The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: And We Are All Together / The Beatles Thread
PostPosted: Wed December 08, 2021 10:35 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I would definitely love it if they had this kind of footage for earlier sessions. In this session it seems like George is the only one willing to challenge Paul. John just sits there next to Yoko. I can't imagine John being like that through the whole career of the band, though.

To me, nine hours of Let it Be footage is interesting in the same way that nine hours of Vitalogy (or maybe No Code) studio footage would be: it doesn’t capture the band as they generally were, but rather how they were in a moment of crisis…how they were during a period of exceptional conflict and deviation from their norm.

George has finally started becoming a songwriter (versus someone who occasionally writes songs), only to find there’s no room for that. John is doped up and on an ego trip that opens him up to being taken in by shysters who flatter him (Magic Alex, Allen Klein). He now only has bouts of willingness to collaborate…like it’s a habit that he’s almost gotten rid of. Brian Epstein is dead and George Martin is reduced to a hanger-on. Paul is anxiety-ridden about the chaos that the resulting “schoolmaster” vacuum creates (watching him constantly lick his beard or pick at his teeth whenever emotions get hot in the documentary is something). He just can’t not try and control it all, no matter how often that backfires on him. Most of his songs from the era (Get Back, Two of Us, Long and Winding Road, Let it Be) read like open pleas for the band, and John in particular, to set aside their differences and be Beatles again before it’s too late.

Then, when this album is done, they make their Yield and break up.

The Let it Be footage is a fascinating glimpse of a band making music while in crisis. But it is in no way a look at the band’s typical dynamics or processes, and I agree…it would be amazing to have similar footage of an album like Pepper.

PostPosted: Wed December 08, 2021 10:41 pm 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I would definitely love it if they had this kind of footage for earlier sessions. In this session it seems like George is the only one willing to challenge Paul. John just sits there next to Yoko. I can't imagine John being like that through the whole career of the band, though.

To me, nine hours of Let it Be footage is interesting in the same way that nine hours of Vitalogy (or maybe No Code) studio footage would be: it doesn’t capture the band as they generally were, but rather how they were in a moment of crisis…how they were during a period of exceptional conflict and deviation from their norm.

George has finally started becoming a songwriter (versus someone who occasionally writes songs), only to find there’s no room for that. John is doped up and on an ego trip that opens him up to being taken in by shysters who flatter him (Magic Alex, Allen Klein). He now only has bouts of willingness to collaborate…like it’s a habit that he’s almost gotten rid of. Brian Epstein is dead and George Martin is reduced to a hanger-on. Paul is anxiety-ridden about the chaos that the resulting “schoolmaster” vacuum creates (watching him constantly lick his beard or pick at his teeth whenever emotions get hot in the documentary is something). He just can’t not try and control it all, no matter how often that backfires on him. Most of his songs from the era (Get Back, Two of Us, Long and Winding Road, Let it Be) read like open pleas for the band, and John in particular, to set aside their differences and be Beatles again before it’s too late.

The Let it Be footage is a fascinating glimpse of a band making music while in crisis. But it is in no way a look at the band’s typical dynamics or processes, and I agree…it would be amazing to have similar footage of an album like Pepper.

Wait. Which one is their Yield?

Seems to me Abbey Road and Let it Be were basically written at the same time no?

PostPosted: Wed December 08, 2021 10:45 pm 
The Master

I suppose Let It Be then duh.

PostPosted: Wed December 08, 2021 10:46 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Seems to me Abbey Road and Let it Be were basically written at the same time no?

You mean like how Brain of J was a Vitalogy song?

PostPosted: Wed December 08, 2021 10:47 pm 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
Strat wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Ive only seen part one but i am a little confused and by no means a beatles historian. Seems like many of the songs for abbey road and let it be are coming from this same session.

PostPosted: Wed December 08, 2021 10:49 pm 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
Strat wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

*no code

PostPosted: Wed December 08, 2021 10:55 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Strat wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Ive only seen part one but i am a little confused and by no means a beatles historian. Seems like many of the songs for abbey road and let it be are coming from this same session.

The writing, sure. But that's not the comparison I'm making.

Let it Be was made while the band was in a state of turmoil, not unlike No Code. Then, the band agreed to put their differences aside and make one last proper Beatles record. Everyone took a step backwards, they let their producer reassert himself, and there was a noticeable return to their in-studio creativity while they made Abbey Road...a record that feels calmer, kinder, and more lush than its immediate predecessors.

PostPosted: Wed December 08, 2021 10:57 pm 
The Master

Side/related note: I dont think anyone in Pearl Jam is as interesting personally or artistically as anyone in the beatles (not counting Ringo) so im not sure it would be as much to enjoy other than pure fandom.

PostPosted: Wed December 08, 2021 10:58 pm 
The Master

Ed: Uh its like a wave
Mike: is this where i shred
Jeff: Fuck you guys
Jack: its all about the time were having playing the song and what not
stone: yawwwwwwwwwwwn

BoB: *INSERT CGI HERE*

PostPosted: Wed December 08, 2021 11:34 pm 
AnalLog

McParadigm wrote:
Strat wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Strat wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

The writing, sure. But that's not the comparison I'm making.

Let it Be was made while the band was in a state of turmoil, not unlike No Code. Then, the band agreed to put their differences aside and make one last proper Beatles record. Everyone took a step backwards, they let their producer reassert himself, and there was a noticeable return to their in-studio creativity while they made Abbey Road...a record that feels calmer, kinder, and more lush than its immediate predecessors.

I mostly agree but i dont think that the Abbey Road sessions were void of any drama....didn't Lennon hate the medley which is basically 1/3 of the album?

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 12:35 am 
The Master

Do we know if film exists of other recording sessions? According to Jackson, the GB footage wasn’t lost or hidden away; rather, the remaining members were suppressing it until they felt comfortable enough with themselves/their legacies to let it be released as an important historical document.

Perhaps if footage of other sessions does exist, they feel it isn’t as compelling and will never let it see the light of day..

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 2:59 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

spike wrote:
Do we know if film exists of other recording sessions? According to Jackson, the GB footage wasn’t lost or hidden away; rather, the remaining members were suppressing it until they felt comfortable enough with themselves/their legacies to let it be released as an important historical document.

Perhaps if footage of other sessions does exist, they feel it isn’t as compelling and will never let it see the light of day..

didn't someone say there's Abbey Road footage as well? and, that there's plans to eventually release that?

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 3:14 pm 
Major Dude

What model of bass is that John and George pass back and forth? I never really knew that either of them played bass on any of that stuff. Seems like Jack Bruce may have used that same model.

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 4:00 pm 
Rank This Poster

wease wrote:
What model of bass is that John and George pass back and forth? I never really knew that either of them played bass on any of that stuff. Seems like Jack Bruce may have used that same model.

I thought it was just a guitar with a lot of low end that they used for "bass". Like a Jazzmaster or Jaguar type thing. I could be wrong though. I was really high.

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 4:03 pm 
Future Drummer

Farmer John wrote:
wease wrote:

I thought it was just a guitar with a lot of low end that they used for "bass". Like a Jazzmaster or Jaguar type thing. I could be wrong though. I was really high.

Not entirely sure as there is no further citation but Wikipedia has Lennon playing a Fender Bass VI on Dig It and The Long and Winding Road.

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 4:16 pm 
AnalLog

The clothes in this doc inspired me to dress my ass up at work today. I think I'm a Paul, fashion-wise. (And a Ringo in the sheets.)

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 4:17 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

wease wrote:

do yourself a favor and never focus specifically on the bass in the long and winding road. to say that john was bad is an understatement.

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 5:33 pm 
Major Dude

oasisfan35 wrote:
Farmer John wrote:
wease wrote:

Not entirely sure as there is no further citation but Wikipedia has Lennon playing a Fender Bass VI on Dig It and The Long and Winding Road.

That’s the one. And looks like I was right about Jack Bruce, too.

PostPosted: Thu December 09, 2021 10:01 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

You guys beat me to it, yes, it's a Fender Bass VI - a quirky six-string short-scale bass, also used liberally by The Cure.

PostPosted: Fri December 10, 2021 12:10 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

starting episode 2 tonight

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 64  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands