Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Steve Albini fans

Thu December 19, 2013 4:39 pm

OK, so this is a thinly veiled trick in to watching a lovely 70 minute video of the making of Magnolia Electric Company’s Josephine and spreading some more Molina love… But it is the best video I’ve seen of Albini’s working methods. More time spent talking to him than to Molina himself.

Good watch this.

Re: Steve Albini fans

Thu December 19, 2013 5:56 pm

I wish such a video existed for the Magnolia Electric Co. sessions.

Thu December 19, 2013 6:01 pm

Also, there are plenty of us here who loved Jason and continue to love his music; join us! viewtopic.php?f=6&t=494

Fri December 20, 2013 4:09 pm

I'll try to get this watched tonight. Anyone who brought forth the Pixies is good in my eyes. Plus PJ Harvey, Nirvana, Molina, Oldham. He's so well known for the Pixies/Nirvana alternative "loud/quiet" outburst in the early 90's, but looking through his work he's been much more diverse than that.

Isn't he kind of an ass, though? No anecdotal evidence, just vaguely remembering some bitching of his.

Fri December 20, 2013 6:01 pm

http://flavorwire.com/200540/steve-albini-meets-attacks-odd-future/

Fri December 20, 2013 6:50 pm

Gods' Die wrote:I'll try to get this watched tonight. Anyone who brought forth the Pixies is good in my eyes. Plus PJ Harvey, Nirvana, Molina, Oldham. He's so well known for the Pixies/Nirvana alternative "loud/quiet" outburst in the early 90's, but looking through his work he's been much more diverse than that.

Isn't he kind of an ass, though? No anecdotal evidence, just vaguely remembering some bitching of his.

Nah, he's actually a nice guy. He just doesn't suffer fools lightly.

Fri December 20, 2013 6:54 pm

super nintendo chalmers wrote:He just doesn't suffer fools lightly.
Isn't that pretty much the definition of an ass. The the "I'll only be nice to people I think are worthy because I'm quite possibly better than you" line of thinking.

Fri December 20, 2013 7:27 pm

surfndestroy wrote:
Isn't that pretty much the definition of an ass. The the "I'll only be nice to people I think are worthy because I'm quite possibly better than you" line of thinking.

No, I don't think its an arrogance thing. I found him to be very approachable after a Shelallc gig way back when.

Fri December 20, 2013 7:47 pm

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:

No, I don't think its an arrogance thing. I found him to be very approachable after a Shelallc gig way back when.

do you have any more shellac stories?

Fri December 20, 2013 7:49 pm

Alex wrote:
super nintendo chalmers wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:

do you have any more shellac stories?

Never a bad show. Witnessing Todd beat the shit out of his drums is well worth the price of admission. Think I've seen them about three times, first time Uzeda opened which was just bitchin'. The last time, two geeks got into a shoving matching after the show, that was pretty funny.

If you ever get a chance, go.

Fri December 20, 2013 8:57 pm

Shellac shows are legit.

Fri December 20, 2013 9:03 pm

zeb wrote:Shellac shows are legit.

Truth.

Sat December 21, 2013 5:41 pm

yes

Sat December 21, 2013 7:08 pm

We should probably just change this to the Shellac thread, but anyway, remember that compilation someone made of Fugazi stage banter? Some genius made one of the Shellac Q+A sessions they do during their shows.

Fri August 01, 2014 5:53 am

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lis ... ve-albini/

I enjoyed skimming through this and will read more closely over the weekend.

Fri August 01, 2014 10:17 pm

Sat August 02, 2014 4:21 am

Steve Albini is responsible for some of the best-produced albums ever.

Seamonsters by The Wedding Present
In Utero by Nirvana
Blessed Black Wings by High on Fire

Yeah, I fucking love this guy. And I don't think he's an ass at all; I always love hearing what he has to say. He's a very sharp, insightful dude.

Sat August 02, 2014 4:26 am

snc, did you ever come in for those shellac anniversary shows?

Sat August 02, 2014 7:22 am

Mclusky yo.

And low.

That alone would be helluva resume, the abbreviated resume also wouldn't include razor blade suitcase.

Sat August 02, 2014 9:10 pm

Malloy wrote:snc, did you ever come in for those shellac anniversary shows?

Naah, I still have yet to visit Chicago. One of these days though...

Here is a really good interview with the man himself from just the other week. You can listen here.
Post a reply