The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1005 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sonic Youth is fuckin amazing!
PostPosted: Tue January 18, 2022 8:07 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

In/Out/In - new SY album released 11 March 2022, compiling unreleased material dating between 2000 and 2010.

Quote:

01. Basement Contender
02. In & Out
03. Machine
04. Social Static
05. Out & In

"Basement Contender" - Recorded by Lee Ranaldo in Northampton, MA in 2008. Performed by Kim Gordon, Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo and Steve Shelley.

"In & Out" - Recorded at soundcheck in Pomona, CA with additional recording and mixing at Echo Canyon West in Hoboken, NJ by Aaron Mullan in 2010. Performed by Kim Gordon, Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo and Steve Shelley.

"Machine" - Recorded and mixed by Aaron Mullan in 2008. Performed by Kim Gordon, Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo and Steve Shelley.

"Social Static" - Recorded and mixed by Sonic Youth at Echo Canyon (NY) in 2000. Performed by Kim Gordon, Thurston Moore, Jim O'Rourke, Lee Ranaldo and Steve Shelley.

"Out & In" - Recorded and mixed by Aaron Mullan at Echo Canyon (NY) in 2000. Performed by Kim Gordon, Thurston Moore, Jim O'Rourke, Lee Ranaldo and Steve Shelley.

PostPosted: Tue January 18, 2022 8:08 pm 
Production Police

Oh damn

PostPosted: Tue January 18, 2022 10:07 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

niceeeee

two tracks with Jim!!!

Tasty

PostPosted: Wed January 19, 2022 3:41 am 
Production Police

Title track is streaming and it’s a solid addition to the catalog. Feels more like an A Thousand Leaves outtake than The Eternal.

PostPosted: Fri January 21, 2022 6:30 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Well color me ecstatic.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 8:03 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

tragabigzanda wrote:
Title track is streaming and it’s a solid addition to the catalog. Feels more like an A Thousand Leaves outtake than The Eternal.

I loved it. Kinda dying to hear the songs with Jim.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 8:04 pm 
Production Police

VinylGuy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I loved it. Kinda dying to hear the songs with Jim.

Same. I also like how much the title track feels like a rehearsal, with some sloppier-than-usual bits here and there.

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 8:05 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Man, this new release made me feel like in 1998 waiting for a new SY album to drop.

:cry:

PostPosted: Wed January 26, 2022 8:39 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Guys I haven't listened yet. I'm so excited to, but just haven't. The new stuff Kim did with j. mascis is fun though.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 2:14 am 
Rank This Poster

Almost turned on Earthling to see if I might like it more 2nd time around. Went with "Dirty" instead.

PostPosted: Sat February 12, 2022 2:47 am 
10Club Complaint Department

You made the right choice.

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 4:53 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Birds in Hell wrote:
In/Out/In - new SY album released 11 March 2022, compiling unreleased material dating between 2000 and 2010.

Quote:

01. Basement Contender
02. In & Out
03. Machine
04. Social Static
05. Out & In

"Basement Contender" - Recorded by Lee Ranaldo in Northampton, MA in 2008. Performed by Kim Gordon, Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo and Steve Shelley.

"In & Out" - Recorded at soundcheck in Pomona, CA with additional recording and mixing at Echo Canyon West in Hoboken, NJ by Aaron Mullan in 2010. Performed by Kim Gordon, Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo and Steve Shelley.

"Machine" - Recorded and mixed by Aaron Mullan in 2008. Performed by Kim Gordon, Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo and Steve Shelley.

"Social Static" - Recorded and mixed by Sonic Youth at Echo Canyon (NY) in 2000. Performed by Kim Gordon, Thurston Moore, Jim O'Rourke, Lee Ranaldo and Steve Shelley.

"Out & In" - Recorded and mixed by Aaron Mullan at Echo Canyon (NY) in 2000. Performed by Kim Gordon, Thurston Moore, Jim O'Rourke, Lee Ranaldo and Steve Shelley.

I've listened to this a few times over the weekend. It feels like collection for us hardcore fans. They've done these kinds of releases several times now (SYR Series, a lot of Destroyed Room, Spinhead Sessions...) and every time they do, I tell myself that this is the kind of SY we need more of. I don't know that I fully agree with that anymore, but I'm never going to turn down the opportunity to hear these types of sketches. Social Static is a standout for me, simply because I could live in that '99-'02 Jim O'Rourke era forever. It's the least digestible thing on this collection, but I continue to be amazed at how this band can weave chaos and noise into something coherent.

Basement Contender is very nice too. For all the VU comparisons bands like SY and other indie cohorts get, I've never really heard that much in SY's music that actually sounds like it could be a Velvets jam. This one does. The lo-fi recording helps with that, and the groove itself is just unmistakably influenced. It would be very cool to have a full collection of instrumentals from this session, if they exist.

I'm going to listen to this album a few more times this week and then I'm sure I'll revisit it and think it's great all over again months from now. Hope we see more stuff like this from these guys, but I don't think there's anything essential on here.

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 4:56 pm 
Production Police

thanks for the reminder, I forgot to listen to the rest of this

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 4:57 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Looking forward to your thoughts

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 6:40 pm 
tl;dr

washing machine wrote:
Destroyed Room, Spinhead Sessions

Quite possibly my two most played SY releases of late. Interest piqued.

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 7:13 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Listening right now. Loving this. Basement Contender is such a good addition to their catalogue.

And yes, anything with Jim is welcome here.

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 7:18 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Kevin Davis wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Destroyed Room, Spinhead Sessions

Quite possibly my two most played SY releases of late. Interest piqued.

I almost never play spinhead, despite owning it on vinyl. Reason being the turntable generally gets used when the whole family is hanging out on a Sunday and that's not really the best context for that album. Love Destroyed Room.

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 7:22 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, DR is a must.

PostPosted: Mon March 21, 2022 7:59 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

im listening to the amazing SY-Cypress Hill joint, I Love You Mary Jane

i love it so much

PostPosted: Fri April 08, 2022 5:03 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

washing machine wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Quote:

01. Basement Contender
02. In & Out
03. Machine
04. Social Static
05. Out & In

I've listened to this a few times over the weekend. It feels like collection for us hardcore fans. They've done these kinds of releases several times now (SYR Series, a lot of Destroyed Room, Spinhead Sessions...) and every time they do, I tell myself that this is the kind of SY we need more of. I don't know that I fully agree with that anymore, but I'm never going to turn down the opportunity to hear these types of sketches. Social Static is a standout for me, simply because I could live in that '99-'02 Jim O'Rourke era forever. It's the least digestible thing on this collection, but I continue to be amazed at how this band can weave chaos and noise into something coherent.

Basement Contender is very nice too. For all the VU comparisons bands like SY and other indie cohorts get, I've never really heard that much in SY's music that actually sounds like it could be a Velvets jam. This one does. The lo-fi recording helps with that, and the groove itself is just unmistakably influenced. It would be very cool to have a full collection of instrumentals from this session, if they exist.

I'm going to listen to this album a few more times this week and then I'm sure I'll revisit it and think it's great all over again months from now. Hope we see more stuff like this from these guys, but I don't think there's anything essential on here.

Any more takers on this yet?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1005 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands