The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Adams
PostPosted: Thu July 28, 2016 1:41 am 
The Master

Sad Dracula. Thabks

PostPosted: Thu July 28, 2016 5:00 am 
Gone

surfndestroy wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Ryan blocked me from his fb page for saying Warrant's 80s smash hit Cherry Pie was sexist. I think it's safe to say he's into a lot of bad music and probably doesn't regard country as anything other than a means to an end for him.

I'm not sure how anyone can say a tongue in cheek song is sexist. Looking at the lyrics, where is the sexism? It doesn't put down women in any way.

She's my cherry pie
Cool drink of water such a sweet surprise
Tastes so good makes a grown man cry
Sweet Cherry Pie
Swingin' on the front porch
Swingin' on the lawn
Swingin' where we want
'Cause there ain't nobody home
Swingin' to the left
And swingin' to the right
If I think about baseball
I'll swing all night yea
Swingin' in the living room
Swingin' in the kitchen
Most folks don't 'cause
They're too busy bitchin'
Swingin' in there 'cause
She wanted me to feed her
So I mixed up the batter
And she licked the beater
I scream you scream
We all scream for her
Don't even try 'cause
You can't ignore her
She's my cherry pie
Cool drink of water
Such a sweet surprise
Tastes so good
Make a grown man cry
Sweet cherry pie oh yea

Well now that it's typed out in front of me it does kind of read like a feminist manifesto of sorts. Part of me was just trolling Ryan because it takes a real douche to laud a band like Warrant.

PostPosted: Thu July 28, 2016 2:49 pm 
The Master

what terrible lyrics

PostPosted: Thu July 28, 2016 3:31 pm 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
what terrible lyrics
Definitely juvenile but not sexist. Nothing demeaning is said about women. In fact, the singer puts himself down as having to think about baseball to last longer. Pretty sex positive overall. Dumb and juvenile though.

PostPosted: Tue August 16, 2016 11:47 pm 
Gone

http://gothamist.com/2016/08/09/t_swift_ryan_adams_1989_is_hell.php

This is pretty cool

PostPosted: Wed August 17, 2016 4:39 am 
Rank This Poster

surfndestroy wrote:
Strat wrote:
what terrible lyrics
Definitely juvenile but not sexist. Nothing demeaning is said about women. In fact, the singer puts himself down as having to think about baseball to last longer. Pretty sex positive overall. Dumb and juvenile though.

Yea I'd imagine when the warrant guy wrote that shit he was all fucked up on a shit ton of coke around a handful of naked chicks not giving 2 shits about artistic integrity

PostPosted: Wed August 17, 2016 6:07 am 
Gone

The point is I trolled Ryan and he took the bait. My only punishment is not being able to post comments on his Facebook updates. Which given his weak output since Easy Tiger and refusal to release Blackhole is pretty irrelevant.

PostPosted: Wed August 17, 2016 6:20 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

PostPosted: Wed August 17, 2016 2:47 pm 
Rank This Poster

I didn't read the whole thing, but yeah of course cherry pie was sexist.. pretty much 80s hair metal was sexist in general

PostPosted: Wed August 17, 2016 2:49 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

It LITERALLY objectifies women.

And worst of all, if fucking mixes metaphors, too!

Is she a fucking pie? Or is she a fucking drink? WHICH IS IT DOUCHEBAG?

PostPosted: Fri September 30, 2016 5:34 pm 
Gone

He's got a new album coming out in November. It's probably going to suck like everything else he's done since about 2009. I read some tweets he deleted. Sounds like he was inspired by bad 80s music and his ACDC running playlist...

PostPosted: Fri September 30, 2016 8:27 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Quote:
For the last year, fans wanting fresh material from Ryan Adams have had to settle for his Taylor Swift covers album. But fear not, sad-folk: Your singer-songwriter king will soon return with legitimately new material and it’s dropping on November 4th.

According to Entertainment Weekly, Adams whittled down his still-unnamed project from a batch of “literally 80” songs to a much-more-manageable 11. Fans can probably expect some of the slickness of TSwift productions to rub off on this project, as all the names he cited as influences on the upcoming album are known for big, polished tunes.

Adams said that ELO and Bachman-Turner Overdrive heavily influenced the guitar sound on the new record. “I was like, ‘Wow! I understand the multicolored guitar tone moments now,” he said. “You can layer stuff. I really just learned a lot.”

As for his more general inspirations, Adams cited AC/DC and ’80s Springsteen as the catalyst of this album. “When I run, I listen to [an iPod] Nano that I have. I put all the AC/DC records on from back to front, or I’ll listen to the best of stuff from the ’80s: Springsteen, or [Nick] Hornsby, and I’ll listen to what is going on there,” he said. “I was listening to AC/DC’s Fly on the Wall and that’s when I realized what I had to do for the record.”

The singer-songwriter went on to say that the record will ask some “cool, big questions” that may never get answered. “I think the challenge for me — the Everest peak, for me — is to tell this story in 11 songs, to tell this part of my life in 11 songs. How do I make a real distinct record where anybody listens to it and says, ‘That’s the truth from beginning to end.’ So it’s like exercise. It sucks in the beginning. But then you get into it.”

He had me at "ELO."

PostPosted: Sat October 01, 2016 6:48 am 
Gone

80 songs huh? That would give me a boner in 2005 but now I'm almost certain 75 of those are throwaways.

PostPosted: Mon October 03, 2016 2:44 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I'm so bored with artists making claims about the number of songs they are not releasing.

PostPosted: Wed December 07, 2016 7:47 am 
Banned from the Pit

The new single off of the new record

PostPosted: Wed December 07, 2016 2:28 pm 
no doubt about it, that is definitely a post-cardinals ryan adams song

PostPosted: Wed December 07, 2016 2:57 pm 
The Master

Lol. He busted that out at red rocks this past summer. It's so ridiculous but I love it

PostPosted: Wed December 07, 2016 3:56 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

evenslow wrote:
Quote:
For the last year, fans wanting fresh material from Ryan Adams have had to settle for his Taylor Swift covers album. But fear not, sad-folk: Your singer-songwriter king will soon return with legitimately new material and it’s dropping on November 4th.

According to Entertainment Weekly, Adams whittled down his still-unnamed project from a batch of “literally 80” songs to a much-more-manageable 11. Fans can probably expect some of the slickness of TSwift productions to rub off on this project, as all the names he cited as influences on the upcoming album are known for big, polished tunes.

Adams said that ELO and Bachman-Turner Overdrive heavily influenced the guitar sound on the new record. “I was like, ‘Wow! I understand the multicolored guitar tone moments now,” he said. “You can layer stuff. I really just learned a lot.”

As for his more general inspirations, Adams cited AC/DC and ’80s Springsteen as the catalyst of this album. “When I run, I listen to [an iPod] Nano that I have. I put all the AC/DC records on from back to front, or I’ll listen to the best of stuff from the ’80s: Springsteen, or [Nick] Hornsby, and I’ll listen to what is going on there,” he said. “I was listening to AC/DC’s Fly on the Wall and that’s when I realized what I had to do for the record.”

The singer-songwriter went on to say that the record will ask some “cool, big questions” that may never get answered. “I think the challenge for me — the Everest peak, for me — is to tell this story in 11 songs, to tell this part of my life in 11 songs. How do I make a real distinct record where anybody listens to it and says, ‘That’s the truth from beginning to end.’ So it’s like exercise. It sucks in the beginning. But then you get into it.”

He had me at "ELO."

[Nick] Hornsby-Yes who could forget Nick Hornsby's albums from the 80's.

PostPosted: Wed December 07, 2016 6:14 pm 
Gone

New song sucks. The more Ryan releases shitty80s sounding trash the more obvious it becomes that his strong early output was all just an act. This is the real Ryan Adams, and he's basically Kenny Loggins.

PostPosted: Wed December 07, 2016 8:55 pm 
The Master

verb_to_trust wrote:
New song sucks. The more Ryan releases shitty80s sounding trash the more obvious it becomes that his strong early output was all just an act. This is the real Ryan Adams, and he's basically Kenny Loggins.

Calm down.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 58  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands