The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 2:34 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Decided to use my nugs membership tonight to watch their set at the 2012 Forecastle Festival in Louisville, KY (7/14/12). This show was bonkers, featuring Johnny Quaid, Andrew Bird, the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, the band throwing boxes and boxes of bananas out to the crowd whilst covering George Michael’s Careless Whispers…this band is just nuts.

Set list: The Dark, Holding On to Black Metal, Wordless Chorus, I’m Amazed, Anytime, It Beats 4 U, Steam Engine, Isn’t It a Pity (Harrison), Outta My System, Mahgeetah, Rocket Man (John), The Bear, Cobra, Run Thru, It Makes No Difference (The Band), Smokin’ From Shootin’, Touch Me Pt. 2, Gideon

Encore: Victory Dance, Circuital, Careless Whispers (Michael), One Big Holiday

PostPosted: Sat October 02, 2021 9:32 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Finally got the Live 2015 album in the mail. Loving it of course. For as much as I favor At Dawn through Z, I do love their newer output as well.

Edit: damn this is a great great Dondante!

Edit 2: on the last song. This is really something spectacular- I mean every song has a reason to be here and is a performance that well elevates the song. Not a wasted moment here. Goddamn they are incredible. I really hope this becomes available on streaming services so I can listen to it on more than just a turntable.

PostPosted: Fri October 08, 2021 9:28 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Obviously in full MMJ mode leading into the new album. Okonokos today.

PostPosted: Wed October 13, 2021 10:03 pm 
AnalLog

A song off the new album “Complex”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B1WxPJxx6 ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Fri October 15, 2021 5:05 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Giving this a listen just now. It seems to take the middle road between the first two singles, and I can sort see where this album is going between these three songs and the live songs we’ve heard. I’m into it.

This might end up as the ultimate stoner album of the new century. Haha.

PostPosted: Fri October 15, 2021 5:57 pm 
The Master

That one is more like it.

PostPosted: Fri October 15, 2021 9:24 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Strat wrote:

I gave it a second listen and really enjoyed it. I still think it fits in the context of everything else we’ve heard so far. This is easily the album I’ve most looked forward to in 2021 and I don’t think I will be disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon October 18, 2021 10:43 pm 
AnalLog

https://riffmagazine.com/album-reviews/ ... ng-jacket/

PostPosted: Tue October 19, 2021 3:04 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Got Some wrote:
https://riffmagazine.com/album-reviews/mmj-my-morning-jacket/

I didn’t get that much of a read off that review since she spent most of the time talking about the songs we have already heard. Even if she hated it I would still be excited for this.

PostPosted: Tue October 19, 2021 2:44 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/review ... bum-review

This one gives me even more hope.

PostPosted: Tue October 19, 2021 9:33 pm 
AnalLog

Strat wrote:

Complex isn't hitting the right spot for me, but I've only listened twice. It felt like Remnants and I've never been pulled to skip to Remnants when I listen to Evil Urges.

I'm still REALLY looking forward to this album.

PostPosted: Tue October 19, 2021 10:20 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Whether it is recency bias or whatever, I am really enjoying all three songs so far and the live versions of the other two songs are very promising.

Actually on repeat listens Love Love Love has surpassed Regularly Scheduled Programming for me. Something about it is real addicting.

PostPosted: Wed October 20, 2021 12:56 am 
AnalLog

In color is my fav so far.

It just sounds so epic. Complex had grown on me and I defo hear the Remnants comparisons.

I’m a Remnants fan.

I’m very surprised this hasn’t leaked yet tbh

PostPosted: Wed October 20, 2021 1:59 am 
Rank This Poster

Honestly I think complex is one of the best songs of the year so far n it's climbing up my overall mmj rankings as well

PostPosted: Wed October 20, 2021 10:57 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

It’s the RMs, so I gotta post my last pre- self titled rankings right?

It Still Moves (reissue - seriously the best remaster of an album I have ever heard)
Z
At Dawn
The Waterfall II
Circuital
The Waterfall
Tennessee Fire
Evil Urges (this one fell for me, but only because I have a renewed appreciation for the two above it - love all these albums)

Note: Okonokos and Live 2015 would both probably rank at the top of the list, but I have to say I prefer Live 2015 over Okonokos…and I saw it for sale in a Newbury Comics in Westchester yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu October 21, 2021 11:37 pm 
AnalLog

I’m liking the new album

In Color, Never In The Real World and Penny For Your Thoughts were the early stand outs.

The entire album just flowed from start to finish.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CymKLVBbR ... s8&index=1

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 1:17 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Awesome! Not gonna YouTube it, probably stream off Spotify in the morning since my record, once again, hangs in UPS. Chattanooga, TN. Live 2015 and this one maybe take the same Circuital route?

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 1:28 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I owe an apology to all the albums I could have heard over the next month cause this fucker’s gonna be on repeat.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 1:53 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Got Some wrote:
I’m liking the new album

In Color, Never In The Real World and Penny For Your Thoughts were the early stand outs.

I listened to this straight through 1.5 times. I will surely listen to this a lot more times in the immediate future. Thematically, it really is an optimistic album, not depressing or morose at all, which even though the delivery is a little hammy at moments, it fits Jim James to a tee. The music is nothing short of spectacular. Not only massive epic throw downs, but tons of little surprises and nooks in there as well. Credit is due on The Devil’s in the Details, a nine minute song that may be one of very few on the album that doesn’t have an epic coda, and then juxtaposing that with Lucky to Be Alive, which is a much brighter delivery - genius sequencing there because both songs sound better for it. Penny For Your Thoughts should have been a single because it is immediately accessible and addicting. In Color feels like the real album kick off - for as much as I do like Regularly Scheduled Programming and Love Love Love - they sort of arrive like a feeling out of the space they will explore and then MMJ gets to work on In Color and carries that quality through the rest of the album.

Could be the excitement of the first listen, but I immediately felt like this is their best album since Z.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 1:53 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Got Some wrote:
I’m liking the new album

I listened to this straight through 1.5 times. I will surely listen to this a lot more times in the immediate future. Thematically, it really is an optimistic album, not depressing or morose at all, which even though the delivery is a little hammy at moments, it fits Jim James to a tee. The music is nothing short of spectacular. Not only massive epic throw downs, but tons of little surprises and nooks in there as well. Credit is due on The Devil’s in the Details, a nine minute song that may be one of very few on the album that doesn’t have an epic coda, and then juxtaposing that with Lucky to Be Alive, which is a much brighter delivery - genius sequencing there because both songs sound better for it. Penny For Your Thoughts should have been a single because it is immediately accessible and addicting. In Color feels like the real album kick off - for as much as I do like Regularly Scheduled Programming and Love Love Love - they sort of arrive like a feeling out of the space they will explore and then MMJ gets to work on In Color and carries that quality through the rest of the album.

Could be the excitement of the first listen, but I immediately felt like this is their best album since Z.

Edit: the jazz breakdown at the end of The Devil’s in the Details might just be the best and most unexpected moment in this album.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 37  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands