really dont want to give more of my money to bezos as i already fucking use amazon too much.

So, my concern with apple music is: I have finally figured out how to manage my own songs (pj compliations, boots, live shows, my own recordings, etc) and keep them in my i tunes and on my iphone. So, if I subscribe to Apple music, will it go back to being unable to manage my own bootlegs and be able to transfer from computer to phone? How are playlists on apple music? How's downloading for offline listening? Can i transfer spotify library/playlists and import to Apple music? Has anyone got any good insight and experience to share with apple music?

...would drive me bananas. I 100% understand why someone would choose streaming as their primary mode of music consumption, but reading the Neil/Spotify drama definitely makes me glad I just own my own copies of all (or most) of this stuff. For all of streaming's conveniences, and there are many, nothing for me has yet topped the simplicity and relative independence of just buying the thing I want and then playing it when I want to hear it.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 6:24 pm 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
liebzz wrote:

Apart from just liking the format, this has always been one of my biggest reasons for continuing to curate a CD collection even as they fell from prominence into obsolescence and eventually became objects of ridicule. Ever since virtual platforms became most people's dominant listening mode, it seemed like there were always artists I really liked that just wouldn't engage with any given platform at any given time -- the Beatles weren't on iTunes, Jay-Z/Kanye would only put their stuff on Tidal, Taylor Swift wouldn't put her stuff on Spotify, lots of artists police YouTube, now Neil Young, etc. Jazz recordings have always been hit and miss (the entire ECM records catalog was unavailable to stream until I think 2020), as have catalog oddities and obscurities.

Streaming services are beautiful things for many reasons (convenience, access, discovery, etc.), but archival integrity is not one of them; if I was solely dependent on them to ensure I had access to the music I really cared about, this kind of thing:

Spoiler: show
Strat wrote:
Switched to Tidal yesterday on a whim. Ill give it a go. But Neil hates Tidal and only about half of his catalogue is there. Reading up, Neil and some seem to think Tidal is actually not losless and its a bit of scam. I think at some point we're splitting hairs and what the human ear can actually pick up.

That being said, most seem to think Apple music is the cheapest and absolute highest quality delivering lossless music. On top of that, all of Neils music is there and he supports it.

Same with Amazon but apparently the interface sucks balls and i really dont want to give more of my money to bezos as i already fucking use amazon too much.

So, my concern with apple music is: I have finally figured out how to manage my own songs (pj compliations, boots, live shows, my own recordings, etc) and keep them in my i tunes and on my iphone. So, if I subscribe to Apple music, will it go back to being unable to manage my own bootlegs and be able to transfer from computer to phone? How are playlists on apple music? How's downloading for offline listening? Can i transfer spotify library/playlists and import to Apple music? Has anyone got any good insight and experience to share with apple music?

...would drive me bananas. I 100% understand why someone would choose streaming as their primary mode of music consumption, but reading the Neil/Spotify drama definitely makes me glad I just own my own copies of all (or most) of this stuff. For all of streaming's conveniences, and there are many, nothing for me has yet topped the simplicity and relative independence of just buying the thing I want and then playing it when I want to hear it.

But why cd when you can vinyl then ?

;)

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 6:27 pm 
The Master

Most of dads’ music listening happens behind the wheel.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 6:27 pm 
The Master

aren’t CD players themselves becoming obsolete ? At least in cars and computers ?

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 6:28 pm 
The Master

And thus, most Neil Young listening happens in cars.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 6:28 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:
aren’t CD players themselves becoming obsolete ? At least in cars and computers ?

You have a line on a sweet dashboard turntable?

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 6:30 pm 
The Master

spike wrote:
Strat wrote:

You have a line on a sweet dashboard turntable?

The argument here was why stream because artists music disappear and to solely rely on cd. Is vinyl guys are not placing our bets on vinyl only

Err, in direct response to Kevin Davis post.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 6:31 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Probably already been asked, but what happened with that music service he was pushing? I forget what it's called.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 6:32 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Also he's a doofus, much like Rogan.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2716 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 136  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands