The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201 ... 278  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Vinyl Thread: Still Listen On Wax, Don't Use The CD
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:44 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
Strat wrote:

strat, I love you, but I have to ask: do you really file Neil Young under "N" and not "Y"?

Yea and I have no idea why. I think its just always been that way and my collection grew exponentially so I've stuck with it. I have been meaning to rearrange though. It makes no sense and i admit to that because i do file Bob Dylan under D.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:47 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Is that black spine in the NY section the Live at the Bluenote LP set? It drives me bonkers that it has nothing on either spine.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:48 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
Is that black spine in the NY section the Live at the Bluenote LP set? It drives me bonkers that it has nothing on either spine.

Feels like quite the oversight by mr. sound himself.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:06 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I have my box sets on a different shelf than regular-sized LPs, so it doesn't disrupt the flow--but still!

In other news: middle of next week I am actually going to start telecommuting every day. I'm also in a new position where I won't have to be on the phones anymore. I think I can probably average spinning 8-10 LPs every day? I can really, really see this leading to an even more uncontrollable buying habit (if I took half the money I used to spend on gas weekly, I could buy an extra 2-3 LPs per week).

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:10 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Simple Torture wrote:
I have my box sets on a different shelf than regular-sized LPs, so it doesn't disrupt the flow--but still!

In other news: middle of next week I am actually going to start telecommuting every day. I'm also in a new position where I won't have to be on the phones anymore. I think I can probably average spinning 8-10 LPs every day? I can really, really see this leading to an even more uncontrollable buying habit (if I took half the money I used to spend on gas weekly, I could buy an extra 2-3 LPs per week).

Case in point: I've already pre-ordered two 7'' today and it's only 10:00AM.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:40 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i'm sure we've discussed this before, but how does everyone sort their records? I used to do straight alphabetical artists, but i'm redoing mine now, and am thinking of breaking it down per genre:

Genre > Artist alphabetical > Album chronological

where do you put compilations or soundtracks? i tend to stick them after the alphabetical artists, but if i break this into genres, maybe their own section?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:46 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

LPs alphabetical by group name or artist's last name*, then soundtracks/compilations, then 10'', then box sets on a lower shelf. 7'' in a box on top of my receiver.

*Special rule for certain artists who are the creative force in groups and also have solo records: they usually go under the artist's last name. So Sun Kil Moon and Red House Painters are under "K" for Mark Kozelek, Magnolia Electric Co. and Songs: Ohia are under "M" for Jason Molina, etc. If I have one or two LPs for a side project or a solo member breaking from a group, they might get filed under the main group (Eddie Vedder LPs are under Pearl Jam), but if I have a significant amount, they get their own spot (Brad is under "B" because I have 4 of those I think).

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:48 pm 
AnalLog

i've tried by genre, but a lot of shit I listen too is cross genre so that didn't work, then i tried alphabetically by artist name/last name but that didn't work either for me. for years now i've been doing artist/first name now and that's the most satisfying. 7" are in it's own box, as well as 10" in the same order. Various artists or splits come after Z.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:49 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

kreng wrote:
i've tried by genre, but a lot of shit I listen too is cross genre so that didn't work, then i tried alphabetically by artist name/last name but that didn't work either for me. for years now i've been doing artist/first name now and that's the most satisfying. 7" are in it's own box, as well as 10" in the same order. Various artists or splits come after Z.

Do you use a specific 10'' box or just something you had lying around?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:59 pm 
AnalLog

Simple Torture wrote:
kreng wrote:

Do you use a specific 10'' box or just something you had lying around?

i use a milk crate

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:01 pm 
The Master

Simple Torture wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Case in point: I've already pre-ordered two 7'' today and it's only 10:00AM.

I recently moved my office to my home. Unfortunately, my work station is upstairs and my record player/stereo is down stairs so I am unable to spin records all day :(

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:06 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I'm setting up a home office in the basement, which is unfinished and can be sort of damp, so I am not going to move everything down there. I plan on putting the stereo on a side table and just bringing down 10 albums or so at a time that I am in the mood for that day. I am also working evenings, so there will also probably be a TV for muted baseball. I'm salaried now, motherfuckers!

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 7:00 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Update on how ridiculous things have gotten: I ordered an album from France today, seller told me he could send it over for just €4 shipping if I didn't mind it coming by boat in 2 months. So either sometime in August a package is going to arrive with no advance warning or I am out $35.

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 8:35 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Simple Torture wrote:
I'm setting up a home office in the basement, which is unfinished and can be sort of damp, so I am not going to move everything down there. I plan on putting the stereo on a side table and just bringing down 10 albums or so at a time that I am in the mood for that day. I am also working evenings, so there will also probably be a TV for muted baseball. I'm salaried now, motherfuckers!

the good life.

PostPosted: Fri June 14, 2019 5:30 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Way back when my wife and I first started dating, she gave me one of those Crosley 5 in 1 shelving units to play my records on. My setup at the time needed a needle but sounded great otherwise. I welcomed the Crosley because I love her and it reminds me of her, and we've used it ever since. The plate quickly wore out and everything sounds warped on it. So her grandma just gave us a new one. Another Crosley, LOL. It's been a long time since I've hooked up the old turntable system I used to use. I don't think I even know where all the components are anymore

PostPosted: Fri June 14, 2019 5:44 pm 
Future Drummer

My girlfriend lives a very minimalist life except for bicycles. She mocks my vinyl collection. She teases if we ever move in together that the vinyl goes in the garage.

PostPosted: Fri June 14, 2019 6:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

surfndestroy wrote:
My girlfriend lives a very minimalist life except for bicycles. She mocks my vinyl collection. She teases if we ever move in together that the vinyl goes in the garage.

sounds like you need a new girlfriend

PostPosted: Sat June 15, 2019 1:56 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

surfndestroy wrote:

Maybe she can live in the garage right?

PostPosted: Sun June 16, 2019 2:03 pm 
The Master

Kill her

PostPosted: Sun June 16, 2019 2:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Three viable options here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201 ... 278  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands