The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 757 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Sonic Youth is fuckin amazing!
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:24 am 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 26, 2014 12:08 am
Posts: 6485
Location: the afterlife...
VinylGuy wrote:
Iholdthepain wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Ive just realize that this october will mark 20 years since i saw the band for the first time.

fuck.

25 years for me this summer... Lolla '95!

Got a cool Sonic Nurse mask, btw.


Was it a cool show? Mine was incredible. A massive rain just poured when they played and it was incredible to see. Came home so happy.

I remember they played Teenage Riot and The Diamond Sea, which I was pretty stoked about. The lineup was awesome, with Beck, Cypress Hill, Hole, The Jesus Lizard and Pavement. I was 18 at the time, and this lineup was so much of what I loved back then! Details are a bit shady from that event. :mrgreen:

_________________
Dev wrote:
Thip is no the best poster ever like you say.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sonic Youth is fuckin amazing!
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:25 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 22269
Iholdthepain wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Iholdthepain wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Ive just realize that this october will mark 20 years since i saw the band for the first time.

fuck.

25 years for me this summer... Lolla '95!

Got a cool Sonic Nurse mask, btw.


Was it a cool show? Mine was incredible. A massive rain just poured when they played and it was incredible to see. Came home so happy.

I remember they played Teenage Riot and The Diamond Sea, which I was pretty stoked about. The lineup was awesome, with Beck, Cypress Hill, Hole, The Jesus Lizard and Pavement. I was 18 at the time, and this lineup was so much of what I loved back then! Details are a bit shady from that event. :mrgreen:


yeah, i was going to ask if they played TDS, is that the night of the footage of the video?

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sonic Youth is fuckin amazing!
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 26, 2014 12:08 am
Posts: 6485
Location: the afterlife...
VinylGuy wrote:
Iholdthepain wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Iholdthepain wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Ive just realize that this october will mark 20 years since i saw the band for the first time.

fuck.

25 years for me this summer... Lolla '95!

Got a cool Sonic Nurse mask, btw.


Was it a cool show? Mine was incredible. A massive rain just poured when they played and it was incredible to see. Came home so happy.

I remember they played Teenage Riot and The Diamond Sea, which I was pretty stoked about. The lineup was awesome, with Beck, Cypress Hill, Hole, The Jesus Lizard and Pavement. I was 18 at the time, and this lineup was so much of what I loved back then! Details are a bit shady from that event. :mrgreen:


yeah, i was going to ask if they played TDS, is that the night of the footage of the video?



Cool video! There's no real evidence of footage from Starplex in Dallas, where I saw them, but here's a link to the lineup and setlist: https://www.concertarchives.org/concerts/lollapalooza-1995--4

Only other time I saw them was in '09... on my birthday: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/sonic-youth/2009/house-of-blues-dallas-tx-5bd65bcc.html

_________________
Dev wrote:
Thip is no the best poster ever like you say.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sonic Youth is fuckin amazing!
PostPosted: Mon June 01, 2020 10:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 22269
Im super lost into Pink Steam right now. Its fucking awesome.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sonic Youth is fuckin amazing!
PostPosted: Tue June 02, 2020 11:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 22269
How do you guys feel about A Thousand Leaves? For some reason its one of those SY albums i keep forgetting all the time. Even when it came out.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sonic Youth is fuckin amazing!
PostPosted: Sun June 21, 2020 11:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 22269
There is a new song from Thurston. New album coming soon....i havent listened to anything he did since the fucking amazing The Best Day.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sonic Youth is fuckin amazing!
PostPosted: Mon June 22, 2020 10:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 16533
Location: Space City
Rock & Roll Consciousness was good.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sonic Youth is fuckin amazing!
PostPosted: Fri July 10, 2020 7:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:52 pm
Posts: 6765
been doing a slight revisit of these guys. per my music app, i haven't listened to some of these songs in like 6 years. wow. rather ripped was pretty fun. i was initially harsh on it bc it followed up sonic nurse and nurse is a masterpiece. rr is good though. none of the highs get to nurse territory, but it's a consistent album with lots of 3 and 4 star songs (5 star scale).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sonic Youth is fuckin amazing!
PostPosted: Fri July 10, 2020 7:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 37748
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
darth_vedder wrote:
been doing a slight revisit of these guys. per my music app, i haven't listened to some of these songs in like 6 years. wow. rather ripped was pretty fun. i was initially harsh on it bc it followed up sonic nurse and nurse is a masterpiece. rr is good though. none of the highs get to nurse territory, but it's a consistent album with lots of 3 and 4 star songs (5 star scale).

love Rather Ripped! I think these ones are amongst the best they've ever done:

Incinerate
Do You Believe In Rapture?
What A Waste
Rats
Turquoise Boy (!!!)

But really, there's not a bad song in the bunch.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sonic Youth is fuckin amazing!
PostPosted: Fri July 10, 2020 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:52 pm
Posts: 6765
tragabigzanda wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
been doing a slight revisit of these guys. per my music app, i haven't listened to some of these songs in like 6 years. wow. rather ripped was pretty fun. i was initially harsh on it bc it followed up sonic nurse and nurse is a masterpiece. rr is good though. none of the highs get to nurse territory, but it's a consistent album with lots of 3 and 4 star songs (5 star scale).

love Rather Ripped! I think these ones are amongst the best they've ever done:

Incinerate
Do You Believe In Rapture?
What A Waste
Rats
Turquoise Boy (!!!)

But really, there's not a bad song in the bunch.


yep, agree, those songs are really good. i'd maybe through jams run free in there too. kim is pretty good on this album.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sonic Youth is fuckin amazing!
PostPosted: Fri July 10, 2020 8:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 37748
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
I debated adding that one! It’s just a notch lower for me I think.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sonic Youth is fuckin amazing!
PostPosted: Fri July 24, 2020 11:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 22269
Full Basement Sessions on their you tube.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sonic Youth is fuckin amazing!
PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 12:38 am 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 226
Location: OREGON
I found a playlist of a ton of their instrumentals the other day, and it's been pretty much all I've been listening too since.

Such beauty amid all the chaos. It's been very calming for me.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sonic Youth is fuckin amazing!
PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 12:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 37748
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
ilpazzo wrote:
I found a playlist of a ton of their instrumentals the other day, and it's been pretty much all I've been listening too since.

Such beauty amid all the chaos. It's been very calming for me.

:bammer: Fire Engine Dream is my favorite instrumental. But what do we think are some other highlights? SYR is fair game.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sonic Youth is fuckin amazing!
PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 1:01 am 
Offline
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 7150
tragabigzanda wrote:
ilpazzo wrote:
I found a playlist of a ton of their instrumentals the other day, and it's been pretty much all I've been listening too since.

Such beauty amid all the chaos. It's been very calming for me.

:bammer: Fire Engine Dream is my favorite instrumental. But what do we think are some other highlights? SYR is fair game.


I'm not very familiar with SY beyond the regular albums but I really love the Spinhead Sessions album, it's one of my go-to chill-out/decompress albums.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sonic Youth is fuckin amazing!
PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 2:07 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 37748
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
Thanks for the reminder to listen to that! I like MIUSA a lot, but didn’t really dive into this behind a cursory glimpse when it was released


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Sonic Youth is fuckin amazing!
PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 3:49 am 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 226
Location: OREGON
Of the instrumentals I've been digging recently:

Queen Anne Chair
Beautiful Plateau
Macbeth

and yes... Fire Engine Dream. :heartbeat:


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 757 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dad and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Fri August 14, 2020 6:28 pm