The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2072 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 104  Next
 Post subject: Re: How The West Was Won And Where It Got Us: An REM Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 04, 2019 9:43 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Funny that Litt has also been panned in certain circles for pumping the vox on Albini's original mix of In Utero.*

*For the record -- and I LOVE Steve Albini -- I actually think Litt knocked that mix out of the park.

I'm not sure what we're talking about here. I will say that the OG mix of In Utero is great. But I think the vinyl version I have, which is the Albini mix is better.

It's a pretty famous story in Albini/Nirvana lore:

Kurt famously fought to get Albini to "produce" their record (Albini eschews the term, will only accept "Engineer"). Albini turned in a conventional Albini mix -- unhyped, very minimal, broad dynamic range. Kurt got a bunch of bad feedback from the suits who wants to hear singles, and he caved. Albini and Kurt battled for a couple days -- Albini basically saying "Please don't do this, please follow through on your commitment," but Kurt folded and let Geffen bring in Litt to pump up Albini's tracks. Hence the previously-bootlegged Albini mix that Joe got on vinyl a few years ago.

And the Litt mix is awesome. I love it, and NOW I see the Albini mix as a sort of instagram filter, an alternate version. But those versions will never become the de facto mixes, because they were released primarily as a vinyl oddity, and any film/tv production looking to source a Nirvana song will likely reach for Litt's original compressed, brighter mix. But I fear the opposite will happen with this REM stuff.

Oh interesting. Yeah, I personally like the Albini mix much more. When I listen to In Utero anymore, it's always on vinyl for that reason. But I never disliked the OG mix. If I didn't know about/have the Albini mix, I'd be fine with that. Honestly, the record is great as is. But I do really like Albini's take.

PostPosted: Wed September 04, 2019 9:53 pm 
Production Police

:worthy:

PostPosted: Wed September 04, 2019 9:53 pm 
Production Police

I mean...

PostPosted: Wed September 04, 2019 9:54 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I like Shellac.

PostPosted: Wed September 04, 2019 9:56 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

And I like The Jesus Lizard.

PostPosted: Wed September 04, 2019 9:57 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Me too!

But I'd be lying if I said was I super familiar with their stuff. I just know that I like what I've heard which is only individual songs, no albums.

PostPosted: Wed September 04, 2019 9:57 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
Me too!

But I'd be lying if I said was I super familiar with their stuff. I just know that I like what I've heard which is only individual songs, no albums.

Same.

PostPosted: Wed September 04, 2019 10:00 pm 
Production Police

Goat and Liar are both perfect album, but I tend towards the former for its faster pacing.

PostPosted: Wed September 04, 2019 10:01 pm 
Production Police

The snare drum on the first song on Goat is my favorite snare drum sound I've ever heard.

PostPosted: Wed September 04, 2019 10:03 pm 
Production Police

Actually no, Monkey Trick (starting at 12:25 above) has the best snare sound

PostPosted: Wed September 04, 2019 10:03 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:

:shock:

PostPosted: Wed September 04, 2019 10:08 pm 
Gone

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Funny that Litt has also been panned in certain circles for pumping the vox on Albini's original mix of In Utero.*

*For the record -- and I LOVE Steve Albini -- I actually think Litt knocked that mix out of the park.

I'm not sure what we're talking about here. I will say that the OG mix of In Utero is great. But I think the vinyl version I have, which is the Albini mix is better.

I also prefer the 2013 mix of In Utero

PostPosted: Wed September 04, 2019 10:09 pm 
Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

:shock:

right?

PostPosted: Wed September 04, 2019 10:18 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Kurt famously fought to get Albini to "produce" their record (Albini eschews the term, will only accept "Engineer"). Albini turned in a conventional Albini mix -- unhyped, very minimal, broad dynamic range. Kurt got a bunch of bad feedback from the suits who wants to hear singles, and he caved. Albini and Kurt battled for a couple days -- Albini basically saying "Please don't do this, please follow through on your commitment," but Kurt folded and let Geffen bring in Litt to pump up Albini's tracks. Hence the previously-bootlegged Albini mix that Joe got on vinyl a few years ago.

And the Litt mix is awesome. I love it, and NOW I see the Albini mix as a sort of instagram filter, an alternate version. But those versions will never become the de facto mixes, because they were released primarily as a vinyl oddity, and any film/tv production looking to source a Nirvana song will likely reach for Litt's original compressed, brighter mix. But I fear the opposite will happen with this REM stuff.

Oh interesting. Yeah, I personally like the Albini mix much more. When I listen to In Utero anymore, it's always on vinyl for that reason. But I never disliked the OG mix. If I didn't know about/have the Albini mix, I'd be fine with that. Honestly, the record is great as is. But I do really like Albini's take.

Just to clarify: the original release of In Utero is still Albini's mix of the album for the most part. Only Heart-Shaped Box and All Apologies were remixed by Scott Litt as Kurt wasn't happy with the original mixes.

There was a new mix made by Albini, Novoselic and Grohl for the reissue (and which was issued on vinyl as a separate release) but it was never intended as being a replacement for the original release - or intended to be understood as the band or Albini's preferred mix or anything like that. It's just a fun curio where certain elements are given more or less prominence than the original mix, e.g. different takes of vocals, solos, etc.

PostPosted: Wed September 04, 2019 10:25 pm 
Production Police

dammit Spenno's right. I gotta rethink this thing... Maybe bob Ludwig put more of the (moderate) squish and shine on it than I had originally given him credit for?

Also worth noting that our boy Adam Kaspar assisted Scott Litt on those mixes

PostPosted: Wed September 04, 2019 10:26 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Birds in Hell wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Just to clarify: the original release of In Utero is still Albini's mix of the album for the most part. Only Heart-Shaped Box and All Apologies were remixed by Scott Litt as Kurt wasn't happy with the original mixes.

There was a new mix made by Albini, Novoselic and Grohl for the reissue (and which was issued on vinyl as a separate release) but it was never intended as being a replacement for the original release - or intended to be understood as the band or Albini's preferred mix or anything like that. It's just a fun curio where certain elements are given more or less prominence than the original mix, e.g. different takes of vocals, solos, etc.

Fascinating.

The vinyl sounds different to me on almost every track. But that could honestly just be audio quality in that my turntable setup is better than any setup I'v had for CD.

PostPosted: Thu September 05, 2019 12:02 am 
jeeeesus relax already

verb_to_trust wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
the original mix definitely had some problems but it doesn't sound like this is any sort of worthwhile improvement

Is improving it really the point though? Just a different take. No big deal. Like an Instagram filter.

Great answer. Specially for this album...it doesnt need to be improved, but its a different take, the one the producers wants us to hear.

PostPosted: Thu September 05, 2019 12:06 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Any thoughts on these unreleased demos? I love REM but I know next to nothing about their vault. Always excited for new songs, but the idea of unpolished demos feels a little tedious at this point in my listening career.

"Revolution" rings a bell. I remember hearing that on a soundtrack or compilation at some point in the 90s.

Disc 2: Unreleased Demos
1. “Pete’s Hit”
2. “Uptempo Mo Distortion”
3. “Uptempo Ricky”
4. “Harlan County with Whistling”
5. “Lost Song”
6. “AM Boo”
7. “Mike’s Gtr”
8. “Sputnik 1 Remix”
9. “Black Sky 4-14”
10. “Revolution 4-21”
11. “Rocker with vocal”
12. “Time Is On Mike’s Side”
13. “1Experiment 4-28 no vocal”
14. “Highland Fling 4-29”
15. “Cranky 4-29”

PostPosted: Thu September 05, 2019 12:08 am 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, i was such a unreleased demos fan back in the day. These days i hardly listen to those anymore...last time i did it was with Soundgarden i guess.

PostPosted: Thu September 05, 2019 2:33 am 
Future Drummer

washing machine wrote:
Any thoughts on these unreleased demos? I love REM but I know next to nothing about their vault. Always excited for new songs, but the idea of unpolished demos feels a little tedious at this point in my listening career.

"Revolution" rings a bell. I remember hearing that on a soundtrack or compilation at some point in the 90s.

Disc 2: Unreleased Demos
1. “Pete’s Hit”
2. “Uptempo Mo Distortion”
3. “Uptempo Ricky”
4. “Harlan County with Whistling”
5. “Lost Song”
6. “AM Boo”
7. “Mike’s Gtr”
8. “Sputnik 1 Remix”
9. “Black Sky 4-14”
10. “Revolution 4-21”
11. “Rocker with vocal”
12. “Time Is On Mike’s Side”
13. “1Experiment 4-28 no vocal”
14. “Highland Fling 4-29”
15. “Cranky 4-29”

Wait, that isn't the tracklist for Pearl Jam's next album?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2072 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 104  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands