The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Beatles
PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 1:44 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I think it might be time to dust off the White album and give it another go.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 6:40 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

durdencommatyler wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Speaking of overrated, how bout the white album? Way too much filler on the second album.

One man's filler is another man's treasure, or how ever that goes.

I mean, what would you cut to make it the best possible 1 disc album? It's trying to cut that thing down.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 8:39 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Speaking of overrated, how bout the white album? Way too much filler on the second album.

I mean, what would you cut to make it the best possible 1 disc album? It's trying to cut that thing down.

I could easily do this...here's my disc:

Back in the USSR, Dear Prudence, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Happiness is a Warm Gun, I'm So Tired, Blackbird, Yer Blues, Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey, Sexy Sadie, Helter Skelter, Revolution 1, Cry Baby Cry.

Throw in Long Long Long and Don't Pass Me By for another obligatory Harrison song and a Ring song if you must...but I'd skip them.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 8:46 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Gods' Die wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Back in the USSR, Dear Prudence, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Happiness is a Warm Gun, I'm So Tired, Blackbird, Yer Blues, Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey, Sexy Sadie, Helter Skelter, Revolution 1, Cry Baby Cry.

Throw in Long Long Long and Don't Pass Me By for another obligatory Harrison song and a Ring song if you must...but I'd skip them.

Oh man, but you're missing the likes of Glass Onion, Rocky Raccoon and Mother Nature's Son which, for me are indispensable, and also missing some personal favorites like I Will, Piggies and Savoy Truffle.

Yeah, man. Couldn't do it.

Nice effort, though.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 8:50 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Gods' Die wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Mecca wrote:

I'm opposed to this on, at a minimum, the grounds of Why Don't We Do it, Birthday, Mother Nature's Son, and the resulting absence of the Obla Di story from any resulting Beatles book.

If anything, the white album could have been another disc long. Junk, Not Guilty, Mean Mr. Mustard, Polythene Pam (both of which, fleshed out, probably would have fit better here), Child of Nature, Circles, Heather, Everyone Had a Hard Year, Lady Madonna, The Inner Light, Los Paranoias, Step Inside Love, The Long and Winding Road, Sour Milk Sea....not to mention the blistering electric Revolution and Hey Jude.

Stupid 60's and your stupid keeping the singles off the albums (I lie...I like that approach).

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 8:54 pm 
Poster of the Year

You can't cut shit off the white album. You just can't.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 8:54 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

McParadigm wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Mecca wrote:

I'm opposed to this on, at a minimum, the grounds of Why Don't We Do it, Birthday, Mother Nature's Son, and the resulting absence of the Obla Di story from any resulting Beatles book.

If anything, the white album could have been another disc long. Junk, Not Guilty, Mean Mr. Mustard, Polythene Pam (both of which, fleshed out, probably would have fit better here), Child of Nature, Circles, Heather, Everyone Had a Hard Year, Lady Madonna, The Inner Light, The Long and Winding Road, Sour Milk Sea....not to mention the blistering electric Revolution and Hey Jude and other .

Stupid 60's and your stupid keeping the singles off the albums (I lie...I like that approach).

I'm not sure how Obla Di got omitted from my post.

I really love Birthday. It's such a fun song, but it's not one of the ones I feel is indispensable. I think that could easily have been a b-side. Or a stand alone single.

Also, not gonna lie, I haven't heard some of those songs mentioned above (Child of Nature, Circles, Heather, Everyone Had a Hard Year and Sour Milk Sea). Are those readily available? And how have I not heard them?

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 8:55 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
You can't cut shit off the white album. You just can't.

Pete gets it.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 8:56 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Oh man, but you're missing the likes of Glass Onion, Rocky Raccoon and Mother Nature's Son which, for me are indispensable, and also missing some personal favorites like I Will, Piggies and Savoy Truffle.

Yeah, man. Couldn't do it.

Nice effort, though.

Rocky Raccoon was supposed to be on there (margs at lunch)...otherwise the rest can be relegated to gems discovered at a later date; using the word "gems" pretty liberally, Piggies & Savory Truffles would be a favor.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 8:59 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

durdencommatyler wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Mecca wrote:

If anything, the white album could have been another disc long. Junk, Not Guilty, Mean Mr. Mustard, Polythene Pam (both of which, fleshed out, probably would have fit better here), Child of Nature, Circles, Heather, Everyone Had a Hard Year, Lady Madonna, The Inner Light, The Long and Winding Road, Sour Milk Sea....not to mention the blistering electric Revolution and Hey Jude and other .

I'm not sure how Obla Di got omitted from my post.

I really love Birthday. It's such a fun song, but it's not one of the ones I feel is indispensable. I think that could easily have been a b-side. Or a stand alone single.

Also, not gonna lie, I haven't heard some of those songs mentioned above (Child of Nature, Circles, Heather, Everyone Had a Hard Year and Sour Milk Sea). Are those readily available? And how have I not heard them?

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 9:00 pm 

Well I have to listen to these.

Edit: and it's discoveries like these that make a song that might not be at the top of the class fun to discover, rather than skipping them and feeling as though they shouldn't be on the record.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 9:13 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Also, I think part of the charm of the white album is that it isn't as contained, precision-concerned, or pop oriented as the band's other works. By being as sprawling and messy as it is, it provided the band with the ability to explore avenues of pop craft that usually had to be left to bands like the Kinks and the Beatles, as well as more bizarre and lesser known acts. Even when they're missteps, they are bleary eyed acid sparkled missteps that add to the pop art quality of the record.

It's no accident that the cover of the self titled-record runs opposite to Pepper's full house design. It's an intentional deconstruction of what that album was, what it created for the band, and the resultant way albums were being made in the late 60's. In order to be the opposite of a sublime, ambrosial pop album, it needed to get atonal, dissonant, and weird from time to time. In order to be the opposite of carefully plotted, it needed to be occasionally underdesigned. A lot of those pieces you want to ditch are the sound of the Beatles trying to blow up the Beatles.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 9:29 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
Also, I think part of the charm of the white album is that it isn't as contained, precision-concerned, or pop oriented as the band's other works. By being as sprawling and messy as it is, it provided the band with the ability to explore avenues of pop craft that usually had to be left to bands like the Kinks and the Beatles, as well as more bizarre and lesser known acts. Even when they're missteps, they are bleary eyed acid sparkled missteps that add to the pop art quality of the record.

It's no accident that the cover of the self titled-record runs opposite to Pepper's full house design. It's an intentional deconstruction of what that album was, what it created for the band, and the resultant way albums were being made in the late 60's. In order to be the opposite of a sublime, ambrosial pop album, it needed to get atonal, dissonant, and weird from time to time. In order to be the opposite of carefully plotted, it needed to be occasionally underdesigned. A lot of those pieces you want to ditch are the sound of the Beatles trying to blow up the Beatles.

They did blow up the Beatles, not too long after this by the way. It's my favorite Beatles record, on the strength of about 12-15 songs. I don't feel guilty, especially with this sloppy & haphazard record, chopping it up. I love the attitude on display with this set so I don't blame the bloat but don't feel bad skipping the lesser tracks. Not saying they shouldn't be there, just that I could cut some.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 9:33 pm 
Poster of the Year

What you refer to as bloat and lesser tracks are exactly what I think gives this album its charm. If we're playing the white album and Don't Pass Me By or Why Don't We Do It In The Road doesn't come on I'm going to be upset about it.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 10:04 pm 
Polluted

Great, now I'm gonna hafta smoke a bowl and listen to the White Album.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 10:05 pm 
Poster of the Year

Self wrote:

It's going on as soon as I get home.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 10:08 pm 

cutuphalfdead wrote:
What you refer to as bloat and lesser tracks are exactly what I think gives this album its charm. If we're playing the white album and Don't Pass Me By or Why Don't We Do It In The Road doesn't come on I'm going to be upset about it.

Let me qualify...I like them being on there. But having internalized the record and it having over 30 tracks at this point I'll skip the fuckers. But upon discovering the record and through the first 50 listens; I'm definitely glad the bloat is on there; it's still bloat though.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 10:10 pm 
Poster of the Year

Gods' Die wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Let me qualify...I like them being on there. But having internalized the record and it having over 30 tracks at this point I'll skip the fuckers. But upon discovering the record and through the first 50 listens; I'm definitely glad the bloat is on there; it's still bloat though.

I don't know. I've listened to the white album as much as anyone and I still don't want to skip them.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 10:10 pm 
Polluted

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Self wrote:

likes rythmic things that butt up against each other?

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 10:28 pm 
Poster of the Year

Self wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Self wrote:

likes rythmic things that butt up against each other?

That's the standard rank for anyone who reaches 500 posts here apparently.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 64  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands