The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 137  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Official Neil Young Thread
PostPosted: Wed March 06, 2013 6:39 am 
Banned from the Pit

Birds in Hell wrote:
It was truly something else, wasn't it?

Very jealous that you get to see them again, really wish I could say the same.

I cant decide which song was my fav. There were so many highlights. Ramada Inn had my fav solo of the night. Such a classic song. Hurricane, walk like a giant and fuckin up were out of this world amazing. Great to see Poncho and Neil giving the audience the finger and calling us all and each other fuck ups. Truly an amazing gig and the best Ive seen by a mile.

PostPosted: Wed March 06, 2013 7:54 am 
10Club Complaint Department

neilhead wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
It was truly something else, wasn't it?

Very jealous that you get to see them again, really wish I could say the same.

I cant decide which song was my fav. There were so many highlights. Ramada Inn had my fav solo of the night. Such a classic song. Hurricane, walk like a giant and fuckin up were out of this world amazing. Great to see Poncho and Neil giving the audience the finger and calling us all and each other fuck ups. Truly an amazing gig and the best Ive seen by a mile.

Yes! Walk Like a Giant was the single greatest live performance I've been lucky enough to witness and that intense version of Hurricane was just transcendent. I'm pretty sure I was grinning (and dancing) like an idiot throughout every moment of the gig.

So, so incredible.

PostPosted: Wed March 06, 2013 7:55 am 

Fuzzcharger wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
You see those bags in the middle? They were canvas "On the Beach" tote bags. I should've bought one.

You want me to grab you one next week?

Ooh, maybe!

PostPosted: Wed March 06, 2013 8:41 am 
Posting (live)

It's amazing how a gig can bring a new appreciation of a song. My fave NY track is No Hidden Path and the version I saw at Hammersmith was out of this world. Can't wait for Ramada and Giant.

Top 5
1. No Hidden Path
2. I'm The Ocean
3. Change Your Mind
4. Down By The River
5/6. Words/everybody knows this is nowhere.

PostPosted: Wed March 06, 2013 11:18 pm 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

Birds in Hell wrote:
Fuzzcharger wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
You see those bags in the middle? They were canvas "On the Beach" tote bags. I should've bought one.

You want me to grab you one next week?

Ooh, maybe!

Well you've got till the 15th to have think about it so just hit me up with a PM when you decide and we can sort out money and postage later :-)

PostPosted: Thu March 07, 2013 5:28 am 
AnalLog

Rolling Stone posted an article about the "bad fan reviews" from the Australian shows LOL
freaking idiots...

I wish I was going to another NY/Crazy Horse show lol

PostPosted: Thu March 07, 2013 10:40 pm 
Posting (live)

Review from Brisbane Times for last night's show.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
It's a perverse pleasure watching an arena rock crowd sit through minutes of guitar feedback having already endured a relentless 15 minute rock song.

At the Brisbane Entertainment Centre on Thursday night there must have been more than a few people in the crowd thinking “I can't remember hearing this on Harvest” as they watched Neil Young, Billy Talbot and Pancho Sampedro turn their backs on the audience and press their guitars to the speakers for minutes on end.

When the sound the trio conjured eventually petered out from a ghastly howl to a ghostly hum upon Walk Like a Giant's conclusion half the crowd was elated and the other seemed unimpressed.

But that is what you get with Neil Young – the confounding of expectations.

Advertisement And musically he's all the greater for it.

While last night's show provided a brief two song interlude into acoustic and harmonica troubadour territory (Heart of Gold rousingly received) the night was really about Young and Crazy Horse and the thundering tomahawk of a blunt instrument they hammer down on the audience when their powers combine.

With just a bass, guitar and drums at their disposal Crazy Horse provide the most brutishly beautiful canvas for Young's slashing and cathartic attack on his Les Paul.

On Ragged Glory's bittersweet Love and Only Love as well as Psychedelic Pill behemoth Walked Like A Giant the band's unique chemistry comes to the fore – the joy of seeing Billy, Pancho and Young huddle together infront of the drumkit as they lay down a relentless groove for Young to work on is exhilarating.

Forget the six string sing-alongs that is musical bliss.

But it's not just musically that a Neil Young show plays on your expectations.

Conceptually, Young can provide some bizarre moments.

When I first saw the giant props on stage last night (towering fender amps and screens decked out as cool art deco televisions) I began having Greendale flashbacks (especially since the stage was being manned by what appeared to be mad scientists. Who knows what sci-fi adventure Neil has dreamed up now). And there were certainly times last night when the theatrical elements of Young's show (a young girl dressed up like a Laurel Canyon goddess wandering around aimlessly on stage as Young sang new song Singer Without a Song or or the band standing hand on heart as Advance Australia Fair played before the show began complete with a flag hanging from the rafters) dragged things down from quirky to tacky.

But Young redeems himself with his endearing sense of humour – scraping his pick down his fretboard to produce the effect of a “time machine” at one point and jokingly whooping at the audience when they show their appreciation at the set's end.

Young also redeemed himself in the eyes of those who were there for his more recognisable material as the second half of the show began.

The band delivered an inspired take of the decades-old but still untouchable Cinnamon Girl and brought the audience to their knees with a breathtaking take of Hey Hey My My – distortion bleeding out the speakers.

Having delivered a knowingly ramshackle take on Ragged Glory's F---in' Up the band returned for two encores – Opera Star and Roll Another Number for the Road. Young seemed genuinely taken back by the crowd's appreciation.

Maybe things haven't gone so well on the first two shows on the tour.

Whether the majority of the audience enjoyed proceedings was another thing entirely. A lot left early. Many seemed to be expecting something else.

Like the guy behind me who left before the final encores who told his friend:

“I thought he'd do a lot more acoustic stuff.”

Pretty sure Neil would get a kick out of that.

SETLIST: Love and Only Love, Powderfinger, Born in Ontario, Walk Like a Giant, Hole in the Sky, Heart of Gold, Twisted Gold, Singer Without a Song, Ramada Inn, Cinnamon Girl, F---in' Up, Mr Soul, Hey Hey My My, Opera Star, Roll Another Number (For the Road)

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/enterta ... z2MtbAQlZ2

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2013 2:25 pm 
Broken Tamborine

LetMeSleep wrote:
Ramada Inn, Cinnamon Girl, F---in' Up, Mr Soul, Hey Hey My My, Opera Star, Roll Another Number (For the Road)

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/enterta ... z2MtbAQlZ2

Awesome reveiw. thank you for sharing.....

That end set list ... wow :shock: awesome

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2013 8:34 pm 
Future Drummer

Holy shit, Opera Star.

just put this on the book. thought i should put it here too.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2013 9:18 pm 
The Master

Opera star!!
Such a great track. great great.

PostPosted: Sun March 10, 2013 6:49 am 

Recording of the Adelaide show is on dime!

:hooray:

PostPosted: Sun March 10, 2013 8:52 pm 

Sydney encore last night:

Prisoners of Rock n' Roll > Opera Star

Nice.

Quote:
http://neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org/2013/03/the-essence-of-doubters-neil-young.html

Lastly, we all know that Neil never, ever reads reviews. Just because he's suddenly including semi-obscure songs like "Opera Star" and "Prisoners Of Rock 'n' Roll" is purely coincidental. After all, what could the following lyrics have to do with "Doubters" and "Believers" debate, we ask???

"Opera Star"

"Some things never change,
they stay the way they are.
You were born to rock,
you'll never be an opera star
Some things never change,
they stay the way they are."

"Prisoners Of Rock 'n' Roll"

"People tell us that we play to loud
But they don't know what our music's about
We never listen to the record company man
They try to change us and ruin our band.

That's why we don't wanna be good
That's why we don't wanna be good
We're prisoners of rock and roll."

PostPosted: Sun March 10, 2013 10:36 pm 
The Master

I love neil so much i get emotional over how amazing he is.

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2013 1:54 am 

http://www.northernstar.com.au/news/nei ... -/1784382/

Quote:
Neil Young and Crazy Horse at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre
Heidi Costello

WHEN I was offered Neil Young tickets I jumped at the chance to take my dad along, knowing how much of a fan he was.

Yes. Was. I'm not sure he's nearly as big a fan anymore.

My dad's in his 60s and, as he's become older, obviously hasn't kept up with Neil and Crazy Horse's newer stuff so much.

For those who like grungy, feedback-riddled jam sessions, I'm sure the show was great. There were plenty of young people down in general admission with us who were obviously enjoying it. But the bulk of the crowd was from my dad's generation, and, from the looks on the faces of people we walked past as we left early and the reactions of the people we spoke to as we exited, they didn't enjoy it quite so much.

The show began with some rather amusing theatrics as a group of 'mad scientist' dressed roadies unveiled a very impressive set complete with giant amp, speaker and microphone props.

Neil and Crazy Horse then joining the 'mad scientists' on stage for a rendition of Advance Australia Fair before kicking the night off. They started with newer material, which I suppose was to be expected when they have a new album out. It was quite good to listen to and dad was bobbing and singing along.

But the enjoyment level dropped considerably for us after about the third song when they launched into what must have been at least 15 minutes worth of self-gratifying noise-making. Neil and Poncho were obviously enjoying themselves as they jammed away and played with the screaming feedback.

Don't get me wrong, sure, there's a time and a place for this in a rock concert. But the length of time that it went on soon made it boring and I felt nauseous. By the time this finished it was about 45 minutes into the show and we had only heard three songs - none of which had set the crowd on fire.

There was a brief reprieve when he strapped on the acoustic and gave a the crowd a little taste of the old Neil Young that I think so many had hoped for. Heart of Gold got everyone singing along and was really nicely done. Dad also really enjoyed Singer Without a Song which he played on the piano. Both the acoustic and the piano looked like they'd done a million miles, but sounded great.

But very quickly it was back to the wall of sound and the headache-inducing feedback wail. We could see quite a lot of people starting to walk out, but hung around in the hope that there might be a bit more of a glimpse of some of his 'good old stuff'.

Hey Hey My My was delivered, but he killed it… And not in a good way. As soon as it descended into another gratuitous jam session, dad and I decided that we'd seen enough and would rather not get stuck in an hour-long traffic jam to get out of the place just to hear more songs we probably didn't know and wouldn't enjoy.

As we walked up towards the exit I took note of the expressions on the faces of those seated around the aisle. Most I saw were older and most had their chin rested on their hand and looked a little bored/perplexed.

There was those who were singing along and even a couple standing, but considering the song that had just been played, it certainly wasn't the reaction that you would have expected.

As we walked out we spoke to a couple of other people who were all shaking their heads in disappointment. Dad stopped and spoke to a young guy selling programs and asked if they had had much feedback. His reaction - "Yeah, I heard a lot of people saying it was shit."

Granted, Neil and Crazy Horse continue to do new stuff and yes, they would want to play it at their concerts rather than dwelling in the past.

However, like it or not, there's a lot of people out there who are really big fans of the older stuff. If the concert had simply been a little more balanced and given a few more of the oldies, they could have kept everyone happy.

He could have fit plenty more of them in if they'd just cut down what dad described as 'a penultimate tsunami of noise'.

What a dickhead.

Also, I don't think her Dad knows what 'penultimate' means.

Classic equally dickheaded response underneath:

Quote:
Theres nothing immature about this review. An artist is there to entertain, and Neil Young failed. I understand all the writers points.

Any artist as profilic as Neil Young knows that the majority of his ticket sales will be to older fans who want to hear his classics . If he tours and fails to cater to that , then he has killed off a lot of his potential future ticket buyers.

IF you are going to change style, fine, but Neil isnt cutting it with todays music. He aint no Dave Grohl or whatever he is trying to sound like.

Seems to me Neil Young is not a very astute business man. Either that, or this is his last tour, and he doesnt care. Love his early stuff, wouldnt bother with the crap he is doing these days.

Har-fucking-har!

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2013 2:07 am 
The Master

I love that Neil is still pissing people off and polarizing fans the same way he was doing 30 years ago.

Neil. Its amazing that shit conversation is going on. its Neil Young.

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2013 8:01 am 
Posting (live)

Last night was sonic nectar. Absolutely flawless gig that left me and my mate speechless. Walk..Giant was immense and seg'd beautifully into Hole in the sky (awesome new track). The feedback jam was just one of the highlights. How does Neil do it? The set is based around two new massive tracks (giant and Ramada) and even with all the old classics those 2 new tracks deliver the goods ( just like No Hidden Path did in 2008).
And then the encores. Wow. He joked and was having a great time. He joked that they were now a serious touring band as for the first 4 shows they had vans but now they had a bus. Brought the house down.

Sure there were the losers whose expectations weren't met but for everyone else, and the band, they made it all the sweeter. I'm jealous of whoever gets to see the next show.

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2013 10:26 pm 
Posting (live)

http://m.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/ragged-glory-of-an-uncompromising-performer-20130311-2fuz7.html

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2013 10:44 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I'd pay good money for a 4-LP live set from this tour or something like that. Are you reading this, Neil?

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2013 10:45 pm 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

It appears the Drones are opening the shows now too. Awesome!

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2013 10:56 pm 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Fuzzcharger wrote:
It appears the Drones are opening the shows now too. Awesome!

They deserve it for being so good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 137  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands