The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253 ... 278  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Vinyl Thread: Still Listen On Wax, Don't Use The CD
PostPosted: Thu July 14, 2022 1:02 pm 
The Master

Just bought:

Dire Straits - S/T
Nirvana - In Utero Albini Mixes

PostPosted: Thu July 14, 2022 1:26 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Rangi Guy wrote:

Pretty

PostPosted: Thu July 14, 2022 1:27 pm 
Rank This Poster

No idea what album that is but it looks fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu July 14, 2022 3:17 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Higgs wrote:
No idea what album that is but it looks fantastic.

Jack White - Fear of the Dawn

PostPosted: Sun July 31, 2022 9:39 pm 
The Master

Any current VMP members here? I really want the Blossom Dearie repress but don’t want to sign up. Would gladly pay you + S&H if you could hook me up.

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 11:04 pm 
The Master

MoFi busted for using a digital step for years and deceiving customers.

Or alt title: audiophiles full of shit, never could hear the difference between analog and digital.

WaPo: How a Phoenix record store owner set the audiophile world on fire
MoFi Records claimed its expensive reissues were purely analog reproductions. It had been deceiving its customer base for years.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/music/20 ... l-scandal/

PostPosted: Sat August 06, 2022 1:38 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
Any current VMP members here? I really want the Blossom Dearie repress but don’t want to sign up. Would gladly pay you + S&H if you could hook me up.

You can find the first VMP pressing pretty easily for around $50

PostPosted: Sat August 06, 2022 3:07 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:

Or alt title: audiophiles full of shit, never could hear the difference between analog and digital.

MoFi Records claimed its expensive reissues were purely analog reproductions. It had been deceiving its customer base for years.

You're about half right. "Audiophiles" *used* to be able to tell the difference, but things changed quite a while ago and now they're compacent shitheads.

Just go to the Steve Hoffman Forums and read any thread. Everything is great, everything is amazing. No matter how poor it sounds, no matter how sketchy the source material, no matter how bereft the bonus material, no matter how bad the remix, and no matter how expensive it is. Say something negative about any release and they cry like little bitches.

There are specialty record labels who have been decieving customers for years. One good example is Sundazed, who use vinyl as their source material and claim it is "analog masters" and fold down stereo mixes and call them "original mono mixes", but if you say something negative about them you will be roasted by "audiophiles" who don't even think it's important! Why? Because they used to be a decent label and the owner is looked upon as some kind of hero/god.

And Steve Hoffman himself is notorious for using copy tapes and old CD's as source material for his own expensive audiophile releases and smugly covering it up. So the irony runs full circle.

So if anything, this MOFI saga makes me laugh out loud. Unfortunately, they will become the poster children for this type of deception and not the many many labels before them.

PostPosted: Sat August 06, 2022 3:13 pm 
The Master

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

You're about half right. "Audiophiles" *used* to be able to tell the difference, but things changed quite a while ago and now they're compacent shitheads.

Just go to the Steve Hoffman Forums and read any thread. Everything is great, everything is amazing. No matter how poor it sounds, no matter how sketchy the source material, no matter how bereft the bonus material, no matter how bad the remix, and no matter how expensive it is. Say something negative about any release and they cry like little bitches.

There are specialty record labels who have been decieving customers for years. One good example is Sundazed, who use vinyl as their source material and claim it is "analog masters" and fold down stereo mixes and call them "original mono mixes", but if you say something negative about them you will be roasted by "audiophiles" who don't even think it's important! Why? Because they used to be a decent label and the owner is looked upon as some kind of hero/god.

And Steve Hoffman himself is notorious for using copy tapes and old CD's as source material for his own expensive audiophile releases and smugly covering it up. So the irony runs full circle.

So if anything, this MOFI saga makes me laugh out loud. Unfortunately, they will become the poster children for this type of deception and not the many many labels before them.

I post over on Hoffman on occasion, lurk very regularly. I’ve known the difference between A/D has been hard to discern for a while now; whenever the Slate and UA tape emulations dropped — 2011ish? — I was finding myself in sessions where the digital tape emulation was freakishly deceptive.

For me, the vinyl format is about care and intention, first and foremost: even a decent pressing will have broader dynamic range and LF/HF roll off, all of which are more pleasing to my ears. AAA is preferable, and I’m not as up to speed on the individual pressing plant chicanery as you seem to be. But my MoFi Dire Straits record sounds fantastic, digital step or not.

PostPosted: Sat August 06, 2022 3:15 pm 
The Master

Oh and yes, Steve seems to be a bit of a tool

PostPosted: Sat August 06, 2022 3:29 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
I post over on Hoffman on occasion, lurk very regularly. I’ve known the difference between A/D has been hard to discern for a while now; whenever the Slate and UA tape emulations dropped — 2011ish? — I was finding myself in sessions where the digital tape emulation was freakishly deceptive.

For me, the vinyl format is about care and intention, first and foremost: even a decent pressing will have broader dynamic range and LF/HF roll off, all of which are more pleasing to my ears. AAA is preferable, and I’m not as up to speed on the individual pressing plant chicanery as you seem to be. But my MoFi Dire Straits record sounds fantastic, digital step or not.

Absolutely. I just find it ironic that they rarely care about the important stuff (source material, mixing and mastering quality) because negativity makes them weep. But they will blow a total gasket over a fucking digital step added to a vinyl pressing. It pretty much says all you need to know about the modern audiophile community.

PostPosted: Tue August 09, 2022 2:48 am 
AnalLog

I’ve been following this story for the last few weeks as I’m
subscribed to a bunch of vinyl related YouTube channels, including the ingroove who broke this story first as a rumor and then with confirmation.

I’m not an apologist for either party, nor do I consider myself an audiophile, though I do like having the best sounding version of a record, as long as it’s affordable. I don’t have any MoFi releases myself mainly because I don’t care about most of their output, and the ones I do care about are way too pricey. Personally I couldn’t care less if the best sounding version is digital. Digital seems to have come a long way, and some (non MoFi mastering engineers have already admitted that the difference between analog master and DSD 4x file is pretty much indiscernible.

The biggest issue at hand I think is that MoFi deliberately held back information from their customers. Of all the big audiophile labels out there, they have by far been the vaguest in their marketing.

Of the dozens of videos and content I have read on all this, this one stuck with me the most:

PostPosted: Tue August 09, 2022 11:27 am 
Future Drummer

kreng wrote:
The biggest issue at hand I think is that MoFi deliberately held back information from their customers. Of all the big audiophile labels out there, they have by far been the vaguest in their marketing.

Not true at all. As I pointed out above, many beloved labels have been doing this for many many years, but haven't been exposed in such a huge way, so a lot of the same people blowing a gasket about MOFI are completely ignorant to it. Steve Hoffman is well-known outside of his vanity forum as a huge fraud, who was fired from MCA in the 80's for stealing tapes and then investigated and raided by the FBI. And many of his expensive "original master tape" releases are just taken from copy tapes or old CD's. Sundazed regularly pulls similar shit. And I find that far more egregious than an unmentioned digital step.

PostPosted: Fri August 19, 2022 11:08 pm 
The Master

Just preordered this repress from MoFi:

Embracing the digital step.

PostPosted: Tue August 23, 2022 7:23 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

When smoking weed is your entire personality:

SLEEP & THIRD MAN RECORDS UNVEIL "WEEDIAN HIGH-FI" DELUXE PRESSING OF LANDMARK ALBUM DOPESMOKER, WITH ACTUAL CANNABIS LEAVES IN THE VINYL

(great album though)

PostPosted: Sat September 03, 2022 8:46 pm 
The Master

Three purchases today:

German OP:

Represses:

PostPosted: Sat September 03, 2022 9:25 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

tragabigzanda wrote:

Noice

PostPosted: Sat September 10, 2022 3:42 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Local H’s Here Comes The Zoo is finally getting pressed.

https://www.brutalpandarecords.com/prod ... e-lp-vinyl

PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2022 11:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... l-records/

PostPosted: Tue October 11, 2022 12:37 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

ImageImage

I went into Barnes and Noble on a whim yesterday, and my wife's educator account got me 25% off. I almost went up and picked up more stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253 ... 278  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands