Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: St. Vincent - S/T (Feb 25)

Thu October 19, 2017 7:17 pm

But seriously... I remember this post:
theplatypus wrote:Finally listened to the whole album. The first two songs are a bit shaky, but overall I like it a lot. Often it reminds me of what a non-shoegaze Curve would be (similar sense of precision without the overdriven scuzz). And I like that for this record, the guitar is simply an element, deployed. Not the center of it. Similar to Prince's pop singles. "Los Ageless" is still my favorite song here

And that's not the same thing.

Thu October 19, 2017 7:19 pm

I listened to this album yesterday and mid 80s Prince is all over it.

Thu October 19, 2017 7:22 pm

I'm not overly familiar with Prince. But I'm talking about Sugarboy specifically, no the entire album.

Thu October 19, 2017 7:24 pm

As some one who has heard the album once, I'm walking away from this conversation.

Thu October 19, 2017 7:30 pm

:lol:

You don't have to do that. I think you're probably absolutely right. My ignorance here is on full display. I believe you. I just meant that Sugarboy sounded... familiar to me each time I listened and I couldn't quite figure out which artist it reminded me of. And it's Prince. I probably would have gotten to that conclusion quicker if I knew more of Prince's work. I'm sure it's all over the album, too. She's mentioned him quite a bit in interviews leading up to the release.

Thu October 19, 2017 7:38 pm

The title track is probably my favorite song on this album.

Thu October 19, 2017 7:42 pm

I won't turn off what turns you on, chewn.

Thu October 19, 2017 9:49 pm

I love everything she's ever done, and I think this as just as good or better than any of the other records. Hang on Me, Masseduction, Los Ageless, HB Johnny, Savior, Slow Disco, Smoking Section are going to stay in my ear for years to come, I'm sure. Lyrics are really strong on this album.

Thu October 19, 2017 9:53 pm

After one week of listens...

Strange Mercy (5/5)
Actor (4/5)
Masseduction (4/5)
St. Vincent (4/5)
Love This Giant (3.5/5)
Marry Me (3.5/5)

Fri October 20, 2017 3:01 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Brett wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:I have one Tortoise album that I bought on a lark way back in the day. I should revisit that. I remember liking it well enough but being bummed that it was instrumental. That used to bug me way back when. But I'm way more into non-vocal stuff more now. I should give it a listen.

Which Tortoise album, Joe? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you ever do get to revisit it.

Oh shoot... I forgot to look at home. I'll Google their album covers and see if I can remember which one. Gimme a sec.

It's Millions Now Living Will Never Die.

That's a pretty good entry point for them. It's more concise than TNT, which is my favorite and was my own introduction, and more accessible and fully constructed than their self-titled.

Fri October 20, 2017 3:07 pm

Brett wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Brett wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:I have one Tortoise album that I bought on a lark way back in the day. I should revisit that. I remember liking it well enough but being bummed that it was instrumental. That used to bug me way back when. But I'm way more into non-vocal stuff more now. I should give it a listen.

Which Tortoise album, Joe? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you ever do get to revisit it.

Oh shoot... I forgot to look at home. I'll Google their album covers and see if I can remember which one. Gimme a sec.

It's Millions Now Living Will Never Die.

That's a pretty good entry point for them. It's more concise than TNT, which is my favorite and was my own introduction, and more accessible and fully constructed than their self-titled.

Good to know. I guess I've got a really old album to revisit. That's fun.

Fri October 20, 2017 3:16 pm

After multiple listens and a live show:

Happy Birthday, Johnny
Smoking Section
Savior
Los Ageless
Masseduction
New York
Hang on Me
Slow Disco
Pills

Young Lover
Fear the Future
Dancing with a Ghost
Sugarboy

Fri October 20, 2017 3:19 pm

We have 4 of the same songs in our respective top 5's. :heartbeat:

Sat October 21, 2017 12:45 am

I LOVE this album.

I really like the transition from Sugarboy to Los Angeles (which sounds an awful lot like NIN).

Sat October 21, 2017 2:04 am

Chris_H_2 wrote:I LOVE this album.

I really like the transition from Sugarboy to Los Angeles (which sounds an awful lot like NIN).

I just came here to state how much i am fucking loving Los Angeless

Sat October 21, 2017 2:27 am

Ageless

Sat October 21, 2017 2:33 am

theplatypus wrote:Ageless

Lol. I was texting joey and my computer kept autocorrecting it so i blame siri for beating me down.

Sat October 21, 2017 2:40 am

:lol:

Sat October 21, 2017 2:43 am

But it's misspelled...

Sat October 21, 2017 11:40 am

But, really, aren't we all?
Post a reply