The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 139  Next
 Post subject: Re: Try to Write You a Love Song - A St. Vincent Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:22 am 
Future Drummer

swan wrote:
For anyone not on her email list:

https://mailchi.mp/f257644bc781/fear-th ... bcaf182f4f

May 2019

The story behind Actor

The internet told me that my second record turned 10 last weekend.

I experience time as elastic. I know there are scientific theories regarding this topic that are 1) well known and 2) fascinating but irrelevant for the purpose of this brief (and metaphorical) sentiment.

So, I experience time, I imagine, like most people, as elastic. Makes sense, in its way. As musicians, all we have to get best at is timing. Macro and micro. When to sing that lyric. When to play (or more importantly, NOT play) that note. Where to feel that big and little “one.” When the song should keep going. And when the song should end.

But 10 years, however one has experienced them, have gone by since I put out a much labored-over record (some of this suffering was avoidable, but I was unaware of how to ford the river at the time without breaking the leg or getting dysentery...)

I remember having deep and lengthy conversations about 80’s 4AD and Tones on Tail and late Scott Walker records (the Mussolini and beating meat stuff!) with a producer whose work I admired and decided to work with and who convinced me to work on tape.

Turns out, neither of us really knew how to work on tape. Me, being of the burgeoning DIY digital generation with songs a work in progress, used to moving all the puzzle pieces around and he, having no patience for anything that wasn’t his burgeoning polyamorous marriage or recreating Talk Talk’s Laughing Stock. (Genius record and reference. But likely not made with an abusive father figure LITERALLY directing Mark Hollis’s every move.)

I’d spent an incredible amount of time making “no hair on its head shall be disturbed” small ensemble arrangements, brutally, on tape.

As it became clear that this process with the idealist-cum-emotional-fascist* was not going to end fruitfully, I took my reels and reels of tape to my friend Johnny C. Johnny told me some of the songs sounded like outtakes from the Lion King on Broadway. (God bless, Julie Taymor, but not a compliment in this case...). I was lost. I had all kinds of words and melodies but was so beaten up by the other process that i didn’t know how to tie them with these pristine moments.

He told me to go home and write a song in a night. So I wrote “Actor Out of Work” at my mom’s house in my childhood bedroom. I felt like a fraud. I felt like people were frauds. I wanted to be hit. I wanted to hit.

Some mid-morning Starbucks-determination at a bizarre Plano studio in a strip mall and a splash of Here Come the Warm Jets and suddenly we had a song.

Johnny didn’t like the studio gear. It reeked of a little more than a little money but definitely little taste. But we made it work.

We talked about Ramones and Iggy songs and late 70’s guitars plugged straight into consoles and blown up by compressors. We talked about Suicide drum beats. We mocked the giant bean bag chair which served as a couch which was someone’s idea of what musicians do: Lie around. Prostrate. While inspiration gets stoned and says he might strike a little later, he just has some shit to do... (u up?). No. You’re not up.

And anyway, like eating, I prefer to stand when I “create.”

I remember recording the piano on “The Party”. Painstakingly. As I was and am somehow always confused as where my hands should go. Sometimes a gift. Sometimes a liability. But luckily, never a thoroughly modern #metoo. (Zing!)

Piece by piece, Johnny and I went through and completely reworked every song and idea. Lots of Hunky’s veggie burgers and Subway sandwiches and talking. Talking sincere. Talking shit. Making each other laugh with stories about growing up. About Texas. About growing up in Texas.

I remember finishing the record. The relief and panic. And having my mama drive me to the DFW airport immediately afterward, because I was meant to play a few shows in Australia. (Being requested in Australia felt like a cultural coup. Yet after recording, I felt so strange and raw. And then I had to fly across the world in steerage to be another breed — a performer of a person. When I wasn’t sure what person I was after finishing this album.)

There is no time to process during process. As Joni Mitchell sang, you’re just “living on nerves and feelings” before sensing you have done something. And you hope people will hear it. And hear you. And hear themselves. In the songs; I was the empty swimming pool. I was the coward who wanted an iron spine. I was the kid hiding under the bed from a predator. I was the televangelist selling lies but spreading hope. I was the ashtray with the stubbed out cigarette waiting to be cleared by the beleaguered late night bar staff. So were you. You were everything. I was just the same. But brand new. I wanted to be if not free, something just a little closer to it.

I haven’t listened to that record in a while. I have always likened listening to older work to looking at junior high year book photos. If one is lucky, one can muster compassion for one’s younger self. Recognize that time is elastic. Notes are elastic. Lyrics elastic. Could have been anything. Any songs, any ideas at all, anyone at that time. But it was those songs and those ideas and that process and that person. And I am (humbly) proud of it. And so happy that Actor made it to the ears and hearts it did.

Love,
AC

Wow! Thanks for sharing.

I used to live in Plano... it was terrible!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:27 am 
AnalLog

Actor is a great fucking album

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:09 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

swan wrote:

It just is. I probably rank it 3rd among her works but it's easily the one I reach for most often. I'm always in the mood for it.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:04 pm 
AnalLog

durdencommatyler wrote:
swan wrote:

the one I reach for most often

same

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:11 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

swan wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
swan wrote:

the one I reach for most often

same

"let's pour wine in coffee cups and drive around the neighborhood
and shine the headlights on houses until all the news is good"

Not only one of my all time favorite lyrics but also lines that I find myself thinking about/singing in every day life on damn near a daily basis. I fucking love the feeling and the imagery of those words. :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2019 9:59 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2019 10:54 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Wed December 04, 2019 10:18 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2019 3:45 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

According to my Spotify end of decade stats... St. Vincent was my "Artist of the Decade." 8-)

Sounds about right.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2019 4:51 pm 
AnalLog

durdencommatyler wrote:

Carrie is sooo in the friendzone.....

PostPosted: Mon January 06, 2020 4:15 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

:heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2020 4:34 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Annie's gonna be part of the Grammy's tribute to Prince.

Guess I'm watching the Grammy's for the first time since like 98.

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2020 5:07 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

durdencommatyler wrote:

You're probably saved from watching. The Prince tribute concert thing is separate from the show. I think it airs in April.

Definitely excited to hear what she plays.

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2020 5:10 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Stardog Champion wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

You're probably saved from watching. The Prince tribute concert thing is separate from the show. I think it airs in April.

Well hot damn! :hooray:

This just keeps getting better and better!

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2020 5:17 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Yea, this has the potential to be pretty great given some of the names involved. Great chance this is a mess, or at the very least, horribly rushed, if they did this in-show. Far more hopeful for this as a stand-alone show.

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2020 5:21 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Stardog Champion wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Yea, this has the potential to be pretty great given some of the names involved. Great chance this is a mess, or at the very least, horribly rushed, if they did this in-show. Far more hopeful for this as a stand-alone show.

word

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2020 5:21 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Also, I'd be fine with just An Evening of St. Vincent Paying Tribute to Prince. :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2020 5:33 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
Also, I'd be fine with just An Evening of St. Vincent Paying Tribute to Prince. :heartbeat:

I would record that, and it would never leave my DVR.

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2020 5:34 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Stardog Champion wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

:luv:

I'm sure you've posted in this thread a lot but I feel like we haven't crossed paths here much (or I just don't remember). What's your favorite St. Vincent album; song?

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2020 6:44 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

:luv:

I'm sure you've posted in this thread a lot but I feel like we haven't crossed paths here much (or I just don't remember). What's your favorite St. Vincent album; song?

I have to admit, Masseduction has been climbing my St. Vincent rankings since it came out. Seeing that tour certainly helped push me towards that album. I also have a real visceral reaction to the end of Happy Birthday, Johnny. It's not my favorite song, but it's probably the one that moves me the most. I remember a lot of my interactions with and feelings towards people before I went into rehab, and that song never really fails to churn up those memories.

Unrelated but I've been listening to Love This Giant quite a bit this week. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed this album. I can distinctly hear both of them and their individual styles in those songs, but those styles easily blend together in so many of those songs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 139  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands