The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 140  Next
 Post subject: Re: St. Vincent - S/T (Feb 25)
PostPosted: Sun October 08, 2017 5:27 pm 
Poster of the Year

I only said I was leaning that way, I don't feel as strongly about it as Kevin Davis or even Jorge probably. Please keep posting about it though, I want to know what's going on.

PostPosted: Sun October 08, 2017 5:31 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I only said I was leaning that way, I don't feel as strongly about it as Kevin Davis or even Jorge probably. Please keep posting about it though, I want to know what's going on.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun October 08, 2017 5:31 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
Quote:
The event, part of Spotify's Fans First program, invited the lauded singer/writer/instrumentalist's most devoted listeners on the streaming platform to a warehouse close to Times Square, with the promise of a sneak peek at St. Vincent's upcoming Masseduction (out Oct. 13) -- and a chance to meet the star born Annie Clark herself. But first, we'd have to join forces with strangers to solve six puzzles inside the dystopian-themed warehouse, each completed challenge unlocking an iPod loaded with one unreleased Masseduction track.

Quote:
In one "room," we scrambled to fill fake prescription bottles with doses of "libido," "sadness" and "anxiety" before listening to "Pills;" in another, we blushed while blindly identifying various sex toys, a task that unlocked the album's title track.

Look I tend to like it when artists do stuff like this as an extension of their musical expression-- Björk did that whole virtual reality exhibit, for example, which is dope -- but c'mon, this Escape Room thing seems super tacky and gimmicky. From the description in this article, it sounds like a promotional tool and very little else-- a thing for people to splatter all over social media with the #MASSEDUCTION hashtag. I won't hold it against the album, but her media campaign surrounding this rollout seems unrelentingly thirsty

I'm immediately struck by how great NIN's rollout for Year Zero was (leaving the USB sticks in random public places). THAT's how you do a cool guerilla marketing campaign that melds the recorded music with the physical environment. This thing Annie is doing would perhaps be more fitting to the Flaming Lips, assuming all the attendees were on drugs.

PostPosted: Sun October 08, 2017 6:02 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
I'm immediately struck by how great NIN's rollout for Year Zero was (leaving the USB sticks in random public places). THAT's how you do a cool guerilla marketing campaign that melds the recorded music with the physical environment. This thing Annie is doing would perhaps be more fitting to the Flaming Lips, assuming all the attendees were on drugs.

:?

I'm trying not to be overly sensitive about this. I'm really am. But this is just ... "You know how you do a big, giant, massive, over-the-top, excessive, high concept, album rollout campagin... you do a small, guerilla marketing campaign! That's how!"

I mean, what?

And that doesn't even address your second point. Which also seems to... well, miss the point. I don't know. I'm probably misreading and being overly sensitive.

PostPosted: Sun October 08, 2017 6:11 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Nevermind I misread the message

Last edited by Jorge on Sun October 08, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun October 08, 2017 6:11 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I'm trying not to be overly sensitive about this. I'm really am. But this is just ... "You know how you do a big, giant, massive, over-the-top, excessive, high concept, album rollout campagin... you do a small, guerilla marketing campaign! That's how!"

I mean, what?

And that doesn't even address your second point. Which also seems to... well, miss the point. I don't know. I'm probably misreading and being overly sensitive.

It's entirely subjective, but in the case of NIN, I see a marketing campaign that is minuscule compared to the music; rather than overshadow the art, it adds a nice tertiary element.

In the case of the Lips, I think their music has gone hand-in-hand with the physical spectacle since day 1; and that the spectacle has certainly overshadowed some of their lesser albums, but has been a great extension of the amazing ones.

PostPosted: Sun October 08, 2017 6:12 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

It's probably not her fault. She's not on 4AD anymore. She's probably under some pressure to grow her audience.

PostPosted: Sun October 08, 2017 6:14 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I just think this Escape Room thing is shit. I mean

Quote:
In one "room," we scrambled to fill fake prescription bottles with doses of "libido," "sadness" and "anxiety" before listening to "Pills;" in another, we blushed while blindly identifying various sex toys, a task that unlocked the album's title track.

Come on

PostPosted: Sun October 08, 2017 6:25 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Yeah, again, I think that sounds like a lot of fun and much more interesting that sitting around a big room on some throw pillows listening to new tracks. To each their own, I suppose.

PostPosted: Sun October 08, 2017 6:25 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:
It's probably not her fault. She's not on 4AD anymore. She's probably under some pressure to grow her audience.

Why would she not want to grow her audience on her own, for her own reasons, regardless of the label?

PostPosted: Sun October 08, 2017 6:30 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I mean, what?

It's entirely subjective, but in the case of NIN, I see a marketing campaign that is minuscule compared to the music; rather than overshadow the art, it adds a nice tertiary element.

In the case of the Lips, I think their music has gone hand-in-hand with the physical spectacle since day 1; and that the spectacle has certainly overshadowed some of their lesser albums, but has been a great extension of the amazing ones.

Sure?

I guess it just sounds to me like you have this version of Annie Clark in your mind that you like and you want her to do things your way rather than her own way and if she's not going to do things your way then she's somehow nothing more than an impostor; an egotistical fame-whore who cares more about units than quality. And I just don't see it that way. At all. None of this stinks of "sell out" to me. Maybe I'm wrong. But it feels to me like you're bringing all your own cynicism and bias from your time in the recording industry and projecting.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here. And I'm sorry if I am. Like I said, maybe my knee-jerk reaction is to defend. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive. But it doesn't feel that way in my gut. I'm not sitting her raging and fuming or anything. I'm just baffled and confused.

None of it matters, though. It's all just so stupid. Just ignore me. I'll let it go after this. Starting..... NOW, NOW

:peace: :heartbeat:

Last edited by epilogue on Sun October 08, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun October 08, 2017 6:32 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

durdencommatyler wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Why would she not want to grow her audience on her own, for her own reasons, regardless of the label?

She probably does. I'm just trying to rationalize why she would do it so crassly. Seems beneath her

PostPosted: Sun October 08, 2017 6:35 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

durdencommatyler wrote:
Yeah, again, I think that sounds like a lot of fun and much more interesting that sitting around a big room on some throw pillows listening to new tracks. To each their own, I suppose.

Why are those the two only options?

Like I said earlier I am not against artists doing this kind of stuff, I'd just like it to be artful and interesting and not a crass, corporate cash-in on a hot trend (the current escape room fad) for maximum exposure.

PostPosted: Sun October 08, 2017 6:43 pm 
Poster of the Year

Maybe she really likes escape rooms?

Poster of the Year

Also trag is being dumb.

Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Like I said earlier I am not against artists doing this kind of stuff, I'd just like it to be artful and interesting and not a crass, corporate cash-in on a hot trend (the current escape room fad) for maximum exposure.

Those aren't the only two options. I just remember something like that happening for Backspacer or Lightning Bolt or one of those, so it was in my mind as one way of doing it.

I hear what you're saying. I have no beef with it, either. I think we just disagree on how this comes across. And how come if these things are done for "maximum exposure" I never hear about them until after the fact? That's not a knock on your statement, it's a legit question! I live in NYC. I follow St. Vincent on all social media platforms and Spotify. I work in Times Square. And I had no idea about this event or the House of Peroni until after they happened.

I mean, Christ! I'm so totally out of every loop. No artist will ever hit "maximum exposure" until I hear about it, I swear to god. The worst.

Last edited by epilogue on Sun October 08, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun October 08, 2017 6:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:

I've never done one. But my wife and her friends did one last year for a birthday and they all had a blast. Seems like a fun time to me.

PostPosted: Sun October 08, 2017 6:45 pm 
Poster of the Year

durdencommatyler wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I've never done one. But my wife and her friends did one last year for a birthday and they all had a blast. Seems like a fun time to me.

So what's next, St Vincent paint night at the pub?

PostPosted: Sun October 08, 2017 6:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

So what's next, St Vincent paint night at the pub?

What's paint night at the pub? Is it at all like mud wrestling?

PostPosted: Sun October 08, 2017 6:50 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

durdencommatyler wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Those aren't the only two options. I just remember something like that happening for Backspacer or Lightning Bolt or one of those, so it was in my mind as one way of doing it.

I hear what you're saying. I have no beef with it, either. I think we just disagree on how this comes across. And how come if these things are done for "maximum exposure" I never hear about them until after the fact? That's not a knock on your statement, it's a legit question! I live in NYC. I follow St. Vincent on all social media platforms and Spotify. I work in Times Square. And I had no idea about this event or the House of Peroni until after they happened.

I mean, Christ! I'm so totally out of every loop. No artist will ever hit "maximum exposure" until I hear about it, I swear to god. The worst.

Doesn't it make sense that the exposure comes afterwards? After the event, with all the writeups and hashtags and shares? Like now. Like how we're discussing it now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 140  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands