The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Entire genres that only need one thread #1: "Jazz"
PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2013 5:55 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Went to see the weekly set by Mingus Big Band last night at the Jazz Standard in NY. They were amazing.

PostPosted: Sat March 09, 2013 6:12 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

listened to mingus' let my children hear music just now. i love so much about it.

PostPosted: Sat March 09, 2013 6:21 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

dkfan9 wrote:
listened to mingus' let my children hear music just now. i love so much about it.

:nice:

PostPosted: Sat March 09, 2013 7:13 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Birds in Hell wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:

:nice:

:nice: :nice:

PostPosted: Sat March 09, 2013 7:14 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Are we allowed to include Jazz-Fusion?
If so ,,,
:heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Sat March 09, 2013 7:28 am 

so i'm gonna be going to a nice independent store with lots of music this weekend or next. what should i pick up (in cd format, of course)?

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2013 2:33 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I eluded to this in the wax thread, but this weekend picked up the Dirty Dozen Brass Band's New Orleans Album ($4) and Volume 2 of some collection of songs from the Preservation Hall Jazz Band ($3). I quite enjoyed both. Ah, the power of the Just In bin at Academy Records.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 4:22 am 
Broken Tamborine

LOVE Coltrane!

And Miles of course!

I loved a lot of different Jazz from back in the day... Spiro gyra, Lee Ritinour, Grusin, Al DiMeola, etc. I need to go back and revisit the genre a lot more than I do actually... There's some great, great music there!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:49 pm 
tl;dr

Miles would have been 87 today.

My favorite era:

PostPosted: Wed June 12, 2013 9:12 am 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

I just picked up a 5cd Modern Jazz Quartet budget box sets with replica LP sleeves. So good.

PostPosted: Thu June 13, 2013 7:07 pm 

Great album, though I don't like the title track that much. Also, interesting how he died.

PostPosted: Fri September 20, 2013 6:00 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I was digging through a bunch of old Blue Notes last night and came across this gem...I always forget what a great album it is

PostPosted: Mon September 23, 2013 1:33 am 

Nothing ruins a good online jazz radio stream than someone slipping that first Norah Jones album into the playlist.

PostPosted: Mon September 23, 2013 1:47 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Fuzzcharger wrote:
Nothing ruins a good online jazz radio stream than someone slipping that first Norah Jones album into the playlist.

Really depends on what was playing before her, doesn't it? I can understand being pissed off if it transitioned from some Sonny Sharrock noise jam, or like a great Mingus rave-up, or some abstract instrumental stuff. But if you're listening to vocalists doing the breezy, brushy stuff, a la Stacey Kent or Diana Krall, it fits in pretty well. That Norah Jones album gets a lot of flack because it got so hugely popular, but I actually really like it. I think her subsequent career has proven that she was more than a pretty-faced dilettante, more than a Bublé.

And this is where I hand in my jazz enthusiast credentials. I've just defended Norah Jones.

PostPosted: Mon September 23, 2013 1:52 am 

theplatypus wrote:
Fuzzcharger wrote:

Really depends on what was playing before her, doesn't it? I can understand being pissed off if it transitioned from some Sonny Sharrock noise jam, or like a great Mingus rave-up, or some abstract instrumental stuff. But if you're listening to vocalists doing the breezy, brushy stuff, a la Stacey Kent or Diana Krall, it fits in pretty well. That Norah Jones album gets a lot of flack because it got so hugely popular, but I actually really like it. I think her subsequent career has proven that she was more than a pretty-faced dilettante, more than a Bublé.

And this is where I hand in my jazz enthusiast credentials. I've just defended Norah Jones.

You're right about the sequencing, it did come after some instrumental tunes with Hancock, Coltrane and Miles but there was a bit of Chet Baker in there too and Sinatra at the Sands. Norah just sounded so new. I probably just have an aversion to contemporary vocal jazz that I've never picked up on before.

PostPosted: Mon September 23, 2013 2:41 am 
tl;dr

She was always more than a Buble, even on that billion-selling first record. Equally glad to be harking back to that era of songwriting, perhaps, but it's very clear that she's filtering her own emotions and melodic ideas through it (even though the dudes in her band wrote most of the songs) and not just sculpting a novelty recreation of it. I played that album quite a bit during the summer of 2003--poppy without being trite and sophisticated without being pretentious, it was a refreshing alternative both to the other stuff on the radio as well as the other stuff in my collection. I stopped paying attention to her after her first two albums, but I did think "Chasing Pirates" was a good single.

I like that she set Hank Williams to a walking jazz bassline, and she covers Tom Waits as well as anyone.

Last edited by Kevin Davis on Mon September 23, 2013 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon September 23, 2013 2:42 am 
Poster of the Year

Remember when they changed how we use the youtube code to make it easier?

PostPosted: Mon September 23, 2013 2:49 am 

I've also discovered that I don't really dig Jamie McCullum or Diana Krall either.

PostPosted: Mon September 23, 2013 2:52 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Kevin Davis wrote:
She was always more than a Buble, even on that billion-selling first record. Equally glad to be harking back to that era of songwriting, perhaps, but it's very clear that she's filtering her own emotions and melodic ideas through it (even though the dudes in her band wrote most of the songs) and not just sculpting a novelty recreation of it. I played that album quite a bit during the summer of 2003--poppy without being trite and sophisticated without being pretentious, it was a refreshing alternative both to the other stuff on the radio as well as the other stuff in my collection. I stopped paying attention to her after her first two albums, but I did think "Chasing Pirates" was a good single.

I like that she set Hank Williams to a walking jazz bassline, and she covers Tom Waits as well as anyone.

Great post, and my exact feelings. I used to be a big fan of their first two albums and i love Chasing Pirates as well.
Saw her live around that time, and she was great, a really good mix between jazz, soul and Country.

Ive been obsessed with this one:

PostPosted: Mon September 23, 2013 3:01 am 
tl;dr

Kevin Davis wrote:
Equally glad to be harking back to that era of songwriting, perhaps

I take this back, actually. Apart from a few tracks, the instrumental arrangement, and the fact that the album was on Blue Note, stylistically there's just as much other stuff in her repertoire as there is Tin Pan Alley-style jazz standards. Even on that first record there were just as many songs that were country- or folk-based as jazz-based. By the time of her second album she was even deeper into the "Americana" thing.

Fuzzcharger wrote:
I've also discovered that I don't really dig Jamie McCullum or Diana Krall either.

I don't think I would have appreciated Diana Krall had I not discovered her through her album "The Girl in the Other Room," which is half-composed of songs that she co-wrote with her then-new husband, who happens to be one of my favorite musicians ever. She has a strange interpretive style, and her voice is one of wisdom and experience more than one of technique or soul. Most of those songs she co-wrote with D.P.A. MacManus are heartrending, though, and I like her a lot now. Every Christmas I look forward to her version of "Jingle Bells."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands