The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: And We Are All Together / The Beatles Thread
PostPosted: Mon November 29, 2021 12:27 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I'm only through part one of this too, and just blown away by this. Amazing doc here.

I think I'm mostly surprised by how talented Paul was. Yes, he comes across as a bit pushy - but, not in an obnoxious way. He's really trying to keep the band focused and working hard. The arrangments he comes up with on the fly while giving instructions to others is incredible. Great musical vision.

George does seem a bit whiny, but we don't really no the past context that got him here. I mean, they were basically done after the White Album, so it likely just carried over from that album's overall baggage.

John seems more pleasant than I'd expected so far.

And, Ringo is basically a fly on the wall in the band. That was a bit surprising too.

Looking forward to the next eps.

PostPosted: Mon November 29, 2021 3:05 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

If this doc has done one thing, I have probably listened to Let It Be more times in the past week than I had heard the album in total before. You might hear them working out Two of Us in the film on and on, or Don’t Let Me Down - but that woke up the songs for me. Wherein before this, I might have put Let It Be pretty low on my list of Beatles albums, it has definitely jumped up for me.

I am not through this yet - didn’t get a chance to watch any last night, but I am right at where Billy Preston has had the effect of bringing everyone into the same headspace. Also, I really think Paul was onto something and I am sad that not only did that get somewhat muted in the production of Let It Be, but that they’ve spent 50-something years trying to fix it, or so it seems, and I am not sure it’s quite right even now - but the songs are so phenomenal they overcome this.

PostPosted: Mon November 29, 2021 5:40 pm 
The Master

Been enjoying reading your reactions to this. Still haven't watched, just not very high on my needs list as it doesn't seem to offer much new info that I personally find valuable. But I did want to share that for those of you getting off on the studio stuff, you should really try to get your hands on the forthcoming reissue of Recording The Beatles, one of the most hands-down beautiful coffee table books I've ever seen. OPs go for like $750 now on Ebay, and $100 is a bargain...

It illustrates in painstaking detail their entire recording session chronology, and really illuminates the degree to which the BBC -- typically presented as a bunch of scientists in white lab jackets -- worked alongside the band to develop recording techniques to help them achieve their sonic dreams.

After reading this book, the doc you're all enjoying seems to be more about the personality interplay in the studio which, again, just isn't something I'm terribly interested in. But I think some of you would really love this book.

PostPosted: Mon November 29, 2021 6:15 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

There are also some parts about the sound, speakers, the walls, the studio etc. I think mostly in the second episode.

PostPosted: Mon November 29, 2021 6:31 pm 
The Master

Anders wrote:
There are also some parts about the sound, speakers, the walls, the studio etc. I think mostly in the second episode.

:thumbsup: I think that by the time this doc was shot, the studio stuff had pretty much faded into the background: the gear they needed all existed, and they could just focus on their songwriting (and let their personalities take a bigger role). The book I've rec'd really makes it seem like in the earlier years, they were part of a larger team, working as one to learn how to utilize technology to achieve their goals...

That's the more interesting narrative to me personally, anyway. I'm not clear on when the shift happened. Probably sometime between '66-68, when the technology and creative spirit of Revolver gave way to the silo'd production methodology of The White Album: The gear worked, they could quarantine depending on whatever creative/personality clashes they had, and there was less of an impetus to put ego aside in the name of making really great records.*

*Of course they still made a couple more really great records in the new model.

PostPosted: Mon November 29, 2021 7:47 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I'm so excited to watch the rest of this but I have no idea when that's actually going to happen. Part One was just so fascinating. I'm just excited to know this is out there.

PostPosted: Mon November 29, 2021 8:26 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
Been enjoying reading your reactions to this. Still haven't watched, just not very high on my needs list as it doesn't seem to offer much new info that I personally find valuable. But I did want to share that for those of you getting off on the studio stuff, you should really try to get your hands on the forthcoming reissue of Recording The Beatles, one of the most hands-down beautiful coffee table books I've ever seen. OPs go for like $750 now on Ebay, and $100 is a bargain...

It illustrates in painstaking detail their entire recording session chronology, and really illuminates the degree to which the BBC -- typically presented as a bunch of scientists in white lab jackets -- worked alongside the band to develop recording techniques to help them achieve their sonic dreams.

After reading this book, the doc you're all enjoying seems to be more about the personality interplay in the studio which, again, just isn't something I'm terribly interested in. But I think some of you would really love this book.

I have the first printing which is designed to look like an EMI tape box, and the book slides out. It's insane, and it finally explains in great detail exactly how they recorded I Am The Walrus (up to that point there had been much confusion).

PostPosted: Mon November 29, 2021 8:26 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I have the first printing which is designed to look like an EMI tape box, and the book slides out. It's insane, and it finally explains in great detail exactly how they recorded I Am The Walrus (up to that point there had been much confusion).

baller

PostPosted: Tue November 30, 2021 3:55 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

we're only through part one. McCartney is a goddamn machine.

PostPosted: Tue November 30, 2021 5:12 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I'm 2 hours into the first episode, and it took all of 30 minutes for george harrison to start coming across as insecure and needy.

yoko ono sitting among the four members while they're trying to piece together music really bugs me. i can't imagine how the three other members felt.

PostPosted: Tue November 30, 2021 5:23 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

https://www.theonion.com/new-beatles-do ... 1848132216

PostPosted: Tue November 30, 2021 5:31 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Chris_H_2 wrote:
I'm 2 hours into the first episode, and it took all of 30 minutes for george harrison to start coming across as insecure and needy.

yoko ono sitting among the four members while they're trying to piece together music really bugs me. i can't imagine how the three other members felt.

Not sure if they were being polite but they mostly seem to not notice her at all.

PostPosted: Tue November 30, 2021 5:46 pm 

liebzz wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

Not sure if they were being polite but they mostly seem to not notice her at all.

Spoiler: show
the part where she's screaming JOHN into the mic over and over...i could've gone without seeing that. i get it yoko. you love john.

PostPosted: Tue November 30, 2021 6:02 pm 
Future Drummer

dad wrote:
the part where she's screaming JOHN into the mic over and over...i could've gone without seeing that. i get it yoko. you love john.

They are all having a good time making harsh noise behind her, even Paul, which was entirely the point. At the time she was totally into free jazz, and was trying to use Japanese vocal techniques to make her voice sound like a saxophone going crazy. So if you're not into, for example, John Coltrane going apeshit, you're REALLY not going to like a Japanese lady wailing away. I find it funny that people think she is trying to "sing", as if she thinks she's Olivia Newton-John or something.

PostPosted: Tue November 30, 2021 6:13 pm 

dad wrote:

They are all having a good time making harsh noise behind her, even Paul, which was entirely the point. At the time she was totally into free jazz, and was trying to use Japanese vocal techniques to make her voice sound like a saxophone going crazy. So if you're not into, for example, John Coltrane going apeshit, you're REALLY not going to like a Japanese lady wailing away. I find it funny that people think she is trying to "sing", as if she thinks she's Olivia Newton-John or something.

i didn't think she was trying to sing. I'll have to go back and rewatch that part. seemed like the point of keeping that in the doc was to emphasize how much she and john adored each other.

PostPosted: Tue November 30, 2021 6:15 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I don’t dislike Yoko, but watching Linda’s daughter take the mic and mimic her cracked me up.

PostPosted: Tue November 30, 2021 6:44 pm 
Future Drummer

dad wrote:
i didn't think she was trying to sing. I'll have to go back and rewatch that part. seemed like the point of keeping that in the doc was to emphasize how much she and john adored each other.

Nah, I'm just saying that the point of Yoko's vocalizations during this era (1969-1971) was for everyone to jam out and make a huge racket, which was the point of that jam in the film. Her first solo album has astonishing backup from John, Ringo & Klaus.

Most people approach that stuff as if they were trying to say "let's back up this amazing singer". They act as though they are being duped. But it's really just free jazz, or free rock or whatever. Not for the faint of heart, and not something I would personally sit down and listen to on a regular basis.

McParadigm wrote:
I don’t dislike Yoko, but watching Linda’s daughter take the mic and mimic her cracked me up.

Yeah, and John loves every second of it too.

PostPosted: Tue November 30, 2021 6:46 pm 
Major Dude

dad wrote:

I find it funny you used Olivia Newton-John as your example.

PostPosted: Tue November 30, 2021 6:59 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

It was crazy when they juxtaposed the band playing rock and roll music with footage of them playing that song on the 1966 tour. It was only 2 1/2 years before, but it may as well have been 12 1/2.

PostPosted: Tue November 30, 2021 7:07 pm 
tl;dr

John Coltrane going apeshit

I was just today listening to this very thing!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 64  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands