The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post subject: The "good" Tool clones
PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2023 12:59 pm 
AnalLog

It's undebatable at this point that the band Tool has left a huge footprint on the musical landscape of the world. Their influences go far and wide and yet because of a very unique approach to composing music and unmatched performance skills from each member of the band, it is extremely difficult to mimic or emulate their style and sound. Many have tried and failed miserably, evoking nothing but cringe in terms of response from the audiences.

However I came across a few bands that in my opinion are worthy of checking out and have made me want to follow them further and expect good things from them in the future. This collection of bands shares one common characteristic of being the "good Tool impersonators" while retaining their own selves and identity, at least in my eyes.

Band name: Kolm
Album: Umbra (2018)

Despite a quite poor production quality of their debut (and the only album to date as far as I know), I would place them at the top of the list of the best "good" Tool clones. Give them a listen. To say that I was surprised would to be put it very mildly. The quality of songwriting, the boldness of musical decisions, the bravery of sudden turns and plot twists midsong - it's the exact kind of audial spanking that I love me so, so much. In short I would describe Umbra as "very mature music making" which is a total shock considering it's their virgin work. I wonder why there isn't anything new out by them. Or maybe there is, only I don't know about it.

Band name: Atonian
EP: Ravenous (2022)

It's a one-man band (from what I understood) run by someone called Cameron Winters whose earlier songs were just him fooling around re-making old Tool songs into something they weren't before. Ravenous is his first 'independent' single and it is a GOOD fucking song. Number two in my list of the good Tool clones.

Band name: Wheel
Album: Resident Human (2022)

This is their 2nd album and their first attempt at writing good music (instead of whatever passed for music in their debut album which is complete garbage), and a successful attempt at that. There are a couple of throw away tracks but the rest is quite strong, enjoyable material that I come back to pretty often. My number 3 spot among the good Tool clones.

Band name: Lucid Planet
Albums: Lucid Planet (2015) and II (2020)

Very solid overall, but they are at the bottom of my list because of too much fluff interspersed among solid quality material. It's just unforgivable to write a song that would (arguably) give 10 000 Days a run for its money and then have it followed by a piece of utter crap that makes you want to delete the whole thing from your library. But there are true gems and rhinestones in this steaming pile of cow dung that make it worth keeping them and keeping and eye out for the new stuff they might put out there.

That is all. Just thought I'd share.

Post subject: Re: The "good" Tool clones
PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2023 9:09 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I like A Perfect Circle and Chevelle

Check out Soen. I didn't like them too much though.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2023 8:27 pm 
Lost Cat

I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling this way. It's important to recognize that you're not alone, and reaching out for help is a brave step. High school can indeed be overwhelming, especially with the added pressure of ATAR. Remember, your well-being matters, and it's okay to prioritize your mental health. It might be helpful to have an open conversation with your mum about how you're feeling, expressing that while you appreciate her intentions, you need emotional support too. Additionally, consider talking to a school counselor or a mental health professional who can provide guidance. Your future is important, but so is your present well-being. Take care of yourself, and remember, there are people who care about you and want to help. If you're struggling with your workload, maybe consider seeking assistance from https://essaypro.com/essays-for-sale to alleviate some of the academic pressure.

Last edited by Attaractor on Sun December 10, 2023 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2023 8:39 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

the bot really hates Tool I guess.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri December 08, 2023 12:34 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

CROM laughs at ATAR.

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands