The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 132  Next
 Post subject: Re: The everyone LOVES radiohead thread!
PostPosted: Wed December 30, 2020 7:20 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I listened to King of Limbs today but I think I need another listen before I can process any thoughts about it so look out for hopefully tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed December 30, 2020 8:04 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

liebzz wrote:
I listened to King of Limbs today but I think I need another listen before I can process any thoughts about it so look out for hopefully tomorrow.

Listen with headphones

PostPosted: Wed December 30, 2020 9:53 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

liebzz wrote:

yeah, i been ¨processing¨ that album for years and the result is the same: boring.

PostPosted: Wed December 30, 2020 9:55 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

The live Basement versions of those songs are better. I think they just missed on the production of that album.

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 2:18 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

The King of Limbs

This is an album that’s very difficult to put into words, hence the need for an extra day and another listen. It doesn’t really have much in the way of traditional hooks or a specific song to bring you in and hold you there. It also doesn’t feel like say a Dark Side of the Moon where you need the whole album or it largely makes no sense. It sort of just exists. Normally, when something like that happens it would be natural to toss the album off, to take the position it doesn’t go anywhere and to move on. Yet that’s not the case here. The album is fueled by good songs that sound good, not for their hooks but for the sounds they explore. The first half of the album is really good, with Bloom, Morning Mr. Magpie, and Little By Little so equally good that none of the three stick out. On the second half, the last two - Give Up the Ghost and Separator are great in their own ways but close out the album really strong. This won’t make the top of my list but it is a strong addition to their catalogue.

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 3:12 pm 
AnalLog

Please remaster & release The Bends & Kid A/Amnesiac B-Sides on vinyl. Com Lag too while you’re at it.

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 4:55 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

A Moon Shaped Pool

This is another album that sort of defies a full written discussion. Sound scapes are how I often described Radiohead’s music as I went through this journey and never was that more apparent than here. And there are some really beautiful arrangements here. I really enjoyed the sonic territory covered in Desert Island Disk, Ful Stop, Glass Eyes, and Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief, while The Numbers and Identikit seemed like fully realized songs as a bit of a good outlayer to most of the album. Other than those last two, and the next two I will mention, the vocals sort of seemed besides the point and the focus on musical arrangements that felt a bit more organic than electronic - perhaps at least in terms of my expectations. The real highlights for me on this album though are the bookends - Burn the Witch (awesome), and True Love Waits, which I enjoyed on the live release as well though this version seems a bit more filled in with an orchestral like arrangement comparatively. It’s still quite beautiful. This was quite an interesting listen though admittedly not high on the leader board - due in part to the incredible quality they’ve maintained over the past 25 years.

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 5:24 pm 
The Master

Disagree with your take on the vocals, liebzz. Prior to making that record, Thom had just separated from his wife, with whom he’d been since college. She was diagnosed with cancer right after they split, and died shortly after. The lyrics to that album are brutal once you know that, I think.

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 5:39 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

tragabigzanda wrote:
Disagree with your take on the vocals, liebzz. Prior to making that record, Thom had just separated from his wife, with whom he’d been since college. She was diagnosed with cancer right after they split, and died shortly after. The lyrics to that album are brutal once you know that, I think.

Perhaps - I wasn’t commenting that the lyrics were bad, but that hearing the album in full they don’t stick out, the compositions to, at least for me. The experience could be different if this were something I was looking for, but I took this is in without any context.

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 5:46 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Yeah, trag's right that once you know this little secret, the vocals can be very powerful. leibzz is right that they don't stick out. There are many layers to this album that unfold with time.

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 5:53 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

liebzz wrote:
Perhaps - I wasn’t commenting that the lyrics were bad, but that hearing the album in full they don’t stick out, the compositions to, at least for me. The experience could be different if this were something I was looking for, but I took this is in without any context.

More importantly, should you need context? Should context matter for the consumer?

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 6:16 pm 
The Master

lol of course context doesn't have to matter, but it can certainly illuminate a work

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 8:13 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

OKNOTOK

To finish out the year and my final journey for 2020, we are going with the second disc on the OK Computer reissue from a few years ago. There’s not a noticeable drop at in in quality from the album to these new added tracks. I Promise, Man of War, Lift, Lull, Polyethylene, and Pearly* all could hold up as some of their best work and would have fit perfectly on the main album. In fact, just about all of it fits- they could have (and I guess now do) have a double album at least sitting here with basically no filler. The sort of exact groove they fit into here is really stunning.

This was a really solid journey to take. At every point I was intrigued, surprised, and it put the material I was familiar with into better perspective. I can undoubtedly say I found a great album I never previously gave a proper chance (In Rainbows) and certainly further appreciated an album I already thought of as great and saw it elevate itself further for me (OK Computer). Great band.

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 8:16 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

never really got into that release. Nor the second In Rainbows album.

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 8:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Man of War is probably my favorite Radiohead song.

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 8:51 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

epilogue wrote:

It's a good one.

PostPosted: Fri January 01, 2021 12:17 pm 
Future Drummer

epilogue wrote:

The last time they played it live, it was spur-of-the-moment/by request, and it's excellent version!

Makes me wonder if they were working on it for "Kid A/Hail To The Thief", or if there are other recordings.

PostPosted: Fri January 01, 2021 5:25 pm 
AnalLog

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
epilogue wrote:

The last time they played it live, it was spur-of-the-moment/by request, and it's excellent version!

Makes me wonder if they were working on it for "Kid A/Hail To The Thief", or if there are other recordings.

The song dates back to at least the OK Computer tour. Weird footage of Thom messing around with it in Meeting People is Easy.

Band is so good that the songs they don't include on the albums proper still blow their contemporaries out of the water.

PostPosted: Fri January 01, 2021 7:38 pm 
Future Drummer

swan wrote:
Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
epilogue wrote:

The song dates back to at least the OK Computer tour. Weird footage of Thom messing around with it in Meeting People is Easy.

Band is so good that the songs they don't include on the albums proper still blow their contemporaries out of the water.

It was written for "The Bends" and first played live in New York City in October 1995.

It was recorded at least 3 times and the released version on OKNOTOK is believed to be the 2nd version recorded - from the final set of "Bends" b-side sessions in April 1996 which also overlaps with the start of "OK Computer".

But for all intents and purposes it is a "Bends" era song.

PostPosted: Sat January 09, 2021 6:41 pm 
AnalLog

For the last couple of months I slowly bought all their records on vinyl. Ive been spinning them all for the last 2 weeks. It made me appreciate them all over again.
Allthought I didnt really impacted my ranking.

01- Ok Computer
02- In Rainbows
03- Amnesiac
04- Kid A
05- The Bends
06- Moon shaped Pool
07- Hail to the Thief
08- King of Limbs
09- Pablo Honey

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 132  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands