The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: And We Are All Together / The Beatles Thread
PostPosted: Wed January 19, 2022 4:11 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

evenslow wrote:
this thread should now be 200 pages after get back. ffs, we really dropped the ball here considering it's the greatest pop culture achievement since like roots. i blame myself.

Cuz you're a loooo oo oser ?

PostPosted: Sun January 30, 2022 5:52 pm 
Future Drummer

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

The complete rooftop "concert" has been released as streaming video and audio, because they got an enormous amount of blowback for pulling it from the deluxe edition at the last minute and cutting away from it frequently in the documentary.

There are now illegal FLAC and MP3 rips on The Priate Bay. Sounds great!

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2022 11:34 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Seeing McCartney in 15 days, so a McCartney & Wings journey! I have listened to The Beatles through now probably 3 or 4 times so this should be interesting because I am largely unfamiliar.

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2022 11:49 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

McCartney

If one, not unlike myself in many ways, only listened to the Beatles, you could get a sense of invincibility about not just the band, but each member. Nearly every song they put to record is some level of great, even when deliberately tossed in. So it’s in their solo work where we see often the sum of the Beatles were truly greater than the parts, but perhaps because the standard of review is that much higher. Here, McCartney mixes legitimate highlights and what are sort of sketches of ideas - perhaps could have been lifted up by the Beatles or perhaps in their own space. It never makes for a difficult or tough listen - just a recalibration that this ain’t no Abbey Road. The first half of this album feels like McCartney dipping his toe in the water, not exactly sure how to proceed, but the highlights come in the second half - Oo You, Momma Miss America, and Maybe I’m Amazed. There may not be a severe downside to this album, but outside of these, the rest are sort of decent and there but not all that memorable. Good facsimiles of what I expect McCartney to sound like on his own - full of good soundscapes, nice vocals, but without the bite Lennon brought and inspired.

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2022 4:16 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

RAM

This is a fantastic album, and one that differs from its predecessor in both scope and sound. It is here that McCartney allows the songs to breathe and take interesting turns, such as Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey, Long Haired Lady, and Back Seat of My Car - twists that would both fit and be independent of his former gig. The strong start in Too Many People, 3 Legs, and Ram On show an artist looking to expand his space while still playing to what made him great in the first place. Monkberry Moon Delight seems silly but is a sonic highlight. Similarly, Smile Away slays without standing apart from the rest. If McCartney were a sketch of soon to be post-Beatles curiosities, this feels like a natural closing of the circle where McCartney really starts to find his voice as a solo artist.

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2022 4:47 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
RAM

This is a fantastic album, and one that differs from its predecessor in both scope and sound. It is here that McCartney allows the songs to breathe and take interesting turns, such as Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey, Long Haired Lady, and Back Seat of My Car - twists that would both fit and be independent of his former gig. The strong start in Too Many People, 3 Legs, and Ram On show an artist looking to expand his space while still playing to what made him great in the first place. Monkberry Moon Delight seems silly but is a sonic highlight. Similarly, Smile Away slays without standing apart from the rest. If McCartney were a sketch of soon to be post-Beatles curiosities, this feels like a natural closing of the circle where McCartney really starts to find his voice as a solo artist.

"Back Seat Of My Car" is as close as McCartney came to ripping off the Beach Boys. Gorgeous song. And a great album. Believe it or not, it got very poor reviews upon release, and some people still rag on it.

PostPosted: Wed June 01, 2022 9:43 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Wings - Wild Life

Officially, The Wings debut, though it seems RAM is basically a Wings album. I am not sure anyone is confusing this with great albums across McCartney’s full career, but instead what we get are a charming group of songs that are better than given credit - little explorations into blues, reggae, and some signature pop tunes. Mumbo, Bip Bop, Love Is Strange, Wild Life, Some People Never Know, Tomorrow, and Dear Friend all initially didn’t seem to work until they progressed and then managed to charm me before their respective ends. I probably wouldn’t actively reach for this much, but it sort of works anyway.

PostPosted: Thu June 02, 2022 12:12 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Wings - Red Rose Speedway

The second Wings album seems more or less a more antiseptic version of the first, largely forgettable mediocre songs that fail to make their mark, with the exception for me in Little Lamb Dragonfly and the closing medley. Without the future releases, this seems like a largely apathetic affair. Very little enthusiasm sticks out in the recordings save for Big Barn Red, and this would seem to be a band limping along without getting credit for RAM, their strongest release thus far. Things will get better, but I could see a McCartney fan really losing patience at this point.

PostPosted: Thu June 02, 2022 1:25 am 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
Wings - Red Rose Speedway

The second Wings album seems more or less a more antiseptic version of the first, largely forgettable mediocre songs that fail to make their mark, with the exception for me in Little Lamb Dragonfly and the closing medley. Without the future releases, this seems like a largely apathetic affair. Very little enthusiasm sticks out in the recordings save for Big Barn Red, and this would seem to be a band limping along without getting credit for RAM, their strongest release thus far. Things will get better, but I could see a McCartney fan really losing patience at this point.

Little Lamb Dragonfly and Get On The Right Thing are "Ram" outtakes. "Ram" era rough mixes appear on the "Red Rose" super mega suckmydick edition.

"Single Pigeon" is the only period song I like on this super limp-dicked LP.

The deluxe has some cool outtakes though. Night Out, 1882 and Mama's Little Girl are pretty good and should have been on the LP.

Things would pick up majorly for "Band On The Run" and "Venus And Mars" but then it was back downhill again.

PostPosted: Thu June 02, 2022 11:48 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Wings - Band on the Run

What a difference an album makes…this is really the first Wings album thus far that feels essential. Band on the Run is a classic and has that sort of immediate twist and turn in its composition that I think is a feature of McCartney’s best work post Beatles. Jet is really great and has a sort of hard charging chorus that stays with you - as does the chorus in Mrs. Vanderbilt. Let Me Roll It is pretty killer. The trio of Picasso’s Last Words, Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five, and Helen Wheels is a great stretch. This is the best Wings album so far by a pretty wide margin.

PostPosted: Thu June 02, 2022 1:14 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Wings - Venus and Mars

The follow up to Band on the Run is similarly strong. Here, there seems to be this good balance between the pop and structure of Paul’s former band but also some element of a Stones-like swagger. Letting Go is a great example of this. Venus and Mars/Rock Show is really a fun start. Magneto and Titanium Man, Medicine Jar, Spirits of Ancient Egypt, Call Me Back Again, and Treat Her Gently were also first listen highlights. Listen to What the Man Said is a classic, but it’s a good example of Paul getting a pop song right, where on the next album it sort of falls flat for me on that front.

PostPosted: Thu June 02, 2022 1:20 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Wings - At the Speed of Sound

This one starts off quite strong, with the classic Let’Em In, The Note You Never Wrote, and She’s My Baby. And really mostly this album is decent enough, and would really be aided by having a song like Live and Let Die over Silly Love Songs, which doesn’t hit the mark for me - it’s just sort of cheese - even if that was the point in response to his critics. Cook of the House I think is much better and being lighter fare. Time to Hide seemed to bring things back up a bit to a stronger finish. This one doesn’t reach the heights of the prior two albums, but it serves as a solid placeholder.

PostPosted: Thu June 02, 2022 7:20 pm 
Stone's Bitch

liebzz YOU ARE GOING TOO FAST

PostPosted: Thu June 02, 2022 7:21 pm 
Stone's Bitch

like at the speed of sound or a band on the run or a JET or down a red rose speedway or

PostPosted: Thu June 02, 2022 8:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

liebzz wrote:
Wings - Band on the Run

What a difference an album makes…this is really the first Wings album thus far that feels essential. Band on the Run is a classic and has that sort of immediate twist and turn in its composition that I think is a feature of McCartney’s best work post Beatles. Jet is really great and has a sort of hard charging chorus that stays with you - as does the chorus in Mrs. Vanderbilt. Let Me Roll It is pretty killer. The trio of Picasso’s Last Words, Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five, and Helen Wheels is a great stretch. This is the best Wings album so far by a pretty wide margin.

I agree with all of this excerpt giving any praise at all to Jet which is an objectively terribly song

PostPosted: Thu June 02, 2022 8:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Band on the Run is literally the only Wings album anyone needs.

PostPosted: Thu June 02, 2022 9:39 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Yeah, I am blowing through this fast because there’s all that solo material coming up.

I like Jet - it’s a rare rough track from Paul.

Also currently on Wings Over America for those keeping track. This I am really enjoying (I know there are overdubs and all like any 70s live album) - but the band is quite good.

Also the slow down comes tomorrow when I am going to listen to I think 3 new albums non-McCartney and I usually don’t get to much on the weekends (the new albums are from Fantastic Negrito, Lettuce, and Michael Franti).

PostPosted: Thu June 02, 2022 10:45 pm 
See you in another life, brother

I saw McCartney over the weekend in Orlando, had a great time. I don't want to say that I was surprised how good it was, but he put on a really fun show and it ended up so much better than just checking something off my bucket list.

PostPosted: Thu June 02, 2022 10:52 pm 
Rank This Poster

epilogue wrote:
liebzz wrote:
Wings - Band on the Run

I agree with all of this excerpt giving any praise at all to Jet which is an objectively terribly song

but what if Paul Rust is playing it

PostPosted: Fri June 03, 2022 1:49 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

4/5 wrote:
I saw McCartney over the weekend in Orlando, had a great time. I don't want to say that I was surprised how good it was, but he put on a really fun show and it ended up so much better than just checking something off my bucket list.

Yeah this is sort of the point since I am seeing him in New Jersey on the 16th.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 64  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands