Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

The Official Led Zeppelin Thread

Wed January 02, 2013 1:40 am

i like them.

Re: The Official Led Zeppelin Thread

Wed January 02, 2013 1:47 am

I'm seldom in the mood for a Led Zeppelin album, but on the rare nights that I am, you can catch me spinning Houses of the Holy or III.

I've yet to hear In Through The Out Door or Presence, but I've been told that they are both "up my alley."

Wed January 02, 2013 1:48 am

i have to listen to the new live record...keep forgeting about it.

Hope Jimmy Page does something this year.

Wed January 02, 2013 1:50 am

washing machine II wrote:I've yet to hear In Through The Out Door or Presence, but I've been told that they are both "up my alley."

Just recently got into those pretty heavily. I'm all about Physical Graffiti.

Wed January 02, 2013 1:55 am

I like Physical Graffiti okay, but I'd like it even more if it had less physicality and more graffiti.

Wed January 02, 2013 4:06 am

I enjoyed the shit out of Celebration Day :)

Wed January 02, 2013 4:30 am

Sometimes I think I really love Led Zeppelin, so I listen to lots of Led Zeppelin for a while and then realise I don't like Led Zeppelin anywhere near as much as I thought I liked Led Zeppelin.

They're a pretty good band with a respectable handful of killer songs (and a gigantic amount of filler.) Also, the world's greatest rock drummer.

I should make a mix CD. D'yer Mak'er would make the cut.

Wed January 02, 2013 5:48 am

I like Zeppelin pretty much across the board. "For Your Life" is one song that always "does it" for me, you know?

Wed January 02, 2013 12:43 pm

I disagree with speacocks in hell on this. I can't think of a band I've ever liked that had LESS filler. Hats off to Harper? Some of the up beat stuff toward the end? I guess I can see that (although I actually really like a lot of the light hearted stuff toward the end).

Wed January 02, 2013 12:51 pm

I guess I'm more of a Sabbath kind of guy.

Wed January 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Birds in Hell wrote:I guess I'm more of a Sabbath kind of guy.

Hey, they're cool too. They have that one album thats good, and like 3 other good songs.

Wed January 02, 2013 3:39 pm

Is Celebration Day worth getting? I heard the Misty Mountain Top performance on the radio this morning.

I've been considering it. I'm only a moderate LZ fan. My appreciation comes and goes in waves.

Wed January 02, 2013 3:41 pm

I was huge into Led Zeppelin when I was in high school, said everyone ever.

Wed January 02, 2013 3:47 pm

EJ wrote:Is Celebration Day worth getting? I heard the Misty Mountain Top performance on the radio this morning.

I've been considering it. I'm only a moderate LZ fan. My appreciation comes and goes in waves.

It's good. Really what it shows you is that with age, that a band can do it right... by not doing it often.
Seeing that a couple weeks after the Who and Stones were so bad at the Sandy concert made me realize that I really respect that Zeppelin broke up 30 years ago, and have played a total of like 25 songs together since then.. and other than a reanimated John Lennon, I can't imagine a greater monetary opportunity than a zeppelin reunion, but they've managed to resist the temptation.

and after the mediocre live aid and Atlantic Anniversary partial sets, it was obvious for this full on concert that they took the time to practice and get the set as right as they could.

Wed January 02, 2013 3:49 pm

@SkitchP wrote:
EJ wrote:Is Celebration Day worth getting? I heard the Misty Mountain Top performance on the radio this morning.

It's good. Really what it shows you is that with age, that a band can do it right... by not doing it often.
Seeing that a couple weeks after the Who and Stones were so bad at the Sandy concert made me realize that I really respect that Zeppelin broke up 30 years ago, and have played a total of like 25 songs together since then.. and other than a reanimated John Lennon, I can't imagine a greater monetary opportunity than a zeppelin reunion, but they've managed to resist the temptation.

and after the mediocre live aid and Atlantic Anniversary partial sets, it was obvious for this full on concert that they took the time to practice and get the set as right as they could.

Good feedback, thanks. I'll probably pick it up. :thumbsup:

Wed January 02, 2013 3:56 pm

EJ wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:

I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I realize that i made it sound a little better than it is.. It's good, but it is by no means amazing. The solos are a little slower, the voice obviously is not as strong (which actually works a little better on some songs). for not playing a full set together in 30 years, it's impressive and worth a listen, but they're are moments that make you cringe.

Wed January 02, 2013 4:00 pm

@SkitchP wrote:
EJ wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:

I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I realize that i made it sound a little better than it is.. It's good, but it is by no means amazing. The solos are a little slower, the voice obviously is not as strong (which actually works a little better on some songs). for not playing a full set together in 30 years, it's impressive and worth a listen, but they're are moments that make you cringe.

Yeah, I don't expect to be amazed by it. I noticed Plant was a bit slower in his delivery just on that one song alone. But, the nostalgia factor coupled with a good performance is a good enough reason for me to check it out.

The Crunge is the only LZ song I find to be cringeworthy. Don't think they would've dusted that one off for this show.

Wed January 02, 2013 4:03 pm

EJ wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
EJ wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:

Yeah, I don't expect to be amazed by it. I noticed Plant was a bit slower in his delivery just on that one song alone. But, the nostalgia factor coupled with a good performance is a good enough reason for me to check it out.

The Crunge is the only LZ song I find to be cringeworthy. Don't think they would've dusted that one off for this show.

Nah, the set list was really good. (although the crunge is good for an intentionally awful song). Good mix of the "Must hear" songs, as well as a couple like For Your Life, and Ramble On that weren't played live during the zeppelin era, The In My Time Of Dying is incredible.

Wed January 02, 2013 4:09 pm

3 and presence are two of the most underrated cds, ive been listenin to them a ton lately

Wed January 02, 2013 5:59 pm

I was just on a Zeppelin kick over the last week...
im sure this has been mentioned here in the past, being a Pearl Jam board...
But I was sitting at work listening to Zeppelin...
and as Ten Years Gone is playing, I found myself whistling the outro whistle to PJ's Black

that being said, this band, is one big giant RIFF MACHINE!
Post a reply