The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 1:05 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
there last two albums are painful to listen to for me (James' strange delivery especially), but I still want to see them live again.

agreed. when i last saw them in 2009 the songs from evil urges sounded tolerable. but i have zero desire to hear anything post-Z. those last two albums are pretty much unlistenable.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 1:53 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I had Circuital in the car the other day for as long as my wife could tolerate and I still think it's an excellent album. What really occurred to me though was that even though I haven't engaged in pot smoking in a really really long time, this album is sort of tailor made for that experience.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 6:29 pm 
A Return To Form

what most people are missing is that Z had the best production of any album thanks to john lecke, 2nd place being circuital, and jim james voices decline. listen to Z or okonokons and songs like the wordless chorus outro where james is wailing away with high notes and compare that to recent tours. he can't hit those high notes anymore. on top of that he's reduced the reverb both in the studio and live (listen to recent golden takes). the non stop touring is a double edge sword - they're one of the tightest bands around and have honed a unique sound and always deliver. the downside is james' voice is declining.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 9:43 pm 
Broken Tamborine

the problem isn't Jim's voice... not at all.

the problem is the songwriting. Jim has this idea that he wants MMJ to have this Ween/goofy/cornball-esque side to them and it hurts them a lot.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 9:50 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

solace wrote:
the problem isn't Jim's voice... not at all.

the problem is the songwriting. Jim has this idea that he wants MMJ to have this Ween/goofy/cornball-esque side to them and it hurts them a lot.

yeah i get the feeling he has become too hip to really try. he's got the goods, but not the balls to put himself out there.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 11:18 pm 
A Return To Form

i'm not saying his voice is a problem, its just in decline. his voice and their sound is always primary compared to their songwriting. i do agree that some of the songs off the last two albums have been sub par, but there are just as many, if not more, really good songs out of the last two. touch me 1&2, smoking from shootin, circuital, wonderful come to mind.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2013 4:38 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Those are good songs but I'm starting to think that maybe they blew their wad on Z. Smokin From Shootin is awesome though.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:01 pm 
A Return To Form

saw jim james tuesday night at the 930 club. played 2 sets, about 2 hours. the first set was songs from his solo album, i think in order, and 2nd set wonderful, hopefully, and songs from monster of folk, which i hadn't heard before (i dont own that album).

this band was good and tight, and he was very active on stage, a bit more than a mmj show. i thought the solo songs were excellent and had several interesting extensions and jams. his voice also was excellent, better than the last two tours ive seen.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:35 am 
Broken Tamborine

diesel wrote:
saw jim james tuesday night at the 930 club. played 2 sets, about 2 hours. the first set was songs from his solo album, i think in order, and 2nd set wonderful, hopefully, and songs from monster of folk, which i hadn't heard before (i dont own that album).

this band was good and tight, and he was very active on stage, a bit more than a mmj show. i thought the solo songs were excellent and had several interesting extensions and jams. his voice also was excellent, better than the last two tours ive seen.

Good to hear. He's playing at a small venue near me in June that I plan on going to.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:10 am 
Broken Tamborine

Quote:
Austin City Limits taping with Jim James 5/5

KLRU-TV, Austin PBS, and Austin City Limits are pleased to tell you that your name was picked from more than 4,000 entries to be in our studio audience for the Jim James taping on Sunday, May 5th. There will be two passes in your name at the
acltv.com winner area. These passes are not transferable and cannot be sold. Be sure to read entire email

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:53 am 
Broken Tamborine

diesel wrote:
i'm not saying his voice is a problem, its just in decline. his voice and their sound is always primary compared to their songwriting. i do agree that some of the songs off the last two albums have been sub par, but there are just as many, if not more, really good songs out of the last two. touch me 1&2, smoking from shootin, circuital, wonderful come to mind.

If you cut half the songs out of the middle of EU(Thank You Too-Look At You), you'd have an album that stands up pretty well with It Still Moves and Z. As it is, it's just too long of a stretch with the mellow stuff and Two Halves breaking it up doesn't cut it.

Circuital has a really great 1-2 punch to start, and there's another nice song or 1(Wonderful) but it feels short on really great ideas compared to most of their other albums.

Far as JJ's cornballish weirdness, I think that really elevates Z in certain spots. The wailing at the end of Wordless, Into the Woods, "Laylow let the fetus rock", but the way he enunciates the end of certains lyrics, "I can tell by the way the smile, I'm smilin too" can be a little tiresome. It usually grows on me, b/c I can be a little obnoxious when singing along to it, it's just become kinda predictable.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:20 am 
AnalLog

Charlie wrote:
Quote:

KLRU-TV, Austin PBS, and Austin City Limits are pleased to tell you that your name was picked from more than 4,000 entries to be in our studio audience for the Jim James taping on Sunday, May 5th. There will be two passes in your name at the
acltv.com winner area. These passes are not transferable and cannot be sold. Be sure to read entire email

Congratulations!

I'm in the camp that enjoyed the last 2 albums. I agree that EU could have been cut a little, but songs like Librarian and Aluminum Park are fine by me. I haven't seen them since the EU tour, but those songs sounded great live.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:43 am 
Broken Tamborine

Hatfield wrote:
Charlie wrote:
Quote:

Congratulations!

I'm in the camp that enjoyed the last 2 albums. I agree that EU could have been cut a little, but songs like Librarian and Aluminum Park are fine by me. I haven't seen them since the EU tour, but those songs sounded great live.

this was so fucking fantastic, i ended up buying a cheap ass ticket off of stubhub to see him again the following night. he played pretty much the same fucking set, but i didnt care.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:04 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
diesel wrote:

If you cut half the songs out of the middle of EU(Thank You Too-Look At You), you'd have an album that stands up pretty well with It Still Moves and Z. As it is, it's just too long of a stretch with the mellow stuff and Two Halves breaking it up doesn't cut it.

Circuital has a really great 1-2 punch to start, and there's another nice song or 1(Wonderful) but it feels short on really great ideas compared to most of their other albums.

Far as JJ's cornballish weirdness, I think that really elevates Z in certain spots. The wailing at the end of Wordless, Into the Woods, "Laylow let the fetus rock", but the way he enunciates the end of certains lyrics, "I can tell by the way the smile, I'm smilin too" can be a little tiresome. It usually grows on me, b/c I can be a little obnoxious when singing along to it, it's just become kinda predictable.

This is a really insightful post.

For the record I think their stuff up to Z is fucking awesome...but it's definitely in the vein of stuff that I am usually drawn to. Z is good, I like it a lot, different style, and I think the change was implemented very well. What came after is a grab-bag of some stuff done really well and some songs that are almost impossible not to skip.

PostPosted: Wed April 30, 2014 7:59 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Most under-rated MMJ songs...go!

PostPosted: Wed April 30, 2014 9:27 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Lowdown (live)
Smokin' from Shootin'

That is all (for now)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:13 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Is strangulation underrated? i'd vote for that if it counts

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:35 pm 
A Return To Form

what are these guy up to? it's odd that they're not touring in the summer.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:45 pm 
AnalLog

diesel wrote:
what are these guy up to? it's odd that they're not touring in the summer.

been in and out of the studio since January. Finishing up an album seems to be the priority.

also, this is a perfect version of Nashville to Kentucky. Love this EP

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:00 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I got the "Chocolate & Ice" EP today (a vinyl copy, of course) and it sounds awesome!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands