Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Ryan Adams

Thu February 16, 2017 9:41 am

An interesting view on recent Ryan records

http://uproxx.com/music/ryan-adams-pris ... ce-albums/

Also Ryan appeared on NPRs "all song considered" and its quite interesting
http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/20 ... some-roads

Mon February 27, 2017 4:48 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04v5f77
Watch Ryan Adams perform a beautiful cover of Bruce Springsteen's classic Streets Of Philadelphia.

Mon February 27, 2017 5:05 pm

No

Sat March 25, 2017 1:10 am

Finally got around to Prisoner and just had the third listen and it really clicked in for me. I like the lyrical themes surrounding the breakup - gives him a new angle to write about. I just find his melodies so effortless, deceptively so at first. But now I'm all on board. He's at his best on this one when the Smiths influence shines through a little more than the Springsteen.

Sat March 25, 2017 1:15 am

Our local classic rock station has been playing Cuts Like A Knife a lot lately. Not a bad tune, but I like a Run To You a lot better.

Sat March 25, 2017 1:17 am

evenslow wrote:Finally got around to Prisoner and just had the third listen and it really clicked in for me. I like the lyrical themes surrounding the breakup - gives him a new angle to write about. I just find his melodies so effortless, deceptively so at first. But now I'm all on board. He's at his best on this one when the Smiths influence shines through a little more than the Springsteen.

About 5 tiresome listens for me. Still sounds like 12 retreads. I'll keep trying every so often.

Sat March 25, 2017 1:34 am

Outbound Train is the only song I like.

Sat March 25, 2017 2:37 am

verb_to_trust wrote:Outbound Train is the only song I like.

My favorite Suzy Bogguss tune.

Sat March 25, 2017 3:29 am

LetMeSleep wrote:
evenslow wrote:Finally got around to Prisoner and just had the third listen and it really clicked in for me. I like the lyrical themes surrounding the breakup - gives him a new angle to write about. I just find his melodies so effortless, deceptively so at first. But now I'm all on board. He's at his best on this one when the Smiths influence shines through a little more than the Springsteen.

About 5 tiresome listens for me. Still sounds like 12 retreads. I'll keep trying every so often.

After my first run-thru I was worried this would be my reaction. But for whatever reason, it works for me now.

Maybe b/c I started playing it back-to-back with the new Spoon, two records that could not be more different.

Fri April 28, 2017 2:13 pm

17 Prisoner b-sides just showed up on Spotify.

Fri April 28, 2017 2:15 pm

"Prisoner" (the song) hits that melancholy sweet spot that he does so well. Probably my favorite song on the record.

Fri April 28, 2017 2:39 pm

evenslow wrote:"Prisoner" (the song) hits that melancholy sweet spot that he does so well. Probably my favorite song on the record.

Yep, my fav too. Gets stuck in my head all the time.

Fri April 28, 2017 2:46 pm

Remember that shitty song he had in that Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie?

Fri April 28, 2017 3:02 pm

Wease I want you to think about what you just did

Fri April 28, 2017 3:04 pm

wease wrote:Remember that shitty song he had in that Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie?

Fri April 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Jesus! Whatta mane!

Fri April 28, 2017 3:19 pm

wease wrote:Jesus! Whatta mane!

Spoiler: show

Fri April 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Are the B sides any good? Really don't want to commit the time to listen if it's just more prisoner self titled sounding stuff.

Fri April 28, 2017 6:59 pm

verb_to_trust wrote:Are the B sides any good? Really don't want to commit the time to listen if it's just more prisoner self titled sounding stuff.

they're about what you'd expect. most of them you could swap for songs on prisoner without anyone noticing. still, worth listening to.

Fri April 28, 2017 7:19 pm

guestT wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:Are the B sides any good? Really don't want to commit the time to listen if it's just more prisoner self titled sounding stuff.

they're about what you'd expect. most of them you could swap for songs on prisoner without anyone noticing. still, worth listening to.

Man, I just wish this guy would gimmie something good gimmie something good give me sumthin gud gimmie something good uuuuuullliiis!!!
Post a reply