Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: How The West Was Won And Where It Got Us: An REM Thread

Thu December 21, 2017 4:37 pm

I recommend Around The Sun and Collapse Into Now, even if you heard those already.

Thu December 21, 2017 4:39 pm

VinylGuy wrote:I recommend Around The Sun and Collapse Into Now, even if you heard those already.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have heard them. But I will absolutely revisit them. Collapse is one of my favorite REM records but I haven't given it a good listen in years.

Thu December 21, 2017 4:40 pm

Such an amazing end.

Thu December 21, 2017 4:41 pm

Around the Sun and Collapse into Now are my 2 least favorite REM albums but they still have some great stuff.

Thu December 21, 2017 4:43 pm

Around The Sun is a difficult one. Its unfocused and the overall mood of the album is sad...But it still have some of the most emotional songs from the band..Leaving New York and Make It All Okay are gems.

Thu December 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Given the emotional state I'm in after this morning's experience, I'm not sure I could handle Leaving New York.

Thu December 21, 2017 4:45 pm

I listened to it after maybe...8 years? or more. It was difficult. The lyrics are very personal to me and they seemed new. It was pretty amazing.

Thu December 21, 2017 6:46 pm

VinylGuy wrote:I listened to it after maybe...8 years? or more. It was difficult. The lyrics are very personal to me and they seemed new. It was pretty amazing.

This makes mee happy.

Thu December 21, 2017 7:03 pm

Let Me In always give me that gut-punch reaction. Only discovered earlier this week watching a doco that it was played on Kurt's guitar

Thu December 21, 2017 7:13 pm

Collapse Into Now is fantastic. I love Accelerate too.

Thu December 21, 2017 10:13 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:I was just listening to the Song Exploder Podcast episode about Try Not to Breathe. Holy shit. I know the song. I like the song. But that episode opened something very emotional inside me.

I was sitting in a dark theater listening on headphones and the song cut right through me. I had a full emotional breakdown listening to the song. I was just weeping in the dark. I couldn't control myself. It was a profound moment.

These lines:
"I will try not to breathe
This decision is mine
I have lived a full life
And these are the eyes that I want you to remember"

Like a razor, just opening me wide. It's a strange moment. To feel changed. To finally "get" something you've known for the bulk of your life, to see it in a blistering new light. To feel new. To be in a moment you can actively recognize as breakthrough or change.

thank you for sharing.

Thu December 21, 2017 10:39 pm

AndySlash wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:I was just listening to the Song Exploder Podcast episode about Try Not to Breathe. Holy shit. I know the song. I like the song. But that episode opened something very emotional inside me.

I was sitting in a dark theater listening on headphones and the song cut right through me. I had a full emotional breakdown listening to the song. I was just weeping in the dark. I couldn't control myself. It was a profound moment.

These lines:
"I will try not to breathe
This decision is mine
I have lived a full life
And these are the eyes that I want you to remember"

Like a razor, just opening me wide. It's a strange moment. To feel changed. To finally "get" something you've known for the bulk of your life, to see it in a blistering new light. To feel new. To be in a moment you can actively recognize as breakthrough or change.

thank you for sharing.

Yeah, man. It was profound. It's been a long time since I've felt something like that. It was so raw.

Thu December 21, 2017 11:12 pm

That happens to you like four times a day.

Thu December 21, 2017 11:12 pm

bart wrote:That happens to you like four times a day.

:?

Thu December 21, 2017 11:33 pm

Rangi Guy wrote:Let Me In always give me that gut-punch reaction. Only discovered earlier this week watching a doco that it was played on Kurt's guitar

I believe that Let Me In is one of the most impressive songs in their catalog. It's almost like R.E.M. going full Codeine for one track. The wall of sound achieved by the noisy guitars and Stipe's vocal performance make this probably the most dense-sounding song, which makes sense given the context of it.

I love it so much.

Tue January 02, 2018 6:19 am

The piano on Nightswimming is the same piano used in Layla, per Mike Mills.

Tue January 02, 2018 6:24 am

This was good

Tue January 02, 2018 5:43 pm

theplatypus wrote:

This was good

I figured you'd like that.

Tue January 02, 2018 5:48 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

This was good

It was pretty good.

Tue January 02, 2018 5:51 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

This was good

I didn't just "like" it. I was sitting in a dark room, browsing RM, and the post cut right through me. I had a full emotional breakdown reading the post. I was just weeping in the dark. I couldn't control myself. It was a profound moment.

That line:
"That happens to you like four times a day"

Like a razor, just opening me wide. It's a strange moment. To feel changed. To "get" something you've just read for the first time, to see it in a blistering new light. To feel new. To be in a moment you can actively recognize as breakthrough or change.
Post a reply