The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2066 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 104  Next
 Post subject: Re: How The West Was Won And Where It Got Us: An REM Thread
PostPosted: Fri October 20, 2017 5:21 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

swan wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
The Celebration Rock podcast did an episode recently about Automatic for the People and why R.E.M. seems to have faded from view as one of the quintessential alt rock bands of all time. Steven Hyden (the host) complains that he's heard them lumped in with acts like Billy Joel and Phil Collins and thinks that's absurd.

It's worth a listen, even if Hyden's being kind of a whiny, hipster, idiot (which he calls himself out on a bit) at the beginning. It's a good episode.

I thought it was one of the better eps of this podcast. Brian Koppelman had lots of really insightful & interesting things to say about the band.

I agree. Do you know what Koppelman's podcast is? He mentioned it in the segment. I'd love to give it a listen.

PostPosted: Fri October 20, 2017 6:18 pm 
AnalLog

durdencommatyler wrote:
swan wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
The Celebration Rock podcast did an episode recently about Automatic for the People and why R.E.M. seems to have faded from view as one of the quintessential alt rock bands of all time. Steven Hyden (the host) complains that he's heard them lumped in with acts like Billy Joel and Phil Collins and thinks that's absurd.

It's worth a listen, even if Hyden's being kind of a whiny, hipster, idiot (which he calls himself out on a bit) at the beginning. It's a good episode.

I thought it was one of the better eps of this podcast. Brian Koppelman had lots of really insightful & interesting things to say about the band.

I agree. Do you know what Koppelman's podcast is? He mentioned it in the segment. I'd love to give it a listen.

It's called "The Moment with Brian Koppelman" I believe it comes from Slate. Excited to hear the Peter Buck/Corin Tucker episode he teased.

PostPosted: Fri October 20, 2017 6:27 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

swan wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
swan wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

It's called "The Moment with Brian Koppelman" I believe it comes from Slate. Excited to hear the Peter Buck/Corin Tucker episode he teased.

Oh that's hilarious. A friend recommended that to me a few weeks ago and I've got a few episodes waiting for me. I didn't realize he was the host. Too funny.

PostPosted: Fri October 20, 2017 8:47 pm 
AnalLog

durdencommatyler wrote:

ugh, that dude was sort of insufferable when he did the Pearl Jam episodes.

PostPosted: Fri October 20, 2017 8:50 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
swan wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
swan wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Oh that's hilarious. A friend recommended that to me a few weeks ago and I've got a few episodes waiting for me. I didn't realize he was the host. Too funny.

Koppelman is a screenwriter and entrepreneur who somehow manages to mention his work on the screenplay for Rounders in every episode I've listened to.

PostPosted: Fri October 20, 2017 9:28 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
swan wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
swan wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Koppelman is a screenwriter and entrepreneur who somehow manages to mention his work on the screenplay for Rounders in every episode I've listened to.

:lol:

Oh boy. Well, he didn't mention it here. But that's probably because Steven Hyden did it for him.

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2017 8:55 am 
Poster of the Year

Interesting read on the new AFTP mix.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/11/ ... ce-stereo/

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 10:12 pm 
Broken Tamborine

they sound fanfuckingtastic at the 40 Watt Club on this AFP re-issue. what a band.

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 10:43 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I listened to Automatic again the other night. It holds up. It'll never mean to me what it means to others but it's clearly a top 3 record in R.E.M.'s canon (my personal #2).

PostPosted: Tue December 12, 2017 12:47 am 
jeeeesus relax already

This is great.

PostPosted: Tue December 12, 2017 6:55 am 
A Return To Form

Yep, just watched that today. Pretty neat little doc.

PostPosted: Tue December 12, 2017 11:00 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

That really was fantastic!

PostPosted: Wed December 13, 2017 2:35 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

It is.

And it was so nice to see these guys again...and John Paul Jones. His work is brilliant in this album.

PostPosted: Thu December 14, 2017 5:40 pm 
A Return To Form

Has anybody recieved the aftp vinyl reissue from REMHQ yet?

PostPosted: Thu December 14, 2017 5:54 pm 
AnalLog

Went to pick up the AFTP reissue vinyl at my trusty local indie store, and they were out of them. Claiming they only got very few copies in to begin with. I was surprised because it didn't seem like this would've been a limited pressing at all. Anyone else have trouble tracking one down?

PostPosted: Thu December 14, 2017 8:12 pm 
A Return To Form

swan wrote:
Went to pick up the AFTP reissue vinyl at my trusty local indie store, and they were out of them. Claiming they only got very few copies in to begin with. I was surprised because it didn't seem like this would've been a limited pressing at all. Anyone else have trouble tracking one down?

It was ordered for my Christmas present and hasn't been dispatched yet. I am starting to worry.

PostPosted: Thu December 14, 2017 11:51 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

VinylGuy wrote:
This is great.

Since this was posted I've found myself non-stop watching R.E.M. documentaries - God I miss these guys

PostPosted: Thu December 21, 2017 4:09 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I was just listening to the Song Exploder Podcast episode about Try Not to Breathe. Holy shit. I know the song. I like the song. But that episode opened something very emotional inside me.

I was sitting in a dark theater listening on headphones and the song cut right through me. I had a full emotional breakdown listening to the song. I was just weeping in the dark. I couldn't control myself. It was a profound moment.

These lines:
"I will try not to breathe
This decision is mine
I have lived a full life
And these are the eyes that I want you to remember"

Like a razor, just opening me wide. It's a strange moment. To feel changed. To finally "get" something you've known for the bulk of your life, to see it in a blistering new light. To feel new. To be in a moment you can actively recognize as breakthrough or change.

PostPosted: Thu December 21, 2017 4:23 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Nice.

Yeah, REM has a lot of song with that power to me...Leaving New York, Blue, Nightswimming, At My Most Beautiful...They all have personal stories attached.

PostPosted: Thu December 21, 2017 4:31 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
Nice.

Yeah, REM has a lot of song with that power to me...Leaving New York, Blue, Nightswimming, At My Most Beautiful...They all have personal stories attached.

I've yet to have an REM song hit me in quite that way. It was super unexpected. I think I'm moving into a new phase in my life. Maybe it's time to revisit REM. That song knocked the guts out of me this morning. I was crazy and awesome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2066 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 104  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands