The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 4:47 pm 
The Master

Chris_H_2 wrote:
so i just listened to evil urges again. i know i'm in the minority, but i think it's good. and it has a top 10 MMJ song on it (smokin from shootin).

i think the initial disappointment was because their previous albums were so freaking good...whenever i've returned to it i'm still really underwhelmed though...i doubt it has any song that would even crack my top 37...i'll rank all their songs here in a few minutes to confirm though

PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 5:54 pm 
AnalLog

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
so i just listened to evil urges again. i know i'm in the minority, but i think it's good. and it has a top 10 MMJ song on it (smokin from shootin).

i think the initial disappointment was because their previous albums were so freaking good...whenever i've returned to it i'm still really underwhelmed though...i doubt it has any song that would even crack my top 37...i'll rank all their songs here in a few minutes to confirm though

The first couple and last couple songs are pretty good, but everything in between is pure shit. There's a song on there that's basically Christian rock, iirc. (Look at You, or something.)

PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 6:05 pm 
AnalLog

ghost wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

The first couple and last couple songs are pretty good, but everything in between is pure shit. There's a song on there that's basically Christian rock, iirc. (Look at You, or something.)

first 5 & last 2 :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 6:51 pm 
The Master

ghost wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

you're thinking of How Great Thou Art

PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 6:53 pm 
AnalLog

ghost wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

always

PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 6:56 pm 
The Master

ghost wrote:
ghost wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

always

i want to baptize you so hard

PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 6:57 pm 
AnalLog

you're 30 years too late

PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 7:05 pm 
The Master

ghost wrote:
you're 30 years too late

are you 31?

PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 7:32 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Chris_H_2 wrote:

i can definitely see that. and i think listening to it after circuital and waterfall makes it sound that much better to some people. i think the songs stand well on their own.

peanut butter mf'n puddin' surprise

PostPosted: Thu July 09, 2020 8:35 pm 
The Master

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

i can definitely see that. and i think listening to it after circuital and waterfall makes it sound that much better to some people. i think the songs stand well on their own.

peanut butter mf'n puddin' surprise

i haven’t listened to waterfall much...i need to revisit it

i actually like circuital overall...more than most ppl it seems

PostPosted: Fri July 10, 2020 4:22 am 
Rank This Poster

Magic bullet - run it - wasted run rules

PostPosted: Fri July 10, 2020 9:45 am 
AnalLog

it's on youtube!

Oh and Jim also says they have a another new record to be released:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/07/jim-james-my-morning-jacket-new-record/

PostPosted: Fri July 10, 2020 10:33 am 
AnalLog

Oh wow... This record plays really nice!

It's less ambitious than Waterfall. I can see why these are left off.
However it doesnt feel like a left-over record...it can stand on its own!

Early favorites 'spinning my wheels' and 'wasted'!!

PostPosted: Fri July 10, 2020 11:08 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I half liked this and half loved it. The middle part of the record is frankly amazing. Spinning My Wheels was good. Wasted is the best MMJ song in probably 15 years. I like that thematically it does build on The Waterfall. Where the Waterfall dealt with the sort of gut emotions following a break up and almost felt in the record like going through a withdrawal, this sequel is more like the longing after those initial emotions subside. Sonically, I do love what the band does in its free moments throughout the album, but it’s great to hear this. Magic Bullet, which was previously released, is a work of genius to my ears. Run It was great. Now to give this time to grow.

PostPosted: Fri July 10, 2020 12:48 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

...and on second listen I love it all.

On sequencing, Welcome Home should have been the last song.

PostPosted: Fri July 10, 2020 2:21 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

joostone wrote:
it's on youtube!

Oh and Jim also says they have a another new record to be released:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/07/jim-james-my-morning-jacket-new-record/

I read this. I really hope they don’t sit on it for too long. Even if they can release it in the Fall or something. I mean, they sat on The Waterfall II for 5 years.

PostPosted: Fri July 10, 2020 4:01 pm 
AnalLog

wow , its like a warm blanket. What a nice addition to the catalog

PostPosted: Fri July 10, 2020 7:05 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

i got into these guys quite a bit last fall / winter. haven't gone back and listened to them since around march or so. i don't remember the waterfall at all, i need to listen again. for evil urges, call me crazy but i think "touch me i'm going to scream pt. 2" is one if the band's best songs.

PostPosted: Fri July 10, 2020 7:21 pm 
AnalLog

darth_vedder wrote:
i got into these guys quite a bit last fall / winter. haven't gone back and listened to them since around march or so. i don't remember the waterfall at all, i need to listen again. for evil urges, call me crazy but i think "touch me i'm going to scream pt. 2" is one if the band's best songs.

Evil Urges has some of their best AND worse songs.... I like the record because it has some of my fav MMJ songs.

Back to Waterfall II. Just finished my second listen, great effortless record!

PostPosted: Sat July 11, 2020 5:16 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I am enjoying this again today. I read the CoS review and it didn’t even mention Wasted. How is that even possible, in either direction really.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 37  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands