Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Now Playing

Tue January 01, 2013 10:45 am

Get It Together - Beastie Boys
Last edited by zeb on Thu April 21, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Now Playing

Tue January 01, 2013 1:19 pm

Album: Leftfield - Rhythm and Stealth
Track: El Cid

Wed January 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Hammer of Heaven - The Sword :bammer:

Wed January 02, 2013 4:41 pm

Pinback - Shag

Wed January 02, 2013 5:07 pm

BurtReynolds wrote:Pinback - Shag

First time listening to these guys. Nice mellow sound without being total wussrock.

Wed January 02, 2013 6:13 pm

turned2black wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:Pinback - Shag

First time listening to these guys. Nice mellow sound without being total wussrock.

yeah its got just enough bite for me. Lots of things going on in their music that keep me interested. I've been listening to all their albums over and over lately.

and Hammer of Heaven is very :bammer: worthy.

Wed January 02, 2013 10:40 pm

Nothing. I've got a folder open with hundreds of gigabytes worth of music, and I just keep scrolling. I need some new blood.

Wed January 02, 2013 10:43 pm

Have you tried The Mynabirds?

Wed January 02, 2013 10:44 pm

Self wrote:Nothing. I've got a folder open with hundreds of gigabytes worth of music, and I just keep scrolling. I need some new blood.

Have you tried Tame Impala?

Wed January 02, 2013 10:56 pm

I quite enjoy Tame Impala. I haven't tried The Mynabirds because they kinda scare me.

Wed January 02, 2013 10:57 pm

Don't be afraid, friend.

Wed January 02, 2013 11:01 pm

Can you give me a brief description of their sound, Pete?

Wed January 02, 2013 11:02 pm

Kevin Davis could do it much better than I ever could.

They only have two albums and they're both worth checking out. Very different beasts.

Wed January 02, 2013 11:03 pm

Self wrote:I quite enjoy Tame Impala. I haven't tried The Mynabirds because they kinda scare me.

Don't bother, they suck.

Wed January 02, 2013 11:04 pm

In a word, I would describe The Mynabirds' sound as gorgeous.

Thu January 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Meet Me in the City - Junior Kimbrough

Thu January 03, 2013 3:38 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:Kevin Davis could do it much better than I ever could.

They only have two albums and they're both worth checking out. Very different beasts.

The two albums are definitely very different, to the point that's it's difficult to come up with a description that applies to the band in general. The first one is a loose, Memphis soul-type thing that Matthew Perpetua at Pitchfork did a nice job summarizing:

The material recalls artists such as Dusty Springfield, Laura Nyro, and Linda Rondstadt, but the sound and style come closer to more recent touchstones-- Jenny Lewis' best moments on her own and with Rilo Kiley; Cat Power circa The Greatest and Jukebox; Fiona Apple's collaborations with Jon Brion.

I'd quibble with the Fiona Apple comparison but the rest of it is spot-on. It's a beautiful, natural-sounding album with the spotlight squarely on Laura Burhenn's dusky, soulful voice. This is the first of the two albums I heard and it instantly made me want to get the second one.

The second album is a kind of meticulous, highly mechanized, borderline industrial pop--it's much darker, with more focus on rhythm and melody than on the voice itself. It's a little jarring after the relative straightforwardness of the first record, but it's a bold sidestep, and still pretty easily digestible in the grand scheme. I go back and forth on which one I prefer, but I think I'd give the second album the creative edge. It's a tremendous piece of work--wonderful songwriting and arranging.

You can probably get through both albums in just over an hour. They're worth the time.

Thu January 03, 2013 3:47 pm

I knew you were the man for the job.

Thu January 03, 2013 3:47 pm

I'll admit, I was touched that you thought of me.

Fri January 04, 2013 12:04 am

Post a reply