The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Entire genres that only need one thread: Kesha
PostPosted: Thu February 25, 2016 1:00 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
So sex/drugs/partying can't be empowering?

Not really, no.

PostPosted: Thu February 25, 2016 1:04 am 
The Master

zeb wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Not really, no.

You're the worst.

PostPosted: Thu February 25, 2016 1:08 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
zeb wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Not really, no.

You're the worst.

8-)

PostPosted: Thu February 25, 2016 2:00 pm 
tl;dr

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
chewm wrote:
The situation is really fucked up and I really don't think it means that she should change the direction of her music or lyrics.

Right. That's a super fucked-up expectation to place on a victim of abuse. A person and their art not defined by their abuse. Not to mention that the alleged abuse in this situation had already happened before Ke$ha made the music that made her famous.

I agree, but a sidebar to the larger issue in the Kesha/Dr. Luke situation is what she describes as a lack of control over her own work, which understandably raises the question: Is the music that made her famous really the music she wanted to be making? A quote from Rolling Stone:

Quote:
"What's been put out as singles have just perpetuated a particular image that may or may not be entirely accurate," she said. "I'd like to show the world other sides of my personality."

I don't mean to suggest that she'd rather be singing lounge ballads or something, but she certainly suggests that a non-label-endorsed version of herself might look different than what we're used to.

PostPosted: Thu February 25, 2016 4:29 pm 
Production Police

Thanks for chiming in, KD, and you are right on the money -- you said more eloquently what I was trying to get it. And just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that Kesha should do anything; was merely wondering aloud if this experience would impact her formula of writing about a lifestyle that, while certainly empowering for some people at some times, is also certainly destructive for other people at other times. And I'll follow your good example and let the personal tit-for-tat alone.

PostPosted: Fri April 29, 2016 5:22 pm 
The Master

I must admit that I do not like the new song at all and it makes me worried about her future output.

Skitch, thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri April 29, 2016 6:34 pm 
RM Elitist

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I must admit that I do not like the new song at all and it makes me worried about her future output.

Skitch, thoughts?

I don't care for it yet. I don't hate it, so I imagine I may turn around on it though.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:51 pm 
RM Elitist

Its really a weird thing how this whole rape allegation story has legitimized her as an artist.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:57 pm 
The Master

@SkitchP wrote:
Its really a weird thing how this whole rape allegation story has legitimized her as an artist.

Yeah...I don't like it at all

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:02 pm 
RM Elitist

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:

Me either.. It's really fucking bizarre. She went from a punchline artist for most to an eagerly anticipated return to the stage without recording a thing.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:04 pm 
The Master

@SkitchP wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:

Me either.. It's really fucking bizarre. She went from a punchline artist for most to an eagerly anticipated return to the stage without recording a thing.

I'm also really concerned it's going to affect the quality of her future music. Everything seems so politically loaded now, which doesn't exactly jell with the nature of her sound. At least not in this context. Everything seems so fucking serious and dignified now. I don't see a lot of fun dance-pop coming out of that. At least not soon.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:09 pm 
RM Elitist

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:

I'm also really concerned it's going to affect the quality of her future music. Everything seems so politically loaded now, which doesn't exactly jell with the nature of her sound. At least not in this context. Everything seems so fucking serious and dignified now. I don't see a lot of fun dance-pop coming out of that. At least not soon.

Yep. Kesha's value to me was fun. Nothing about this is fun.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:15 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

If the allegations are true, and if she does mine this situation for her future output, then I reckon it's still better to produce potentially boring "politicized" songs on her own than churn out "fun dance-pop" from under her abuser's thumb. She's not going to suddenly become Adele or Beyoncé, I don't think.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:17 pm 
RM Elitist

theplatypus wrote:
If the allegations are true, and if she does mine this situation for her future output, then I reckon it's still better to produce potentially boring "politicized" songs on her own than churn out "fun dance-pop" from under her abuser's thumb. She's not going to suddenly become Adele or Beyoncé, I don't think.

Oh, for her? No question. Im not mad at her if thats the route she goes or thats the road her experiences send her down..

It just means I wont enjoy it probably.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:18 pm 
Production Police

@SkitchP wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:

Yep. Kesha's value to me was fun. Nothing about this is fun.

Remember when I posted this back in February? Just sayin'.

tragabigzanda wrote:
I hope this doesn't come off as victim shaming -- that's certainly not my intent -- but I wonder: If Kesha does get out of her deal with Dr. Luke, and gets back to making pop music, will she still write songs about sex/drugs/partying? Or will she do an about-face to something more empowering?

Haven't actually listened to the new song yet; don't really care to. But from you guys are saying, it sounds like being the victim in this story has had an impact on her "fun" songs.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:23 pm 
The Master

@SkitchP wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Oh, for her? No question. Im not mad at her if thats the route she goes or thats the road her experiences send her down..

Yep. Exactly. I mean, it's possible that she could do something with her new direction that will result in an artistic statement I will find compelling, but based on "True Colors" and the whole mentality around her now, I don't see that happening. While I absolutely believe in Kesha and her conviction, I have a feeling the artistic result will feel like little more than PC pandering.

Post subject: Re: Ke$ha
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:27 pm 
RM Elitist

theplatypus wrote:

and this is still an amazing gif.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:28 pm 
RM Elitist

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Yep. Exactly. I mean, it's possible that she could do something with her new direction that will result in an artistic statement I will find compelling, but based on "True Colors" and the whole mentality around her now, I don't see that happening. While I absolutely believe in Kesha and her conviction, I have a feeling the artistic result will feel like little more than PC pandering.

And Im somewhat optimistic still that the new direction could just be an additional direction, not an entirely new rebranding. I hope there's room for 2 Keshas in that adorable little snaggle tooth.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:32 pm 
The Master

@SkitchP wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

And Im somewhat optimistic still that the new direction could just be an additional direction, not an entirely new rebranding. I hope there's room for 2 Keshas in that adorable little snaggle tooth.

Hopefully. But the whole point of "True Colors" struck me as a rebranding, to the point of almost saying "That wasn't me; this is me." But, again, hopefully not.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:35 pm 
RM Elitist

She had it right when she said "I know you don't care what my middle name is"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands