The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: 50 ft Queenie: The long overdue PJ Harvey thread
PostPosted: Tue July 11, 2023 4:56 pm 
Production Police

epilogue wrote:
Her first five records are legit masterpieces and unfuckwithable. I'm personally particularly fond of albums 3-5 (To Bring You My Love, Is This Desire?, and Stories From the City, Stories from the Sea). Each of them is different and each of them is exactly what I want on any given day. Dry and Rid of Me are also amazing, of course. And I think most fans prefer them. I don't care which of those first five one prefers. All are brilliant.

whoa whoa whoa... No love for Let England Shake?

PostPosted: Tue July 11, 2023 5:11 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Her first five records are legit masterpieces and unfuckwithable. I'm personally particularly fond of albums 3-5 (To Bring You My Love, Is This Desire?, and Stories From the City, Stories from the Sea). Each of them is different and each of them is exactly what I want on any given day. Dry and Rid of Me are also amazing, of course. And I think most fans prefer them. I don't care which of those first five one prefers. All are brilliant.

Let's not get it twisted. I fucking ADORE Let England Shake! I was just talking about the first five. Especially in context of where to start or getting to know her work. psychobain said he'd already heard LES.

PostPosted: Tue July 11, 2023 5:15 pm 
Production Police

epilogue wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
epilogue wrote:

Let's not get it twisted. I fucking ADORE Let England Shake! I was just talking about the first five. Especially in context of where to start or getting to know her work. psychobain said he'd already heard LES.

phew

PostPosted: Tue July 11, 2023 5:17 pm 
Production Police

I tend to recommend Uh Huh Her as the best starting point because it kind of touches on every album that came prior. I also really love the "stripped down rock song / ambient/folk mood piece" format that she maintains through the record.

Last edited by tragabigzanda on Tue July 11, 2023 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue July 11, 2023 5:19 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I'll be totally honest here... I'm not any kind of PJH expert. One should not really take my word for anything I say about her work. I have not, for example, heard all of her records. Uh Huh Her is not one I know.

PostPosted: Tue July 11, 2023 7:19 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

White Chalk was the one where she lost me. I loved everything from Dry till Uh Huh Her but that album was the first one I didn't like. It took me years to get interested about Let England Shake but I finally gave it a spin and I really like it. Gave another chance to White Chalk not too long ago but still not a fan of that one.

If somebody asked me I'd probably recommend to start from Stories or To Bring You My Love/Rid of Me. Uh Huh Her is a good one too, but the lo-fi production might turn off some listeners. I haven't listened the new one yet but I really liked the two singles.

PostPosted: Tue July 11, 2023 7:26 pm 
Production Police

contamination wrote:
White Chalk was the one where she lost me. I loved everything from Dry till Uh Huh Her but that album was the first one I didn't like. It took me years to get interested about Let England Shake but I finally gave it a spin and I really like it. Gave another chance to White Chalk not too long ago but still not a fan of that one.

If somebody asked me I'd probably recommend to start from Stories or To Bring You My Love/Rid of Me. Uh Huh Her is a good one too, but the lo-fi production might turn off some listeners. I haven't listened the new one yet but I really liked the two singles.

One interesting thing about PJ is that she has continued to use a 4-track recorder to track he vocals even on the more conventionally produced albums. You can really hear the contrast on Stories.

PostPosted: Tue July 11, 2023 7:32 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:
contamination wrote:

One interesting thing about PJ is that she has continued to use a 4-track recorder to track he vocals even on the more conventionally produced albums. You can really hear the contrast on Stories.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

PostPosted: Tue July 11, 2023 7:42 pm 
Production Police

contamination wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
contamination wrote:

Interesting, I didn't know that.

I think that Let England Shake might be an exception.

PostPosted: Tue July 11, 2023 9:16 pm 
Production Police

"I Inside the Old Year Dying" emerging as a new album highlight for me. I can hear the Neil Young influence that review mentioned. Feels like Harvey's own ditch trilogy torch song.

PostPosted: Tue October 24, 2023 9:58 pm 
Production Police

One-off NYC show 11/7. Poetry, Q&A, songs from the new album. Lucky dogs.

PostPosted: Fri February 23, 2024 2:56 pm 
Production Police

Sounds like US tour dates are coming on Monday
:bammer:

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2024 9:20 pm 

Yeah, the new PJ is awesome:

PostPosted: Mon February 26, 2024 3:43 pm 
Production Police

Summer/fall US dates announced. Mailing list pre-sale tomorrow AM. I’ll try for one of these, not sure which. Anyone else going for it?

Edit: Gonna try for one of the SF shows if anyone winds up there too.

PostPosted: Tue February 27, 2024 2:56 pm 
Production Police

Was able to get my ideal seats for a show in San Francisco. The Masonic looks to be a lovely venue. Can not wait. :bammer:

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 12:23 am 
A Return To Form

contamination wrote:
Yeah, the new PJ is awesome:

Finally got around to watching the second concert here.

What a great way to experience the new album.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands