Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

My Morning Jacket

Tue January 01, 2013 4:13 pm

New Year's Eve: Agganis Arena, Boston, MA

Circuital
Outta My System
I'm Amazed
The Way That He Sings
Off The Record
Lay Low
Steam Engine
Wonderful
Rocket Man (Elton John cover)
Victory Dance
Phone Went West
Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt. 1
Wordless Chorus
Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt. 2
Cobra
Run Thru
Holdin' On To Black Metal
Midnight Hour (Wilson Pickett cover)
You Never Can Tell (Chuck Berry cover)
Gideon

Encore:
One Big Holiday
All Night Long (Lionel Richie cover)
Celebration (Kool & The Gang cover)
Hungry Heart (Bruce Springsteen cover)
Dancefloors
Rock the Casbah (The Clash cover)
Anytime

These guys are absolute machines. That main set ran from about 9:20-11:45 with no breaks at all. Nearly every song had a jam at the beginning or at the end, and there wasn't much chatter. The Preservation Hall Jazz Band joined on a bunch of songs (Black Metal-->Gideon in the main set, then most of the songs in the encore). We were pretty far up on the side of the arena but the crowd was electric the whole night throughout the room. Also, I'm a huge fan of balloons:

Re: My Morning Jacket

Mon January 14, 2013 3:32 pm

Listening to 2012-12-27 Capitol Theatre - Port Chester, NY right now! Awesome.

Mon January 14, 2013 5:11 pm

Anyone hear the Jim James solo album? It's very enjoyable.

Mon January 14, 2013 5:20 pm

Rob wrote:Anyone hear the Jim James solo album? It's very enjoyable.

I wanted to download it the other day and could only find a single :(

What was the album title again? Ill search for that instead of jim james

Mon January 14, 2013 5:21 pm

Regions of Light and Sound of God

Mon January 14, 2013 5:24 pm

Rob wrote:Regions of Light and Sound of God

Hopefully i find it tonight

Mon January 14, 2013 5:58 pm

I wasn't aware that it had leaked; gonna wait for the vinyl, though!

Mon January 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Simple Torture wrote:

I wasn't aware that it had leaked; gonna wait for the vinyl, though!

ah, so there is why i didnt find it, if it hasnt been released yet, and must not be on what as of a week or so ago

Mon January 14, 2013 10:05 pm

The quality of the ones on the torrent sites I've seen are pretty low-quality transcodes (128 kb/s up-converted to 320 kb/s).

Fri April 05, 2013 6:31 pm

Seeing them for free tonight in atlanta :)

figure it will be a hit laden setlist but that is okay

Mon April 08, 2013 6:16 pm

I haven't seen these guys since 2007, but I'd love to catch them again. Z is on my all time favorites list for sure. It Still Moves, Evil Urges, and Circuital all probably come close. I was never really into the stuff before then, though I've tried. On album it comes out too countrified as compared to the live versions for my taste.

Tue April 09, 2013 3:20 pm

liebzz wrote:I haven't seen these guys since 2007, but I'd love to catch them again. Z is on my all time favorites list for sure. It Still Moves, Evil Urges, and Circuital all probably come close. I was never really into the stuff before then, though I've tried. On album it comes out too countrified as compared to the live versions for my taste.

Man I really really like MMJ. One of those bands I listen to in obsessive spurts and then drop like a hot potato for a while. Z is by far my favorite album from them followed by It Still Moves and Evil Urges. I wasn't big on Circuital.

Liebzz they're first 2 albums defiantly have a more laid back country approach but there are some really nice songs to be found. Lowdown is a good example and I love Death is the Easy Way. X-mas Curtain is a good one too.

Now look what you guys have done, I've brought them up on my media player and I have the feeling I'm going to be listening to them alot this week.

Tue April 09, 2013 4:30 pm

They're definitely one of my favorite bands (top 3, with PJ and Built to Spill). I've seen them live so many times, and it's always an incredible experience.

And I've got to say, Circuital has really grown on me over the last couple of years. Outta My System has some of the dumbest lyrics ever, but overall, I think it's a really cool album. And the songs do well in a live setting.

I'd rank the full albums this way:

Z
It Still Moves
At Dawn
Circuital
Evil Urges
Tennessee Fire

All great albums though - I only rank TF at the bottom because it's a little rough and has a little more of a "southern vibe" to it (I'm a yankee, don't take it personally), but it's still great - and the 2 b-side/demo/outtake albums from that era have a lot of gems too.

I hope they've got some new music coming down the pipeline soon. The Jim James solo album was pretty sweet.

Tue April 09, 2013 4:33 pm

Rob wrote:I hope they've got some new music coming down the pipeline soon. The Jim James solo album was pretty sweet.

My musical plate has been so full that I haven't heard a single thing off his solo album... thanks for reminding me about it, I need to give it a listen!

*edit* check out the Built to Spill thread I made, I'd say our musical tastes are pretty closely aligned based on those 3 bands!

Tue April 09, 2013 6:29 pm

TheDapperGent wrote:
liebzz wrote:I haven't seen these guys since 2007, but I'd love to catch them again. Z is on my all time favorites list for sure. It Still Moves, Evil Urges, and Circuital all probably come close. I was never really into the stuff before then, though I've tried. On album it comes out too countrified as compared to the live versions for my taste.

Man I really really like MMJ. One of those bands I listen to in obsessive spurts and then drop like a hot potato for a while. Z is by far my favorite album from them followed by It Still Moves and Evil Urges. I wasn't big on Circuital.

Liebzz they're first 2 albums defiantly have a more laid back country approach but there are some really nice songs to be found. Lowdown is a good example and I love Death is the Easy Way. X-mas Curtain is a good one too.

Now look what you guys have done, I've brought them up on my media player and I have the feeling I'm going to be listening to them alot this week.

See...I love the sound of the early stuff on Okonokos (probably in my top 5 favorite non-PJ live albums), but on the albums themselves I haven't been quite able to get into it. Outta My System is an upgrade over Librarian, if that helps. I think Circuital is a fine fine album. Holding On to Black Metal, even though it was single, was a real standout to me. Victory Dance and Circuital also do a great job of building up as songs. I do miss Jim James having the echo though. I thought he sounded great on all the albums through Z with the singing from the other end of a really long tunnel thing.

Tue April 09, 2013 6:31 pm

liebzz wrote:
TheDapperGent wrote:

See...I love the sound of the early stuff on Okonokos (probably in my top 5 favorite non-PJ live albums), but on the albums themselves I haven't been quite able to get into it. Outta My System is an upgrade over Librarian, if that helps. I think Circuital is a fine fine album. Holding On to Black Metal, even though it was single, was a real standout to me. Victory Dance and Circuital also do a great job of building up as songs. I do miss Jim James having the echo though. I thought he sounded great on all the albums through Z with the singing from the other end of a really long tunnel thing.

I can agree with all that. Those older songs sound supercharged on the Okonokos concert! And yeah I missed the heavy verb on circuital.

Tue April 09, 2013 6:47 pm

Oh, I thought it was missing on Evil Urges too. Certainly love the album, but secretly missed the echo.

Tue April 09, 2013 7:03 pm

there last two albums are painful to listen to for me (James' strange delivery especially), but I still want to see them live again.

Wed April 10, 2013 2:35 am

I find the only album I consistently return to is Z.

Fri April 12, 2013 12:46 pm

BurtReynolds wrote:there last two albums are painful to listen to for me (James' strange delivery especially), but I still want to see them live again.

evil urges didnt do a lot for me, but its growing, but i love circuital, its a bit different but i enjoy every song on it, and they are great songs live as well
Post a reply