Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Try to Write You a Love Song - A St. Vincent Thread

Sat October 13, 2018 10:07 pm

The ones I'm most looking forward to are "Sugarboy" and "Pills". I can't wait to hear those arrangements.

Tue October 16, 2018 7:34 pm

Alright, yeah, so this record is gorgeous. Like, TVG said, it really highlights her outstanding vocal talents. I really dig the arrangements. Some of these songs really really shine in his format. I need to listen a few more times before I get too specific but I really love this thing.

Tue October 16, 2018 8:18 pm

Exactly.
She holds the song with so little background music, its impressive.

Tue October 16, 2018 8:33 pm

i love this concept and execution, but i agree with Pete that I'll probably lean into the original when I want to hear these songs. definitely a nice gift for the more rabid fanbase. wish PJ would do something like this.

Tue October 16, 2018 8:44 pm

There are definitely some first impression listens that I prefer to the originals. I'll probably land on a Spotify playlist that's a mix/match of the two. The arrangements are too good in some of these. And Annie's vocals are far to powerful for me not to pull some of these out from time to time. As an "album" experience, yeah, I think I ultimately lean toward the original. But I need to live with both versions longer before making that definitive call.

Tue October 16, 2018 8:44 pm

I got a good deal on the indie-exclusive pink Masseduction this weekend!

Tue October 16, 2018 8:49 pm

i do find it hilarious that she named it Masseducation

Tue October 16, 2018 8:49 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:i do find it hilarious that she named it Masseducation

me too

Tue October 16, 2018 8:54 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:

me too

So, I pre-ordered the vinyl from her website. It arrived yesterday. But funny thing, it wasn't MassEducation, it was Masseduction. I had to send an email to the customer service department about the mix up and it was the most awkward email I've ever written.

I got an immediate response that was basically, "yeah, yeah, we caught it right away. we sent out the correct one. you should have it tomorrow." This was yesterday. Just got notification that it was, in fact, delivered to my apartment an hour ago.

Wonder how often this is happening.

Tue October 16, 2018 8:55 pm

Simple Torture wrote:I got a good deal on the indie-exclusive pink Masseduction this weekend!

That's the one I have!

Well, that's the original one I got. Now I've got a regular one, too. But I think I'm gonna gift that one.

Tue October 16, 2018 9:17 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:So, I pre-ordered the vinyl from her website. It arrived yesterday. But funny thing, it wasn't MassEducation, it was Masseduction.

At first i was like, "the 10c runs her fan club too?

durdencommatyler wrote:I got an immediate response that was basically, "yeah, yeah, we caught it right away. we sent out the correct one. you should have it tomorrow." This was yesterday. Just got notification that it was, in fact, delivered to my apartment an hour ago.

Then i was like, "oh. nevermind."

Tue October 16, 2018 9:22 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:There are definitely some first impression listens that I prefer to the originals. I'll probably land on a Spotify playlist that's a mix/match of the two. The arrangements are too good in some of these. And Annie's vocals are far to powerful for me not to pull some of these out from time to time. As an "album" experience, yeah, I think I ultimately lean toward the original. But I need to live with both versions longer before making that definitive call.

I agree that a mix between albums seems like a good way. There are a few songs that seem overproduced in MS and feel more interesting in ME.
Sure, the real album is MS but its refreshing to hear these versions.

Tue October 16, 2018 9:25 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:So, I pre-ordered the vinyl from her website. It arrived yesterday. But funny thing, it wasn't MassEducation, it was Masseduction.

At first i was like, "the 10c runs her fan club too?

durdencommatyler wrote:I got an immediate response that was basically, "yeah, yeah, we caught it right away. we sent out the correct one. you should have it tomorrow." This was yesterday. Just got notification that it was, in fact, delivered to my apartment an hour ago.

Then i was like, "oh. nevermind."

:haha:

I know I'm jinxing myself here, but I've never actually had any problems ordering merch/music through 10c.

Wed October 17, 2018 3:38 am

durdencommatyler wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

me too

So, I pre-ordered the vinyl from her website. It arrived yesterday. But funny thing, it wasn't MassEducation, it was Masseduction. I had to send an email to the customer service department about the mix up and it was the most awkward email I've ever written.

I got an immediate response that was basically, "yeah, yeah, we caught it right away. we sent out the correct one. you should have it tomorrow." This was yesterday. Just got notification that it was, in fact, delivered to my apartment an hour ago.

Same thing happened to me. Was really looking forward to putting it on the turntable tonight.

Wed October 17, 2018 3:50 am

swan wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

me too

Same thing happened to me. Was really looking forward to putting it on the turntable tonight.

Hopefully, your turnaround is as quick as mine. Three record sounds great!

It's really, to me, akin to a live album. Different arrangements and a nice change is pace.

Wed October 17, 2018 5:08 am

I haven't listened to the whole thing yet but the piano version of Los Ageless is fucking delicious. Really highlights how great of a composition that tune is.

Wed October 17, 2018 12:58 pm

Vinyl did in fact arrive yesterday. Gave it a spin last night and it sounds great.

Wed October 17, 2018 9:01 pm

I feel like the best way to think of this is as a "live album." This performance is hypnotic and brilliant.

Sat October 20, 2018 7:28 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:Vinyl did in fact arrive yesterday. Gave it a spin last night and it sounds great.

Happy to report that the correct copy of the new one also arrived at my door the day after the wrong had come. Looks like they were pretty on top of the screw up. I didn't even have to email customer service.

Anyway, I'm obviously loving this version of the album. Some songs are better than the fully produced take, some aren't. I appreciate having both. Think a mix combining my favorites from each version is order soon.

Sat October 20, 2018 10:33 pm

Slow Disco might be my favorite. Cant stop singing it.
Post a reply