The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 1:05 pm 
Offline
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:24 pm
Posts: 681
BurtReynolds wrote:
there last two albums are painful to listen to for me (James' strange delivery especially), but I still want to see them live again.


agreed. when i last saw them in 2009 the songs from evil urges sounded tolerable. but i have zero desire to hear anything post-Z. those last two albums are pretty much unlistenable.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 1:53 pm 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 489
I had Circuital in the car the other day for as long as my wife could tolerate and I still think it's an excellent album. What really occurred to me though was that even though I haven't engaged in pot smoking in a really really long time, this album is sort of tailor made for that experience.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 6:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 11, 2013 9:43 pm
Posts: 171
what most people are missing is that Z had the best production of any album thanks to john lecke, 2nd place being circuital, and jim james voices decline. listen to Z or okonokons and songs like the wordless chorus outro where james is wailing away with high notes and compare that to recent tours. he can't hit those high notes anymore. on top of that he's reduced the reverb both in the studio and live (listen to recent golden takes). the non stop touring is a double edge sword - they're one of the tightest bands around and have honed a unique sound and always deliver. the downside is james' voice is declining.

_________________
Remember when you were young, You shone like the sun. Now there's a look in your eyes, Like black holes in the sky.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 9:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 8:29 pm
Posts: 368
the problem isn't Jim's voice... not at all.

the problem is the songwriting. Jim has this idea that he wants MMJ to have this Ween/goofy/cornball-esque side to them and it hurts them a lot.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 9:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 29342
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
solace wrote:
the problem isn't Jim's voice... not at all.

the problem is the songwriting. Jim has this idea that he wants MMJ to have this Ween/goofy/cornball-esque side to them and it hurts them a lot.

yeah i get the feeling he has become too hip to really try. he's got the goods, but not the balls to put himself out there.

_________________
dev wrote:
Love pans out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 11:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 11, 2013 9:43 pm
Posts: 171
i'm not saying his voice is a problem, its just in decline. his voice and their sound is always primary compared to their songwriting. i do agree that some of the songs off the last two albums have been sub par, but there are just as many, if not more, really good songs out of the last two. touch me 1&2, smoking from shootin, circuital, wonderful come to mind.

_________________
Remember when you were young, You shone like the sun. Now there's a look in your eyes, Like black holes in the sky.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2013 4:38 am 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Sun April 07, 2013 2:38 am
Posts: 743
Location: Gulfport, MS
Those are good songs but I'm starting to think that maybe they blew their wad on Z. Smokin From Shootin is awesome though.

_________________
Less judgement, more curiosity.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 11, 2013 9:43 pm
Posts: 171
saw jim james tuesday night at the 930 club. played 2 sets, about 2 hours. the first set was songs from his solo album, i think in order, and 2nd set wonderful, hopefully, and songs from monster of folk, which i hadn't heard before (i dont own that album).

this band was good and tight, and he was very active on stage, a bit more than a mmj show. i thought the solo songs were excellent and had several interesting extensions and jams. his voice also was excellent, better than the last two tours ive seen.

_________________
Remember when you were young, You shone like the sun. Now there's a look in your eyes, Like black holes in the sky.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:35 am 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:57 am
Posts: 445
diesel wrote:
saw jim james tuesday night at the 930 club. played 2 sets, about 2 hours. the first set was songs from his solo album, i think in order, and 2nd set wonderful, hopefully, and songs from monster of folk, which i hadn't heard before (i dont own that album).

this band was good and tight, and he was very active on stage, a bit more than a mmj show. i thought the solo songs were excellent and had several interesting extensions and jams. his voice also was excellent, better than the last two tours ive seen.


Good to hear. He's playing at a small venue near me in June that I plan on going to.

_________________
I'll be the one in the lobby in the green fuck me shirt. The green one.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:10 am 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 16, 2013 4:04 am
Posts: 485
Quote:
Austin City Limits taping with Jim James 5/5

KLRU-TV, Austin PBS, and Austin City Limits are pleased to tell you that your name was picked from more than 4,000 entries to be in our studio audience for the Jim James taping on Sunday, May 5th. There will be two passes in your name at the
acltv.com winner area. These passes are not transferable and cannot be sold. Be sure to read entire email


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:53 am 
Offline
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 3:57 am
Posts: 224
diesel wrote:
i'm not saying his voice is a problem, its just in decline. his voice and their sound is always primary compared to their songwriting. i do agree that some of the songs off the last two albums have been sub par, but there are just as many, if not more, really good songs out of the last two. touch me 1&2, smoking from shootin, circuital, wonderful come to mind.


If you cut half the songs out of the middle of EU(Thank You Too-Look At You), you'd have an album that stands up pretty well with It Still Moves and Z. As it is, it's just too long of a stretch with the mellow stuff and Two Halves breaking it up doesn't cut it.

Circuital has a really great 1-2 punch to start, and there's another nice song or 1(Wonderful) but it feels short on really great ideas compared to most of their other albums.

Far as JJ's cornballish weirdness, I think that really elevates Z in certain spots. The wailing at the end of Wordless, Into the Woods, "Laylow let the fetus rock", but the way he enunciates the end of certains lyrics, "I can tell by the way the smile, I'm smilin too" can be a little tiresome. It usually grows on me, b/c I can be a little obnoxious when singing along to it, it's just become kinda predictable.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:20 am 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 04, 2013 8:54 pm
Posts: 584
Charlie wrote:
Quote:
Austin City Limits taping with Jim James 5/5

KLRU-TV, Austin PBS, and Austin City Limits are pleased to tell you that your name was picked from more than 4,000 entries to be in our studio audience for the Jim James taping on Sunday, May 5th. There will be two passes in your name at the
acltv.com winner area. These passes are not transferable and cannot be sold. Be sure to read entire email


Congratulations!

I'm in the camp that enjoyed the last 2 albums. I agree that EU could have been cut a little, but songs like Librarian and Aluminum Park are fine by me. I haven't seen them since the EU tour, but those songs sounded great live.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:43 am 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 16, 2013 4:04 am
Posts: 485
Hatfield wrote:
Charlie wrote:
Quote:
Austin City Limits taping with Jim James 5/5

KLRU-TV, Austin PBS, and Austin City Limits are pleased to tell you that your name was picked from more than 4,000 entries to be in our studio audience for the Jim James taping on Sunday, May 5th. There will be two passes in your name at the
acltv.com winner area. These passes are not transferable and cannot be sold. Be sure to read entire email


Congratulations!

I'm in the camp that enjoyed the last 2 albums. I agree that EU could have been cut a little, but songs like Librarian and Aluminum Park are fine by me. I haven't seen them since the EU tour, but those songs sounded great live.


this was so fucking fantastic, i ended up buying a cheap ass ticket off of stubhub to see him again the following night. he played pretty much the same fucking set, but i didnt care.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 8:42 pm
Posts: 689
Location: Denver
Oh, Jimmy wrote:
diesel wrote:
i'm not saying his voice is a problem, its just in decline. his voice and their sound is always primary compared to their songwriting. i do agree that some of the songs off the last two albums have been sub par, but there are just as many, if not more, really good songs out of the last two. touch me 1&2, smoking from shootin, circuital, wonderful come to mind.


If you cut half the songs out of the middle of EU(Thank You Too-Look At You), you'd have an album that stands up pretty well with It Still Moves and Z. As it is, it's just too long of a stretch with the mellow stuff and Two Halves breaking it up doesn't cut it.

Circuital has a really great 1-2 punch to start, and there's another nice song or 1(Wonderful) but it feels short on really great ideas compared to most of their other albums.

Far as JJ's cornballish weirdness, I think that really elevates Z in certain spots. The wailing at the end of Wordless, Into the Woods, "Laylow let the fetus rock", but the way he enunciates the end of certains lyrics, "I can tell by the way the smile, I'm smilin too" can be a little tiresome. It usually grows on me, b/c I can be a little obnoxious when singing along to it, it's just become kinda predictable.


This is a really insightful post.

For the record I think their stuff up to Z is fucking awesome...but it's definitely in the vein of stuff that I am usually drawn to. Z is good, I like it a lot, different style, and I think the change was implemented very well. What came after is a grab-bag of some stuff done really well and some songs that are almost impossible not to skip.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Wed April 30, 2014 7:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 12574
Location: Cumberland, RI
Most under-rated MMJ songs...go!


_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Wed April 30, 2014 9:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 8293
Location: An office full of assholes
Lowdown (live)
Smokin' from Shootin'

That is all (for now)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:13 pm 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Mon January 07, 2013 1:03 pm
Posts: 261
Location: Atlanta, GA
Is strangulation underrated? i'd vote for that if it counts


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 11, 2013 9:43 pm
Posts: 171
what are these guy up to? it's odd that they're not touring in the summer.

_________________
Remember when you were young, You shone like the sun. Now there's a look in your eyes, Like black holes in the sky.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:45 pm 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 11:52 pm
Posts: 1051
diesel wrote:
what are these guy up to? it's odd that they're not touring in the summer.

been in and out of the studio since January. Finishing up an album seems to be the priority.

also, this is a perfect version of Nashville to Kentucky. Love this EP


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 12574
Location: Cumberland, RI
I got the "Chocolate & Ice" EP today (a vinyl copy, of course) and it sounds awesome!

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mike and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue January 16, 2018 1:14 pm