The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tom Waits
PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 4:54 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
The announcement also included info that there'd be an Orphans vinyl repress in 2018, which is great. I have all of those records, so the only one that really piqued my interest was Real Gone.

Yea, i need Orphans. I am glad that is happening mostly.

I didn't see the part about Orphans. I'm officially SUPER pumped now. I need Orphans in the worst way.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 5:11 pm 
The Master

Also, what a great photo:

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 5:45 pm 
tl;dr

It's cool if this makes these albums more readily available to the vinyl folks, but to my ears none of these albums need any work sonically. The ones I'd really like remasters of are the 80's Island albums -- the CD versions anyway sound flat, airy, and too quiet.

I have a bad feeling that a "Real Gone" "remix" is going to be an attempt to clean up an album that was widely regarded as being somewhat harsh on the ears, which is a shame considering what a defining element of that album that production style is.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 6:18 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

These remasters are available on Spotify

Edit: No Real Gone though, and not sure about Orphans, it does say (Remastered), but Mule Variations, Blood Money & Alice have the original and the remastered available, whereas Orphans only has the remastered available.

Last edited by contamination on Wed October 25, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 6:23 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

contamination wrote:
These remasters are available on Spotify

Edit: No Real Gone though, and not sure about Orphans, it does say (Remastered) Mule Variations, Blood Money & Alice have the original and the remastered available, but Orphans only the remastered.

Not Real Gone, though. That's the only one I'm interested in because it's being remixed.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 6:25 pm 
The Master

was it McP that hated the mastering and mixing of GLitter and Doom? I believe so. McP, get your hands in there and tell us if there is any improvement.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 6:27 pm 

Strat wrote:
was it McP that hated the mastering and mixing of GLitter and Doom? I believe so. McP, get your hands in there and tell us if there is any improvement.

I also hated it, and you're right the remastered version is there too.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 6:28 pm 
The Master

contamination wrote:
Strat wrote:

Yea i wasn't much of a fan. Sounds quite muddy on vinyl.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 6:39 pm 

Strat wrote:
contamination wrote:
Strat wrote:

I understand nothing about recording process, but somehow listening to that album makes me feel distant, like I am not in the audience but watching the gig from the lobby or something. It sounds like they'd placed one mic somewhere in the back of the room, there's just too much "space" in the sound. And the Tom tales could have been between the songs. I do love the version of Dirt In The Ground though.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 6:42 pm 
tl;dr

Man, I love "Glitter and Doom." I had no idea people took issue with the way it sounds.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 6:44 pm 
The Master

contamination wrote:
Strat wrote:
contamination wrote:
Strat wrote:

I understand nothing about recording process, but somehow listening to that album makes me feel distant, like I am not in the audience but watching the gig from the lobby or something. It sounds like they'd placed one mic somewhere in the back of the room, there's just too much "space" in the sound. And the Tom tales could have been between the songs. I do love the version of Dirt In The Ground though.

Fannin Street is fantastic

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 6:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
contamination wrote:
Strat wrote:
contamination wrote:
Strat wrote:

What a great song.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 6:47 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
contamination wrote:
Strat wrote:
contamination wrote:
Strat wrote:

What a great song.

Yeah there are some lovely songs and performances, my problem is just with the sound. Falling Down :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 6:49 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

contamination wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
contamination wrote:
Strat wrote:
contamination wrote:
Strat wrote:

What a great song.

Yeah there are some lovely songs and performances, my problem is just with the sound. Falling Down :heartbeat:

I can't weigh in on Glitter & Doom as I've still never listened to it. But I like all the studio versions of the songs we're talking about. :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 6:50 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
contamination wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
contamination wrote:
Strat wrote:
contamination wrote:
Strat wrote:

What a great song.

I can't weigh in on Glitter & Doom as I've still never listened to it. But I like all the studio versions of the songs we're talking about. :heartbeat:

What is this, now? Exsqueeze me? baking powder?

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 6:52 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
contamination wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
contamination wrote:
Strat wrote:
contamination wrote:
Strat wrote:

What a great song.

I just like having something saved up. I binged his catalog so quickly that it's nice to know there's something out there of his that I haven't consumed.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 7:00 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
contamination wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
contamination wrote:
Strat wrote:
contamination wrote:
Strat wrote:

What a great song.

I just like having something saved up. I binged his catalog so quickly that it's nice to know there's something out there of his that I haven't consumed.

yea but its time....

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 7:03 pm 
The Master

I mean, i know its not essential but....Some great versions and I was at this tour so :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 11:08 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Strat wrote:
contamination wrote:
Strat wrote:

For me it's something about how his voice sounds. Compressed to the point of weightlessness

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 11:11 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

This Amazon reviewer put it well
Quote:
Unfortunately, the entire album sounds like it was bootlegged by an audience member. Tom's vocals are so flat and full of low end as to be unintelligible and, at times, distorted. As for the rest of the band, I can't bring myself to believe that the instruments were actually tracked seperately, as they bleed into each other so heavily you often can't discern anything more than the general harmonic structure of the tune. When anyone solos, it only makes what's already a piss poor job all the more painstakingly obvious. In fact, the applause and shouts of the audience often sound clearer and more distinct than the music itself, to the extent of sometimes drowning it out, lending even more credence to my impression that the show was recorded by an external source rather than a direct soundboard.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 70  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands