The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post subject: Re: Fave Grunge Bands
PostPosted: Sun February 02, 2014 3:42 am 
A Return To Form

Man in Black wrote:
1. Pearl Jam
2. Nirvana
3. Kiss
4. Five for Fighting
5. Creed

Crap! I left grunge pioneers Twisted Sister off of my list :oops:

PostPosted: Sun February 02, 2014 2:53 pm 
Rank This Poster

LetMeSleep wrote:
daft twat wrote:
Paw

Too right. Hey did I ever tell you my story?

No. Let's hear it.

PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2014 2:18 am 
Posting (live)

daft twat wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
daft twat wrote:
Paw

No. Let's hear it.

Paw toured Australia in Novemeber 1995 to support Death To Traitors. Dragline is one of my favourite albums and this was going to be massive. I had tickets to 2 Sydney shows on the Thursday and Friday and I was flying up to Brisbane for the Livid festival on the Sat (also my 20th bday). So night 1 was a great show in a great venue (Metro cap 2000). Night 2 was awesome and I was front row (Narrabeen Sands cap 500-700). Livid festival I was once again front row main stage (approx 20,000). They were on around 5pm and I can't remember much of the rest of the day (I saw Rollins though).

The next day we discover that they're playing a show about an hour south on the coast, tickets on the door. As we get off the bus we discover there's no more buses north till around 6am. Turns out there were only about 20 poeple there that night. Mark and Grant recognised us (plus some girl that was next to me at Livid) and proceeded to take requests and pass out their rider amongst us. After the show the come out for a chat, invite us backstage and partake in the local bush buds etc. After a few hours sleep on the beach we just got back to our hotel to check out before heading to the airport. They were on the same plane heading to Sydney. I was sitting next to Doc Neeson of Aussie band The Angels and my mate was sitting next to a priest when Grant stumbles on the plane and proceeds to freak out about the fucking aussie weed we consumed last night. Hilarious and unconfortable.

About a week or so later they added another Sydney show at The Annandale (maybe 1000). Of course we're there again and they not only remember us but remember that I'm a drummer. They called me up on stage to share the kit for Pansy and Death To Traitors. Not much can top that shit for a buzz.

It was a few years before my band played either The Annandale but that memory will live with me forever. Fuck I love that band.

PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2014 2:21 am 
Poster of the Year

Heathen wrote:
The Rolling Fuckin' Stones
Beck
The Official Neil Young
Max Richter
Thee Silver Mt. Zion
Stevie Wonder
Ryan Adams
generic smashing pumpkins
Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
Neutral Milk Hotel
Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks
Honeyhoney
Warpaint
Slint
Pixies

I'm so into everything the Heather account it's sickening.

PostPosted: Tue February 04, 2014 4:43 am 
Rank This Poster

LetMeSleep wrote:
daft twat wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
daft twat wrote:
Paw

No. Let's hear it.

Paw toured Australia in Novemeber 1995 to support Death To Traitors. Dragline is one of my favourite albums and this was going to be massive. I had tickets to 2 Sydney shows on the Thursday and Friday and I was flying up to Brisbane for the Livid festival on the Sat (also my 20th bday). So night 1 was a great show in a great venue (Metro cap 2000). Night 2 was awesome and I was front row (Narrabeen Sands cap 500-700). Livid festival I was once again front row main stage (approx 20,000). They were on around 5pm and I can't remember much of the rest of the day (I saw Rollins though).

The next day we discover that they're playing a show about an hour south on the coast, tickets on the door. As we get off the bus we discover there's no more buses north till around 6am. Turns out there were only about 20 poeple there that night. Mark and Grant recognised us (plus some girl that was next to me at Livid) and proceeded to take requests and pass out their rider amongst us. After the show the come out for a chat, invite us backstage and partake in the local bush buds etc. After a few hours sleep on the beach we just got back to our hotel to check out before heading to the airport. They were on the same plane heading to Sydney. I was sitting next to Doc Neeson of Aussie band The Angels and my mate was sitting next to a priest when Grant stumbles on the plane and proceeds to freak out about the fucking aussie weed we consumed last night. Hilarious and unconfortable.

About a week or so later they added another Sydney show at The Annandale (maybe 1000). Of course we're there again and they not only remember us but remember that I'm a drummer. They called me up on stage to share the kit for Pansy and Death To Traitors. Not much can top that shit for a buzz.

It was a few years before my band played either The Annandale but that memory will live with me forever. Fuck I love that band.

what a great story! to say i'm jealous would be beyond understatement. of the bands that formed my youth, there were 3 that i never had the chance to see: nirvana, alice (with layne), and paw. if i could go back in time and see just one, it's paw, hands down. dragline is a fucking masterpiece. in my head i know death to traitors isn't as good, but i like it just as much. those records just sound like where i'm from. mark and grant played together under the paw moniker in lawrence maybe 5 or 6 years ago, and i was all set to drive down, but my parents offered to come down and help me work on my house. i wanted to tell them i had plans, but the work really needed to be done. i have regretted that decision ever since. i know now that i'll never see paw, and even if they did play a show, they'd be old men years past their once mighty form. still, i spin those records all the time. they never get old. they're sort of like crawling inside the brother's sleeping bag for me.

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2014 4:02 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

does sponge fall into this category?

not so much a top 5 list but just in general

sponge, alice in chains, pj, STP

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2014 4:39 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 WWW  Profile

Finally, a place for RMers to discuss grunge.

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2014 4:41 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Finally, a place for RMers to discuss grunge.

And not a moment too soon, I'm telling you.

PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2014 5:42 pm 
Commissioner

This grunge thing. I have a feeling the kids are gonna dig it.

PostPosted: Fri March 28, 2014 3:32 am 
Posting (live)

daft twat wrote:
still, i spin those records all the time. they never get old. they're sort of like crawling inside the brother's sleeping bag for me.

I forgot to :thumbsup: this. Great albums and DTT is very good but not as good. Did you ever get Keep The Bullet For Yourself and the Palomar album?

PostPosted: Fri March 28, 2014 4:13 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

this went exactly as planned

PostPosted: Fri March 28, 2014 6:19 am 
Future Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Heathen wrote:
The Rolling Fuckin' Stones
Beck
The Official Neil Young
Max Richter
Thee Silver Mt. Zion
Stevie Wonder
Ryan Adams
generic smashing pumpkins
Mark Kozelek | Sun Kil Moon | Red House Painters
Neutral Milk Hotel
Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks
Honeyhoney
Warpaint
Slint
Pixies

I'm so into everything the Heather account it's sickening.

PostPosted: Fri March 28, 2014 6:48 am 
Broken Tamborine

Screaming Trees of course!

PostPosted: Fri March 28, 2014 9:38 pm 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands