The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steve Albini fans
PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 3:33 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
I did get The Jesus Lizard “Goat” on vinyl about a month ago and for my money this is the best sounding hard rock record ever made.

Oh man. If we're in the mood to deal out hyperboles, I'll add that I'm listening to Pod right now and thinking to myself that it's the most hardest hitting pop music around.

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 3:35 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

washing machine wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
I do think the Butch Vig-helmed EJST&NS is a good example of Vig not leaning into the radio friendly format.

I always forget that was a Vig project. It doesn't have that gloss I associate with him and 90s icons.

Jet Set would rival Washing Machine for my favorite SY album if it had some Lee vocals and maybe one or two extended jam sections.

yeah Jet Set is great. I do think its SY at its poppiest, maybe because it doesnt have those jam sections.

But damn if Dirty, another Vig album, doesnt sound amazing.

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 3:44 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Respectfully I disagree. The sound of Dirty really distracts me from the songs. That one is another obvious choice for the Albini treatment if I had a genie and three wishes.

Just for you, I'll put Dirty on right now though. It's been a while. Maybe see you in the SY thread later. :peace:

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 4:16 pm 
Production Police

VinylGuy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Probably why they didn't. Especially after Albini teeing off on them about the Geffen signing.

Still would have loved to hear a lot of that 80s stuff with a better drum sound, and he'd be the man for it.

ugh Albini is such an asshole. Even when he was somehow calm in the Nirvana interview with Conan, he still needed to be the wiseass know it all here and there.

what in that interview felt assholish to you?

the part were he is like : ¨every story you heard about people doing drugs in the sessions are all a lie¨ ....Dude wtf are you talking about? The stupid call to Gene Simmons too. Those two are the ones i remember but pretty much his attitude is the attitude of a guy in his 20s. Grow up.

Well the Gene Simmons phone call happened in 1993, yeah? And I didn't think he was trying to dispel legends of excess in rock so much as arguing that for most "normal" bands, making records tends to be a laborious, fairly technical process. But I'll grant that my opinions on anything he says are colored by 1000 other interviews I've already consumed, so maybe taken on its own merits it was more like you said.

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 4:16 pm 
Production Police

yeah I actually hate Dirty because of the sound

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 4:26 pm 
Major Dude

tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Probably why they didn't. Especially after Albini teeing off on them about the Geffen signing.

Still would have loved to hear a lot of that 80s stuff with a better drum sound, and he'd be the man for it.

ugh Albini is such an asshole. Even when he was somehow calm in the Nirvana interview with Conan, he still needed to be the wiseass know it all here and there.

the part were he is like : ¨every story you heard about people doing drugs in the sessions are all a lie¨ ....Dude wtf are you talking about? The stupid call to Gene Simmons too. Those two are the ones i remember but pretty much his attitude is the attitude of a guy in his 20s. Grow up.

Well the Gene Simmons phone call happened in 1993, yeah? And I didn't think he was trying to dispel legends of excess in rock so much as arguing that for most "normal" bands, making records tends to be a laborious, fairly technical process. But I'll grant that my opinions on anything he says are colored by 1000 other interviews I've already consumed, so maybe taken on its own merits it was more like you said.

While I’m always for a good phone prank, the part where he said “any story you hear about a classic band getting a particular sound is bullshit” was particularly douchey. And then Grohl had a first-hand account with Page calling Albini’s statement bullshit. He just seems so full of himself and you definitely get the feeling that he believes he’s the only GOOD producer to ever produce a record EVER.

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 4:32 pm 
Production Police

so odd, I don't get that feeling at all. But then I've listened/read/seen enough interview where he is glowing about the talents of other engineers.

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 4:44 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
washing machine wrote:

While I’m always for a good phone prank, the part where he said “any story you hear about a classic band getting a particular sound is bullshit” was particularly douchey. And then Grohl had a first-hand account with Page calling Albini’s statement bullshit. He just seems so full of himself and you definitely get the feeling that he believes he’s the only GOOD producer to ever produce a record EVER.

yeah, and there is always a hint of ...¨everyone is a sellout but me¨ and when he in fact did sold out ( in his own terms) its about ...¨helping a band trying to recreate the sound they always wanted¨

He seems like one of those guys who believes he is smarter than everyone and doesnt seem to get any joy of nothing

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 4:45 pm 
The Master

why does he dress like michael meyers

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 4:50 pm 
The Master

washing machine wrote:
Respectfully I disagree. The sound of Dirty really distracts me from the songs. That one is another obvious choice for the Albini treatment if I had a genie and three wishes.

Just for you, I'll put Dirty on right now though. It's been a while. Maybe see you in the SY thread later. :peace:

100% is 100% awesome

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 4:57 pm 
Production Police

VinylGuy wrote:
wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
washing machine wrote:

yeah, and there is always a hint of ...¨everyone is a sellout but me¨ and when he in fact did sold out ( in his own terms) its about ...¨helping a band trying to recreate the sound they always wanted¨

He seems like one of those guys who believes he is smarter than everyone and doesnt seem to get any joy of nothing

The bold part is totally fair! I've never once heard a satisfying answer for why it's ok for him to work with Bush but not for any other major label acts to make a record.

Strat, he wears coveralls at the studio and on the road. It's just to keep his clothes in nice condition when he's crawling around on the floor calibrating a tape machine or setting up drum mics. Most of the other Electrical Audio staff does it too. It's kind of the house style. I find it endearing.

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 5:07 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
washing machine wrote:

The bold part is totally fair! I've never once heard a satisfying answer for why it's ok for him to work with Bush but not for any other major label acts to make a record.

Strat, he wears coveralls at the studio and on the road. It's just to keep his clothes in nice condition when he's crawling around on the floor calibrating a tape machine or setting up drum mics. Most of the other Electrical Audio staff does it too. It's kind of the house style. I find it endearing.

I just wish i could pull it off. Maybe it'll be my MPLS gimmick!

I have no real issue with Albini, other than to razz Trag about him. But, i think the one that thing annoys me about him is probably what trag loves most about him. His attitude towards - everything - is that of an angry psised off 16 year old kid who thinks hes very punk rock. Most people soften, lighten up, adapt as they grow older. I find being an adult with such rigid belief systems to be a massive turn off and shows little to no evolution or heart.

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 5:09 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, i dont really care bout him, and im sure he is a good producer but the guy seems so pissed off at everyone than at this point its just laughable.

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 5:16 pm 
Production Police

He's softened quite a bit! Read his Big Black tour diary, he used to be a monster.

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 5:18 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I don't think Albini is as "rigid" as you're making it sound, Strat. He's explicitly decried a lot of his past tendencies and vitriolic stances. He seems to be a pretty chill (and principled) guy these days.

I like him

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 5:38 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

tragabigzanda wrote:
He's softened quite a bit! Read his Big Black tour diary, he used to be a monster.

oh yeah? read it to me.

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 5:41 pm 
Production Police

dad wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

oh yeah? read it to me.

it is readily available!

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 5:44 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I'm with trag and jorge. Albini is one of the most insightful voices with a perspective on the recording industry and a platform these days. He's direct and calculated when he speaks, which doesn't always feel "kind", but that's not the same as being an asshole.

I didn't always feel this way. Years of restaurant life have hardened me.

Last edited by washing machine on Mon October 30, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 5:45 pm 
The Master

I never once said he aint knowledgeable or insightful, i just think he's smug as fuck.

PostPosted: Mon October 30, 2023 5:47 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

i watched the nirvana interview and he also came off as fuck to me

i was like, "who does this little weird lookin man with the hat think he is and does he work painting houses with tommy dressed like that?"

Last edited by tree_ on Mon October 30, 2023 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands